night shifts (3 Viewers)

inspector horse

Website
www.hearthsong.com
did a job interview today, went well, job seems to be what i want to do etc etc but it will involve shift work, some being night shifts, 3 nights on 4 days off kinda thing. ive never done night shifts...do they make you go mental??

i am on a late shift now, it all depends on how frequent they are and what time is involved. mine are 1 every 6 weeks and only 3-11 so it is not too bad!

What type of work is it? What are the hours like?
I didn't like working nights at all, but the place I work, most of the full time staff only work nights and they love it.

computer stuff monitoring networks/servers and things. they couldn't give the exact shifts as yet but basically it's 24/7 so i'm guessing the night shifts would be on rotation so i wouldn't have to do them every week but still i dunno if i wanna be getting home as others are going to work

I dunno what ur current situation is (hate your job/unemployed?). But I would not do regular night shifts for double my money.

I did them regularly for one summer as a student and hated it. And now, the very very odd time with my current job as an engineer. Usually its just monitoring newly installed machinery in case it has a shit attack. They make me (more) grumpy and play havoc with my stomach.

If its the case where you'd have to do some work or actual thinking I wouldn't like it. If you could just sleep in the chair getting the odd wake up call i'd consider it.

I dunno what ur current situation is (hate your job/unemployed?). But I would not do regular night shifts for double my money.

I did them regularly for one summer as a student and hated it. And now, the very very odd time with my current job as an engineer. Usually its just monitoring newly installed machinery in case it has a shit attack. They make me (more) grumpy and play havoc with my stomach.

If its the case where you'd have to do some work or actual thinking I wouldn't like it. If you could just sleep in the chair getting the odd wake up call i'd consider it.

have a job but just a public sector not very challenging or career orientated position. Don't do it seems to be the general consensus from people ive talked to. it probably would turn me into a maniac

I managed to stick it for 2 years in a datacentre. Fucking nightmare. Never again. Made me decide to ditch tech entirely. I'd say don't do it.

i had to stay in ONE NIGHT for an install til 6 am. it was only a once off (well not once but very infrequent) . going to sleep at 6 am and waking up at 2pm is very disorientating.
i swore never to work nights in any job - it would kill me.

did it for a few weeks many years ago.

wasn't bad but couldn't stick it on an ongoing basis.

I started the shift at midnight and finished at 8am each morning.
When I got home I stayed up until around 3pm and then went to bed, rising at 10.30pm / 11.00pm and going straight to work - it was only a five minute drive away.

That's the way you do days so why not the same for nights?

Did it last year from may-september.
Drove me mental. It was a high stress project anyway but the shift really killed me mentally.

my flatmate did a few weeks (not consecutive like) of night shifts as a production house runner before xmas.

11pm to 8am. he said he was out of it most of the times. before / after work due to body clock craziness. he said the best part was coming home in the mornings and seeing everyone else goin to work meanwhile youre knowing youre getting straight into bed when ye gets home. but that 6 days straight of it was a bit much.

Well, it's largely been negative so far, but sure I'll post anyway....
I'd recommend it if you had kids at home and bills to pay, almost all my aunts are nurses and that's what they did.

Other night shift people I know didn't seem to mind it, but they didn't seem to have much of a life outside the office. Like, they could only really hang out with the people they worked with, since everyone else was in bed.

You mentioned career-orientated stuff. Is the night shift in this job going to help you get promotions, or will your bosses be at home in bed for half of the shifts you're working?

You lose contact with a lot of your friends!! But if it's different shifts that mightn't be an issue as some weeks you'll be off and stuff. You get more time to do stuff you have in the day ... only thing is you're too tired to do it. It is a nightmare... cos you ended up over compensating for sleep you actually lose out more.

I did nights for about five months once, it wasn't that bad I thought.

I was glad enough to be shot of it at the end though. I dunno, I quite like being alone. You get a lot of alone time doing night shifts. You do spend less time with your friends, although they used to come in and see me a lot in work.

I was riding home in the morning as the sun was rising usually, I would see foxes out and about, see the morning fog, I sometimes went out for a spin on the bike, or I would sleep for a bit, and go off up strolling about the Dublin mountains.

Its a completely different life than the normal mon-fri 9-5 buzz, and that's what I liked about it, I liked being on a completely different time than anyone else.
On the nights off I would drive the bike around at night, head off up to Galway and have breakfast with a mate or something, and then have a nap on his couch when he was in work etc.

I have to say, for me it wasn't that bad at all.
For a while... I dunno how long I would have kept it up, but I had to leave it to get something done.

edit, I was doing a real brain dead job at the time, I dont think I was that smart at the time either, judging from the stuff I got up to. If its an actual thinky type of job, it might be a bit tough. I could drag myself in to work, get the shift done by any means necessary, and then go back out messing again.

did a job interview today, went well, job seems to be what i want to do etc etc but it will involve shift work, some being night shifts, 3 nights on 4 days off kinda thing. ive never done night shifts...do they make you go mental??

I did night shifts in a supermarket before, it was shit enuff, 5 nights a week, cycling to work at midnight. it ended up me sleeping, working and nothing else all week but i could stay up boozin for ages at the weekend.
seriously tho, 3 on 4 off sounds sweet enuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back