No Disco Nostalgia Thread (1 Viewer)

Even before YouTube came along music shows on Irish tv at least were ratings poison. Other Voices is still shown but its ratings are I'd wager pathetic compared to your average US import drama or what evs.

True, it's all Vevo Youtube stuff now.

But it's a pity that there's no regular show with videos + interviews on the telly that provides some sort of a tastemaker service. I think we can all say that we grew up in a time when the charts reflected a wide range of sufficiently decent music, nowadays the Irish top 40 looks like a playlist curated for teenage girls.

Yeah I think once youtube came along (and even Napster to an extent) music videos as a tool of exposure kicked the bucket. They only get watched by people who are already fans or on the odd occasion that there's some gimmick in it that makes it go viral.

I think they still work as exposure but a more long tailish, slow release way.

Informative blog post on the beginnings of No Disco.

from the guy behind scratch saturday's ever so slightly left of centre pop slot, which was a bit of an anomaly on saturday morning t.v. - a one-stop-shop for info on the go-betweens, microdisney & loads more you'd never otherwise hear mentioned.

I remember writing to him at the Eclectic Ballroom to tell him it wasn't very eclectic because they never played Skinny Puppy. But I did watch it all the time.

wasn't eclectic ballroom john kelly's show? never a man for the pup.

dineen is sorely missed on the airwaves.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

wasn't eclectic ballroom john kelly's show? never a man for the pup.

dineen is sorely missed on the airwaves.

Arg...right on all three accounts. It must have been "Here Comes The Night". I remember the letter though, it was to Donal and it contained the word "eclectic", used in a very reproving manner. He clearly learned his lesson :)
And sher he's never really off the airwaves...
The Sunday Paper Review: Shane Jennings and Donal Dineen talk sledging, doping and social media - Newstalk

Of course Fish was where it was at for my generation

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Of course Fish was where it was at for my generation

That cunt! What was the name of the show on RTE that he did with that model "DJ" who also did a music show on that channel which turned into 3e I think? They always filmed it in tastefully lit hovels.

That cunt! What was the name of the show on RTE that he did with that model "DJ" who also did a music show on that channel which turned into 3e I think? They always filmed it in tastefully lit hovels.
Michelle Doherty on Channel 6? Can't remember the name of the show.

Googled it. She did a show called Nightshift on Ch6 & they both did a show called When Under Ether on RTE2.

RTÉ Television - Programmes - Entertainment - When Under Ether
that's actually a different lad, Fish was some guy called Danann Breathnach. He was full on Richey Edwards with a crucifix at one point.

Still knocking about though

Danann Breathnach - IMDb

Decent band (that isn't P4K darlings or whatevs) with a decent song and interesting video, I link to them on Thumped/Twitter/Facebook, and another person gets hooked.
mmm, it's rare anyone will share a video just for the video though. It happens alright, but not 10 hot new videos every week like back in the day when they were costing millions to make. Hozier's song was pretty much broken by the video though wasn't it?

mmm, it's rare anyone will share a video just for the video though. It happens alright, but not 10 hot new videos every week like back in the day when they were costing millions to make. Hozier's song was pretty much broken by the video though wasn't it?

I think so yeah. Pity poor OK Go, they're right now working on yet another novelty video that will garner them even more diminishing returns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back