new sufjan stephens. (1 Viewer)

its damn good, some amazing arrangements.I found Michigan, at times, to sound a little "cramped", everything seems to have found its place a little better here.

its quite like michigan except with more of nearly eeverything. more complex arrangements, more instrumentals, more nonsense titles! but yes its excellent. there's a little streak from come on feel the illinoise thru john wayne gacy, jacksonville to decatur that's really really excellent.

coast to coast said:
its quite like michigan except with more of nearly eeverything. more complex arrangements, more instrumentals, more nonsense titles! but yes its excellent. there's a little streak from come on feel the illinoise thru john wayne gacy, jacksonville to decatur that's really really excellent.

I love that section of it. When it leaked a couple of months ago I really wasn't mad about it, I thought it was basically a rehash of stuff that he'd already done and that his desire to make progress in the 50 states project had prevented him from moving forward musically. About 10 days later I realised how good it was and felt silly. I still prefer "Michigan" though.

Anyone hear the arts show on Newstalk yesterday? They played a couple of the songs and everyone that texted in hated them.

ramps said:
ooh yes please. thanks dudster.

I think it a lags a little towards the middle/end, but comes back for the last three tracks... but that's more to say that the middle/end is jjust slight less bloody amazing as the rest of it. Some Amazing Lenny Bernstein, West Side Stroy, type moves in it

All told I think I prefer Michigan for just being that little less overblown, but again it's all deadly deadly stuff

so have yis managed to tidy up yet?

Pantone247 said:
I think it a lags a little towards the middle/end, but comes back for the last three tracks... but that's more to say that the middle/end is jjust slight less bloody amazing as the rest of it. Some Amazing Lenny Bernstein, West Side Stroy, type moves in it

All told I think I prefer Michigan for just being that little less overblown, but again it's all deadly deadly stuff

im living in wellington in NZ and got the sufjan with the superman on the front. the album is great. huge range of stuff on it. some songs lead by piano on the same style as michigan but he really pushes it here. the third song is incredible and the fifteenth track(im hopeless with song titles and if youve seen the track listing you'll know why im at a loss to remeber them) is outstanding.
the most refreshing artist around after joan of arc-of course

yea i love that 15th track.the third song is a bit too much like a song on michigan,i hate when artists repeat themselves.i fuckin love the first song too.you hear it and go this is going to be somwthing special.it'll take a while before i can give a proper opinion,it's a colossal album in every sense

Squalch said:
im living in wellington in NZ and got the sufjan with the superman on the front. the album is great. huge range of stuff on it. some songs lead by piano on the same style as michigan but he really pushes it here. the third song is incredible and the fifteenth track(im hopeless with song titles and if youve seen the track listing you'll know why im at a loss to remeber them) is outstanding.
the most refreshing artist around after joan of arc-of course

I like that he rips off the Cure on 'Come On! Feel The Illinois! Trumpet line from Close To You I think. Second half of that track is the second best thing he's ever done. I like it way more than my hangover.

Vinnie said:
I like that he rips off the Cure on 'Come On! Feel The Illinois! Trumpet line from Close To You I think. Second half of that track is the second best thing he's ever done. I like it way more than my hangover.

yes! it's definitely the trumpet line from "close to you"! is it credited, do you know, those of you who aren't (ahem) still listening to their leaked copy from the internet? i must actually buy a copy, i think it's absolutely brilliant, probably better than the michigan one. the arrangements are gorgeous, and i had "jacksonville" stuck in my head for about a week. insanely catchy.

i mysteriously don't have a hangover. vinnie, perhaps you have mine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back