This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I Need A New War arrives Friday, April 26 via Partisan Records. The third instalment of a trilogy - following 2015's Faith In The Future and 2017's We All Want The Same Things - the new LP once again sees Finn expertly chronicling our complex, often confusing, modern era, drawing deeply felt character studies about regular people trying to respond to extraordinary times, attempting to find connection whilst wondering how to keep pace with a world moving faster than they are. The LP further finds Finn focusing his lens on New York City - his home for the last 18 years.

"Perhaps forward motion is everything," says Finn. "The characters in the songs on this record, and the last two, are trying to keep up and keep their heads above water. They succeed or they don't, but their stories are the tales of their attempts at pushing ahead. And so, with my own push forward, I feel lucky and excited to be sharing these songs and stories."

I Need A New War is available for pre-order now in physical and digital formats. All orders through Finn's official D2C store (HERE) include a bonus digital EP featuring b-sides and alternate versions from the album. Additional exclusives include a one of a kind, signed hardcover lyric book (featuring lyrics to all songs from the trilogy, photos by Dan Monick and a foreword written by celebrated author and journalist Rob Sheffield), signed vinyl, an enamel pin set, and more.

I Need A New War was heralded last month with the first single, "Blankets," available now at all DSPs and streaming services following its exclusive premiere via NPR, which wrote, "'Blankets' contains a lifetime within its four minutes. Things come together ('We hung on for several summers') and things fall apart ['It got druggy and we crumbled']. But for the narrator, no matter what's transpired, some things remain ['Still I haven't never loved her']. There's a sensation of instability, but also a spirit of inevitability, and as with so much of what Finn weaves, there's grace through it all."

I Need A New War was recorded in early 2018 at The Isokon in Woodstock, NY with producer Josh Kaufman and engineer D. James Goodwin, both of whom teamed with Finn on his widely acclaimed previous solo releases. The album features musical contributions from many of his regular solo collaborators, including Kaufman, horn master Stuart Bogie (Arcade Fire, Antibalas), vocalists Annie Nero and Cassandra Jenkins, and drummer extraordinaire Joe Russo.

NPR further praised the new LP, writing, "I Need A New War grapples with consequence. Characters - often referred to by first name - reckon with the lives they've built, reflecting on the circumstances that put them in those positions and places. The tracks, as they frequently do in Finn's body of work, unfold like short stories, with stray observations and specific details setting the scene."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back