'No junk mail' (3 Viewers)

I'm on the side of the householder.If they choose not to recieve unsolicited mails thats their right.Not everyone cares about the same stuff you do.It's a waste of the worlds resourrces also.Roll on paperless society!

Starting on pregnant woaman =bad
Junk mail= also bad

If you are going around about an actual local issue thats important I think you should call in to people in person, you can't expect people to know your not just another junk mailer.

if only there was some way to create a system where people could be emailed a digital version of this junk mail en masse.

sorry to hear you were badly treated diddles - but i have to say im also anti junk mail and consider anything that's not a letter/bill to be junk. such a waste of paper when you see it all piled up

Yeah we had to change our 'no junk mail or we'll kill you' sign (which worked!) to 'no junk mail or political shit or we'll kill you', threw an inverted cross on the end of it too to stop all the fuckin christians who keep calling to the gaff.

Its been pretty much a success except one fianna fail polticians crew constantly dropping stuff through our letter box.

I'm not arguing here, but I'd be interested in hearing of an alternative way of letting people know more about who they're voting for in elections or informing them about important developments in their area.

Posting election leaflets like some parties do is obviously expensive and if you're going to fuck it in the bin you will, whether it has your name and a stamp on it or not.

Calling in to every single house is simply undoable. It took me an hour today to deliver around 150 leaflets. Can you imagine how long it would take me if I knocked on every door?

In an ideal world yes we wouldn't have paper and everyone would have broadband and be computer literate but currently I don't see an alternative.

i think its grand to drop leaflets into gaffs that have no sign up.

And its good for people to personally campaign for politicians they feel can do a good job.

I would imagine that personally speaking to people increases your likelihood of them voting for your guy compared to than if you just leafleted them.
(Edit, actually this is sort of in disagreement to Ro and nooly there I suppose. I think if its something you feel so strongly about you are going to walk the streets and talk to others about (for no financial reward), then its important enough for me to listen for a couple of minutes. That's just me though. You can't be surprised with a number of fuck offs too. )

It would be sort of interesting to find out what the break even point is (in terms of votes) between just leafleting X houses and speaking to Y householders.

Like, if you can only hit 40 houses with knocks on the door, and chats vrs 150 with leaflets only, which gives you the highest returns.
I think a fair amount of leaflets are not even opened.

disclaimer, so, basically I am a fucking sap for this sort of thing.
I will have a chat with Jehovah Witnesses when they come calling, or Mormons, or whomever.
I'll talk for a minute or two, generally do most of the questioning, generally out of genuine curiosity, and then wish them luck.

I dont see the need for aggression or rudeness to other people, generally speaking.

Unless they are cops or something. Obviously like.

(Edit, actually this is sort of in disagreement to Ro and nooly there I suppose. I think if its something you feel so strongly about you are going to walk the streets and talk to others about (for no financial reward), then its important enough for me to listen for a couple of minutes. That's just me though. You can't be surprised with a number of fuck offs too. )
well, i assume MDR meant people who have a sign up, i did anyway. i have a sign up and don't want any election crap. got some christian nonsense through the door a couple of weeks ago, i suppose they thought the word of god was so important everyone would want to hear it. case in point.

oh right, yeah that's possibly what ro meant, no, I would read a sign up as a pre emptive fuck off and just steer clear.

I think its totally fine to knock on doors though, and make your case if its something you believe in.
Even if its the word of God.

You can't assume people want the information that you think is important.

So what do you do? Don't let anyone know about anything?
I'm not dropping flyers for pizza deals or furniture sales here.

Regarding elections, if a candidate is in one of the big parties they or someone else in the party can knock round to people no problem. For an independent candidate it's nigh on impossible to do, so how do they get their message out to people? They rely on volunteers who can spare an hour or two to drop some leaflets.

When the City Council were going on about spending 30 million quid on our local park, they neglected to mention that they would be selling part of it off to build apartments. As I don't check with the planning office every other week, the only reason I found out about it was when a leaflet was put through the door! That's how the campaign against the development started, how protest meetings were arranged, how the locals were kept informed and involved.

There was a protest last Saturday outside the children's hospital in relation to services being cut. How were local people supposed to find out about that unless they received a leaflet? Facebook maybe?

Anyway as I said, I'm not doing it anymore because I'm afraid of arseholes giving me a bollicking. Sure if there's anything important going on I'm sure it will be on the telly.
Power to the people and all that.

I reckon the effectiveness of leafleting has been compromised by the sheer volume of advertising crap that gets shoved through the letterbox on a daily basis

I feel like putting the recycling bin out the front and just asking them to drop it in there to save me the bother

Having a rant at a heavily pregnant lady is retarded, but in fairness I get an awful amount of sh1te in my door at the best of times, so sorry about that diddles...

In all seriousness, how many fcuking times do Dominos change their menu? Cos I get a copy of it every week. And what about those thieving cnuts pretending to be charities asking me to leave my old sh1te outside the door in a black bag to help an orphanage in Moldova?

There was a protest last Saturday outside the children's hospital in relation to services being cut. How were local people supposed to find out about that unless they received a leaflet? Facebook maybe?

You might have missed the memo, but most people don't give a sh1te about anything. Thing is, you can't force people to care...what if I never watch the news or read a paper, are you going to tie me to a chair and make me watch 6 One of an evening?

I'm not arguing here,

haha...you are! Bottom line: if someone has a sign saying no junk, then no junk. Everyone else is fair game. Posters are also good ways of getting local info out without having to do leaflet drops.

Maybe people will vote based on their own opinions and not yours diddles and in the end isn't that what your really complaining about, that know one listens to you knowing best all the time.

Swish!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back