New York (1 Viewer)

Mermade.

Hi

I'm going to NY for a week in March including St Patricks Day but not night..it was cheaper that way..
Anyhow I'm a first timer so any tips for pubs/clubs/restaurants/airport transfers (JFK-sounds like a mare to get to/from)/hidden gems etc would be very welcome...
I'm staying on east 15th Street
Cheers

Mermade. said:
Hi

I'm going to NY for a week in March including St Patricks Day but not night..it was cheaper that way..
Anyhow I'm a first timer so any tips for pubs/clubs/restaurants/airport transfers (JFK-sounds like a mare to get to/from)/hidden gems etc would be very welcome...
Cheers

JFK can be pretty mental. To be honest, the most straightforward way to the city is by taxi (bout $50 though). East 15th street means your in and around alphabet city/east village area. Bowry Ballroom and other cools bars/venues are all in that area too. Savage spot. Lived there for 4 months.

you should be able to get a return shuttle (minivan thing) trip from JFK to manhattan for less than taxi fare. try to catch some of the parade on the day - it goes on for about 28 hours or so and can be funny.

i'm not much use for food reccomendations, but if eddie rockets / diner style fast food is your thing then i recommend the veggie chili baked spuds at Burger Heaven.

Silver Jews are playing the Bowry Ballroom on the 17th. Check out www.ohmyrockness.com and www.villagevoice.com for good stuff to do. Not that I could get there because the New York's finest transit workers were on strike, but there's meant to be cool stuff going on in Williamsburg in Brooklyn.

I ate dinner in a really good vegan restaurant called Caravan of Dreams where the food was so good I nearly cried. I went down to the Delancey one night to see Bad Wizard and it looked like there's great stuff all down around that bit of the village in between East 6th St, crossing Houston down towards Delancey St. There's meant to be some club near Tompkins Square where some of the Yo la Tengos DJ. Um, I dunno, there wasn't much time for me to do much 'cos I had to walk EVERYWHERE.

Getting out to JFK is good value - there's some city law that sets a reasonable maximum fare to get there. By far the easiest way.

basically, all you need to know is...

SAILOR:
Hey, why don't ya look where you're goin'.
You'd think it was your first time in New York!

GABEY:
It is!

(The sailors look around them, happily absorbing the scene.)

GABEY, CHIP, OZZIE:
New York, New York!
It's a helluva town!

GABEY:
We've got one day here and not another minute
To see the famous sights!

OZZIE:
We'll find the romance and danger waiting in it
Beneath the Broadway lights;
But we've hair on our chests
So what we like the best are the nights
Sights! Lights! Nights!

GABEY, CHIP, OZZIE:
New York, New York, a helluva town.
The Bronx is up, but the Battery's down.
The people ride in a hole in the groun'.
New York, New York, it's a helluva town!

CHIP:
(points to Empire State Building)
Hey, Gabey! Gabey, look.

(consulting his guidebook with reverence and excitement)

Gabey, it says here "There are 20,000 streets in New York,
not counting MacDougal Alley the heart of Green-Witch Village,
a charming thoroughfare filled with..."

OZZIE:
Here we go again!

CHIP:
The famous places to visit are so many,
Or so the guidebooks say.
I promised Daddy I wouldn't miss on any.
And we have just one day.
Got to see the whole town
From Yonkers on down to the Bay.

GABEY, CHIP, OZZIE:
In just one day!

New York, New York, a visitor's place,
Where no one lives on account of the pace,
But seven millions are screaming for space.
New York, New York, it's a visitor's place!

(Two sailors enter, weaving and weary-looking -
one happy, one very glum.)

GABEY:
Hey! Look who's comin' back! It's Tom and Andy!

OZZIE:
Hey, Tom, Andy! Hey, fellas, how are the New York dames?

ANDY:
Wonderful - I don't remember a thing!

TOM:
Awful! I remember everything!

(Tom and Andy exit.)

OZZIE:

Manhattan women are dressed in silk and satin,
Or so the fellas say;
There's just one thing that's important in Manhattan,
When you have just one day;
Gotta pick up a date...

CHIP:
Maybe seven...

OZZIE:
Or eight
On your way.

GABEY, CHIP, OZZIE:
In just one day!

New York, New York, a helluva town.
The Bronx is up, but the Battery's down.
The people ride in a hole in the groun'.
New York, New York, it's a helluva town!!

Mermade. said:
Hi

Cheers

There are always taxi drivers there waiting for the Irish flights in particular. The fare is $35 to any manhattan location. You can arrange with the same driver (not yellow cabs) to pick you up and bring you back to the airport when you are leaving. If you want cheap shopping for clothes and stuff go to Jersey Gardens or Woodbury Common. They are about 45 minutes outside manhattan but you can save a fortune. Your taxi driver will let you know the rates.

Check out McSorleys Ale House. It'll be jam-packed on St. Patricks Day though.

If you want any culture, check out the American Museum of Natural History.
www.amnh.org
and also check out the Rose Centre for Air and Space for their planetarium. Absolutely mind-blowing.
http://www.amnh.org/rose/?src=h_p
To be honest jsut walking around is entertainment enough in Manhattan.

Go to Ri FI Fi in the east village. Its a good dive bar and when I was djing in there once we met scarlet johannssen. wow! It also has burlesque on sunday nights.
Fritz is great. Its the yummiest fries in the east village, belgian , and 100 sauces for them, think its on 1st or 3rd. Also go to nolita, it's my favorite place to eat. Go to Rice on Mott st. its yum! sam prekpp and archer prewitt are playin there the 19th of march.
Parade is weird!

so far my only plans are
-wool shops
-opera
-whitehouse/wolf eyes/pig destroyer
-ferry around manahattan
i think that should fill a week quite nicely.

If you go over to the Lincoln State Park in New Jersey you'll have a perfect view of the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building and Chrysler building, keep in mind Jersey is as rough as fuck....

and check out what colour the lights are on the Empire State building as they're different depending on the time of year

Go see the Lion King!

Definitely go into Madam Tussauds and get the ballbags scared off you in the House of Wax (I still haven't forgiven those bastards)

Visit Doherty's Bar E 52nd between 2nd and 3rd, ask for Vinnie or Ronan

DON'T go to Lindy's Diner they charge you €8 for a slice of cheesecake

and......that's my input for now

Also, check out the awesome scenes of urban destruction in Greenpoint. (above Ash st - Nothing but abandoned warehouses, skybridges and empty lots, as well as a secret huge indoor skate bowl)

You can go down as far as the edge of the river and look across the water to the manhattan skyline. Interesting contrast.

don't eat the chinese food over there it's worse than ours.

Although I liked going into McDonalds in Chinatown and being greeted by a Chinese dude (funnily enough) "we'cum too McDonal's" awwwww

ms.b.haven said:

Except for pretty much all of Chinatown

*eyeroll

there's veggie Dim Sum which is cheap and excellent on 24 Pell St (just off Mott - google maps is your friend)

ms.b.haven said:

Although I liked going into McDonalds in Chinatown and being greeted by a Chinese dude (funnily enough) "we'cum too McDonal's" awwwww

kinda like the time i went for mexican food in galway - get this! - and there was a fuckin mick behind the counter (funnily enough) "whaaadeeya waaant"

really! no shit, i think i know mick
oh shit said:
kinda like the time i went for mexican food in galway - get this! - and there was a fuckin mick behind the counter (funnily enough) "whaaadeeya waaant"

oh shit said:
visit brooklyn :heart:

subway to brooklyn, pizza in Grimaldi's (under the bridge), dessert in the brooklyn ice cream factory (on the riverfront, great view), then walk back across the brooklyn bridge.

oh oh oh nearly forgot the Roosevelt Island tram. amazing. and cheap. it was attacked by king kong! http://world.nycsubway.org/us/ritram/

ms.b.haven said:
DON'T go to Lindy's Diner they charge you €8 for a slice of cheesecake

I was there last November for breakfast. For those of you who have never been. The staff in Lindy's are all Broadway -level struggling singers/actors/dancers. There is music playing and the staff sing over it, using microphones. It sounds rubbish but it is great.
This ridiculously gorgeous blonde waitress sang all of "you make me feel like a natural woman" to me. It was quite an embarrassing 5 minutes but she was unbelievable and the girl could really sing.
I love her.:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back