Happy Restarts - copied from MySpace (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is after turning into a really interseting thread!! A lot of issues raised that I've been thinking about lately. Must say I really agree completely with this post:
its not bout wearing the t-shirts etc. fuck i still wear the odd rancid t-shirt and have an afi tattoo that i got done 6 or 7 years ago, i mean stanto wears rancid and anti-flag hoodies and is one of the coolest mother fuckers you'll ever meet, the point i was trying to get across is that these kids or the vast, vast majority of them dont want to look past whats been put out or being put on by the majors, they have no interest in looking into the diy scene at all, their inclusion in the scene could force the loss of some venues possibly, i mean like venue owners can just bout put up with the punks as it is without the black parade marching through their venue or hanging out outside it screaming etc. i whole heartedly would welcome the ones that want to be there and have a genuine interest in the scene. i suppose the ones who make the transition into the diy scene are the ones who were truly there for the music and not the look, yeah posters flyers should be handed out in temple bar round the central bank, i suppose its a case of seeing who's who then and helping them make the transition
Without a doubt the vast majority of these kids have fuck all real interest in Punk (or whatever "alternative" music style they claim to be into-metal,emo etc.). Hell, I'm only 18 and already almost every single one of the "alternative kids" I knew between the ages of 12-17 have totally grown out of that braindead teenage rebellion phase and no longer even pretend to be interested in music. But as someone quite rightly said earlier in the thread we could all probably have been branded as one of those central bank kids at some stage, and there are surely some kids hanging out there who would love the DIY scene if they were exposed to it. Blatant posers aside, a lot (well some at least...) of those kids with Rancid tees have the potential to really get to love a lot of the DIY punk bands in the Irish scene at the minute, so yeah I really do think postering/flyering Temple bar etc. is a great idea.

Also for a lot of people who aren't yet completely obsessed with going to shows just for the sake of the music, but who would still be intersted enough to want to check out some of the bands, going to a small DIY gig on their own (as in when all their friends are just posers who couldn't be arsed) can be kind of intimidating. Not saying that DIY shows are intimidating places-that's the last thing we'd want, it's just these kids are used to humungous venues where everything is annonymous-polar opposite of the DIY underground. This isn't only for younger teenagers, I've even met 18/19 year olds in my college who just wouldn't go to gigz coz they'd feel like loners/losers/outsiders/blah blah blah. I think for this reason it's really worth actually going up and talking to the Rancid punx kids and being friendly and letting 'em know they'd be welcome etc.

There certainly is a heck of a lot of people who go to the big corporate punk (term used very loosely) concerts with bands like The Dropkick Murphys, Rancid, Anti-Flag, NOFX, and whoever else ya can think, of who would never show up at the DIY show the next day, no matter how similar the music would be. This used to piss me off no end but lately I was thinkin what a good idea it would be to just show up before these shows and hand out flyers for proper DIY gigs/sell zines/hand out demos or compilation CDRs to those queuing up. Unfortunately not living in Dublin this hasnt been possible for me, might go up there with a couple of mates one of these days to do just that though. Was also thinking that it'd be a great idea to just leave a stack of CDR compilations of Irish DIY bands (somthing like the FTS rex "Punk in Ireland cd) in places frequented by the Black parade-type kids--places like Asha in Stevens Green, Georges st. Arcade etc. Or places like Chaos or The Gaff here in Galway. Like Dregin said at the start, getting non-punk "alternative" folk to come to gigs is a great way to boost the scene. We're really lucky here in Galway that most people tend to go to most gigs, otherwise the Punk shows Dan puts on would be empty lol! Unlike in Belfsat or Dublin there just aint enough punx here to fill venues on our own. This also leads ot some fantastic sights at gigs though-such as the gang of big tough Black metal heads all circle headbanging while The Mingers were playing the other week-LOL!

Hmm, well that's my two cents (more like two thousand words by now!) for now anyway. I'll probably think of more to add in a bit...DIY OR DIE!!

i love the tags put on this thread, the best one there has got to be "retard punks dont like change"

why dont yis just post that as a comment ????

people can go to whatever gigs they want too, but it would be good to encourage them to go to d.i.y gigs.
but...
i think these days people seem to think its ''more punk'' to dislike bands who have actually broke into the mainstream music scene such as rancid/nofx/dropkick murphys., but without these mainstream or ''corporate bands'', soooooo many younger people who are sitting watching MTV wouldnt of got the chance to find out about punk rock.
and for those young ''new'' punx the ''do it yourself' ethic dosesnt kick in untill youve been a punk for a bit longer, (when you start to realise what the craic is).

its not like ''whos playing tonight then???'', ''you know that really shit band who cant play music, but hey!!! its a d.i.y. gig so we are compelled to go to it now'',

people can go to whatever gigs they want too, but it would be good to encourage them to go to d.i.y gigs.
but...
i think these days people seem to think its ''more punk'' to dislike bands who have actually broke into the mainstream music scene such as rancid/nofx/dropkick murphys., but without these mainstream or ''corporate bands'', soooooo many younger people who are sitting watching MTV wouldnt of got the chance to find out about punk rock.
and for those young ''new'' punx the ''do it yourself' ethic dosesnt kick in untill youve been a punk for a bit longer, (when you start to realise what the craic is).

its not like ''whos playing tonight then???'', ''you know that really shit band who cant play music, but hey!!! its a d.i.y. gig so we are compelled to go to it now'',

Nobody is saying you should have to go to every gig just cause its DIY man but it would be nice to see some support from the punks. You say the DIY ethic doesn't kick in until later but I can think of plenty of Belfast punks who never go to any gigs ever.

Last night was another suitable example of Belfast shitty attendance at Perth Express and Flu.id

look at things realisticly, if i booked a band that every1 had heard of and every1 liked , obbbbvvvviously theres gonna be more people there than a gig of a band no1 has ever heard of, also due to the fact that the word of big gigs spreads like hell.
its just the way it is, and probably the way it will always be....for obvious reasons

no harm can be done by temple bar kids being aware of diy gigs.most of em probably wont give a fuck but there could be one or two who like what they hear and end up blowing us all away in a few years with their own band.

Well if the promoters gave out leaflets at the Central bank for a forthcoming gig and it included something like €2 off with flyer u'd get to see if it had any effect, you only do a limited amount of flyers just for the area itself etc?

If those fliers end up all over the street you'll be done for littering if ya have details of a gig or shit on it. Think Conor was stung with that.

aye me self and the misses were talkin bout that last night, connor got done after the may day fest if i remember correctly, look as i said theres no harm in pasing out the flyers there, one or two might come, the others wont cause they dont want to look past the bigger gigs or blast gigs.

Here.....wouldn't loads of underage people in a pub be bad especially with the way things are at the moment with venues getting pissed off with people fighting, drinking cans etc?

If it's for an all ages gig then great. But if loads and loads of underage people start turning up it could get messy....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back