Happy Restarts - copied from MySpace (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NecroSteve

Monday, March 03, 2008

Biggin UP Belfast!!!!

band.gif

Belfast Front Page Feb 29 2008

okay I'm writing this blog as a thank you to the punks of Norn Iron!! We have gotten so much feedback from these guys over the years it is incredible! The Belfast punk scene seems to embody the whole idea of D I Y Punk rock. A scene can only be as good as you make it...and in Belfast they seem to have it cornered!
I was at home practicing my Norn Iron speak "bout Ye -we're the Restarts so we are" When I realised that my passport had expired three weeks ago! F U C K!!!!! I was dreading having to cancel the gig, if they wouldnt let me on the plane! This was NOT an option! Technically Belfast is a domestic flight, so I would be alright with any picture ID! As it turned out both EasyJet and Stansted security failed to notice my passport was out of date on 3 separate occasions (really tightening up national security eh boys?)
The flight was quick and painless, well not so much painless as my ears always swell up like a pressure cookers when flying, so after a quick gin and tonic we were already descending before i could get a second drink in!

We were met at the airport by Josh from Straight Up Promotions http://www.myspace.com/josh_belfast_punx at the baggage carrousel, thus quelling my fears that we didnt have a final customs check (they definitely WERENT "On to Me!!")lol - We went straight to the pub where we were fed a lovely vegan thai curry, and began setting up the PA for soundcheck etc! Everyone we met involved in putting on the gig was really fucking welcoming!! Some cities give off a certain personality, Belfast's would be akin to a good friend, always makin you laff, totally reliable, and someone whose always got your back! The Front Page pub was a bit dive-y but had all the charm of a private house party, the bouncers on the door let the punks police themselves, and let kids of all ages come in! All Ages gigs is something that we are trying to press for, from now on. As pubs in the UK seem to all of a sudden be putting 18+ only on flyers -THIS SUCKS!! there shouldnt be an age limit on seeing live music!

Anyhow with soundcheck complete, the pub started to fill up pretty quickly, we then met Eric (Ark) and Katrin (friends from London and Bremen) plus Darragh's brother Sioda and friend Spratzer who drove up from Dublin! Was nice to meet a few people who had been messaging us from Belfast, including Alana, whose prior engagement with a bottle of Jagermeister left her totally trollied!!!.... you GO girl! I guess Wattie had his work cut out for him that night ;) lol! We were chuffed to see the amount of home made restarts logos and tshirts, it is encouraging to see a DIY approach in the punk scene. Seems nowadays kids are all too eager to just buy their way into punk, and as always, punk is more about an attitude and not about wearing the right clothes!!! innit! We do however thank you for supporting us through our merchandising as this seems to be the only way for an unsigned band to exist with todays costs of touring (petrol, flights and time off work etc)
DIY.gif

All the bands who played were great, and when it came time for us to hit the stage, the people were well primed for a dance...or should i say the seething mob of twisted bodies seemed to throb like a viral organism!!! lol At one point some crowd surfer got his trainer caught up in a plug hanging down from one of the stage lights, while the rest of the crowd was folding over on top of itself - right as we were about to break into a fast bit!!! Alot of people were up dancing on the stage, which always makes us feel welcome, and luckily none of us got a mic stand in the face!! Always a bonus!! (remember we LIKE our teeth!!!) The vocal monitor and Robin's guitar pedals got unplugged a few times...but there in lies the characteristics of small DIY punk gigs. We much prefer that chaos over the sterile, controlled environment at larger commercial concerts.The gig was apparently sold out, so apologies to anyone that couldnt get in! We had a choice of playing a bigger venue, but were told that the other venue was very strict about NOT letting anyone under 18 in, so we chose to go with the Front page!
Joshm8.jpg

So to summarise we want to give a big THANK YOU to Josh for organising the gig, transport, after party etc... and to everyone who came out and made us feel so welcome! Cheers to Coli and Leslie for the sleeping digs and lift back to the airport! and a big thanks to all the people that came up and talked to us!
Belfast - you should be proud of the scene you have got, solely built on the DIY ethos! If your scene sucks, take example from this city, you dont have to live in a huge cosmopolitan city, you just need to organise your selves and make it better!!
UP THE BELFAST PUNKS!!!!

xThe Restarts
belfastblog.gif

We were chuffed to see the amount of home made restarts logos and tshirts, it is encouraging to see a DIY approach in the punk scene. Seems nowadays kids are all too eager to just buy their way into punk, and as always, punk is more about an attitude and not about wearing the right clothes!!!
DIY.gif

and luckily none of us got a mic stand in the face!! Always a bonus!! (remember we LIKE our teeth!!!)

1) Thats Ben from Galway but he uses Gelatine for those spikes!
2) Kieran did get hit by a mike in the face though! I have it on the film I did of the gig!!

Great write up and as I said to Iain earlier tonight that they really did enjoy the gig!

"At one point some crowd surfer got his trainer caught up in a plug hanging down from one of the stage lights, while the rest of the crowd was folding over on top of itself "-haha!that was me up in that tangle and while i was up there i almost got my eye poked out by one of Bens gelatine super spikers....moral of story:gelatine spikes are dangerous and the gig wouldn't be half as good if it wasn't for the dublin and galway crowd present at this gig.

i almost got my eye poked out by one of Bens gelatine super spikers....moral of story:gelatine spikes are dangerous and the gig wouldn't be half as good if it wasn't for the dublin and galway crowd present at this gig.

haha I remember that it sliced yer eyelid open! and yeah, us out of towners are what made the night such a cracker...:p

i really disagree with the restarts on the whole scene thing all to often gigs for touring bands are fuckin empty,,there are fuck all people who actually do any thing, no distros, no zines, and with out people like cormac and jonnie and james yearly fest, the scence would be vertuly non existant, but fair play to josh for actually tryin to do some thing

i really disagree with the restarts on the whole scene thing all to often gigs for touring bands are fuckin empty,,there are fuck all people who actually do any thing, no distros, no zines, and with out people like cormac and jonnie and james yearly fest, the scence would be vertuly non existant, but fair play to josh for actually tryin to do some thing

just out of interest are you commenting on the nordie scene or the whole lot of ireland ?

Musta been a good gig though.

Yeh totally agree with Colm here. Its really annoying to see that gigs like this are totally packed out with people, which is a good thing that there are people going but when other bands play that you know all the punks would enjoy they never show up ever. I'm glad that the Restarts went well for all involved but I just wish I knew were these people are when lesser known DIY bands play Belfast.

Maybe The Restarts are very popular?
Seriously they're a well established Punk band, of course they're going to pack the place out.
How often do The Restarts play Belfast? The local bands play a lot I would imagine.

Maybe The Restarts are very popular?
Seriously they're a well established Punk band, of course they're going to pack the place out.
How often do The Restarts play Belfast? The local bands play a lot I would imagine.

It was also their only gig in Ireland.

I don't think Mackle is talking about local bands though.

Exactly to the 1st point.....
and if he was referring to overseas bands obviously they're not well known enough or popular enough.....tisn't rocket science.
I will add though I watched GBH in The Temple bar in Dorset street once with a total audience of about 12 and this was only 7 or so years ago.. :D

Exactly to the 1st point.....
and if he was referring to overseas bands obviously they're not well known enough or popular enough.....tisn't rocket science.
I will add though I watched GBH in The Temple bar in Dorset street once with a total audience of about 12 and this was only 7 or so years ago.. :D

Exactly. It's not about supporting a DIY scene it's about going to see popular bands, unfortunately.

The last few years of the Winter fest gigs in Belfast have been poorly attended now I find that more vexing.....established DIY bands etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back