No Disco Nostalgia Thread (2 Viewers)

when Fergals finished cooking a meal does he take off most of his clothes and roll around in it for a bit?

Did he ever do that with Whipping Boy?

I don't think he did you know.

His 'Tonight Matthew, I'm gonna be Iggy Pop' schtick was refreshing at a time when most Dublin frontmen looked to Bono or Joe Elliott for inspiration.

It wore a bit thin the more rehearsed it obviously was.

Then they turned into The Corrs.

dare we have an alternative nation appreciation thread...

Tobyamies1.jpg

Hell no - 120 minutes was the good shit
Miles Hunt had pretty good taste
first saw Devo's Satisfaction vid before I even knew what a Devo was and it blew my tiny tiny mind.

No Disco was great at times - great format
Songs from a tomb is anodyne and depressing beyond thunderdome...and anti-depressants

Informative blog post on the beginnings of No Disco.

This is No Disco | The Blackpool Sentinel

Choice quote:
Brian Boyd, writing in The Irish Times on the week before we aired the first episode, opened his preview as follows ;- ‘Oh dear, they’re at it again. RTÉ are putting on a new young person’s music programme – pass the remote control and make it quick’.

A lot of it passed me by at the time too. I remember writing to him at the Eclectic Ballroom to tell him it wasn't very eclectic because they never played Skinny Puppy. But I did watch it all the time.
They used to have Bowery Electric on in the background while Donal was talking, much and all as I liked his voice I wished he'd get out of the way and turn up that song. Think it was this one:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Endless Art came out in 1990/91, why was it getting a best single/video award three years later?
I remember the video for the song that went " How come I..am always the last to know". Red haired backing singer (who was also an RTE presenter). Jiggly

Used to watch it religiously. Same with Here Comes the Night. He was probably more suited to radio. Uaneen was probably the better TV presenter. Shame there aren't any shows like that anymore.

Yeah it's a shame there is nothing like that now even the Saturday morning video show where they would play Therapy or whatever wouldn't go amiss. No Disco had a little bit of obscure stuff but also did keep up with what was current or going on generally.

Yeah I think once youtube came along (and even Napster to an extent) music videos as a tool of exposure kicked the bucket. They only get watched by people who are already fans or on the odd occasion that there's some gimmick in it that makes it go viral.

People don't watch music on television anymore. I'm pretty sure.
True, it's all Vevo Youtube stuff now.

But it's a pity that there's no regular show with videos + interviews on the telly that provides some sort of a tastemaker service. I think we can all say that we grew up in a time when the charts reflected a wide range of sufficiently decent music, nowadays the Irish top 40 looks like a playlist curated for teenage girls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back