new liverpool thread - everyone loves them (10 Viewers)

how does he want the game played? the way i like is you score more goals than the opposition and take home the tin. it's the stuff i was brought up on. not you take one of worlds footballs biggest, most successful teams and get them a glorious moral victory in a semi final exit in your capital city against an italy team with marco fucking materazzi in it. kilnsy was revolutionary at germany, insofar as he perached the 4-4-2 diamond system, utterly alien to german football. it wouldn't was in the premiership, much as it didn't wash against the eyeties. klinsy, no.

This doesn't make much sense. Again you're contradiciting yourself from earlier points.

Can you make up your mind re: the last World Cup as to whether there was 'no expectation of Germany to do well' or whether they were one of the 'worlds footballs biggest, most successful teams'?

You reckon the game should be played by...'you score more goals than the opposition and take home the tin' then berate the Italians for 'scoring no goals' and being a 'team with marco fucking materazzi in it'.

Why not judge Klinsmann on what he did achieve as German national coach rather than slate him because Hicks/Gillett/Parry spoke to him.

BTW you didn't hear a single whisper from Munich when they were negotiating with him despite Beckenbaur/Rumminege/Maeir(spl?)'s penchant for shooting their mouth off.

This doesn't make much sense. Again you're contradiciting yourself from earlier points.

Can you make up your mind re: the last World Cup as to whether there was 'no expectation of Germany to do well' or whether they were one of the 'worlds footballs biggest, most successful teams'?

You reckon the game should be played by...'you score more goals than the opposition and take home the tin' then berate the Italians for 'scoring no goals' and being a 'team with marco fucking materazzi in it'.

Why not judge Klinsmann on what he did achieve as German national coach rather than slate him because Hicks/Gillett/Parry spoke to him.

BTW you didn't hear a single whisper from Munich when they were negotiating with him despite Beckenbaur/Rumminege/Maeir(spl?)'s penchant for shooting their mouth off.
arse. there was no expectation on the german team because klinsy had done so badly with them the two years precedeing the tournament. and yet they had a really talented squad. a decent manager could have won that tournament for germany, all the odds were in their favour..home ground and all. a decent coach won the cup for italy and they were no great shakes. you say their football was easy on the eye, but i'd rather have been italian by the end of the cup, regardless of the snore fests they put on. football is in the eye of the beholder, of course, but when it comes down to it, marco fucking materazzi is polishing his medal. if you're a neutral in football, you're never gonna be cheering for the winners. i am judging klinsmann on his german performance. it was a failure, and it needn't have been.

i can cut and past verbatim from the guardian if you'd like.

arse. there was no expectation on the german team because klinsy had done so badly with them the two years precedeing the tournament. and yet they had a really talented squad.

Record in *friendlies* preceding the World Cup under Klinsmann>>>Won 13 Drew 5 Lost 5

If they had a really talented squad how come there was no expecation of them to succeed?
You're not making much sense.

The average age of that German team was 22. For them to have done as well as they did & in the style that they did was pretty remarkable-and mostly down to Klinsmann's galvanizing of a young squad and not kowtowing to what Beckenbaur said ought be done.

snorefest? oh fuck you! that Italy v Germany game was freakin amazing! pure end to end stuff with both teams playing quality attacking and defensive football. the germans just came apart in extra time. what the hallll are you yammering on about?!

Record in *friendlies* preceding the World Cup under Klinsmann>>>Won 13 Drew 5 Lost 5

If they had a really talented squad how come there was no expecation of them to succeed?
You're not making much sense.

The average age of that German team was 22. For them to have done as well as they did & in the style that they did was pretty remarkable-and mostly down to Klinsmann's galvanizing of a young squad and not kowtowing to what Beckenbaur said ought be done.
that's a poor record. when they lost 4-1 to italy there were calls for his head on a plate. jurgen was deeply unpopular. the general consensus was germany would be shit because of him. and they weren't shit. but neither were they as good as they could have been.

the average age was closer to 26. key players were klose, ballack, frings, schneider, the kids were lads like jansen, odonkor and hanke, who didn't play. and of course there was luckas podolski, who for the record has scored once in the league in the last year. if he'd picked some decent defenders, rather than the callow mertesacker, average huth and solid but can't get his game at real metzelder, they might have been able to hold out against the eyeties. christian worns would have been perfect, but of course, jurgen had fallen out with him. something to do with his world class man management. he had commendable faith in the youth, but it was ultimately misplaced, and given that this was a real opportunity to win the fucker, it was badly timed. picking jens lehmann was also a big mistake.

a decent manager could have won it, that's what i'm saying. look at italy. lippi didn't bring the under fives along to prove some point. if we are to judge jurgen on his managerial career to date, as you keep asking, it is in my eyes a failure. and there's my reasons.

snorefest? oh fuck you! that Italy v Germany game was freakin amazing! pure end to end stuff with both teams playing quality attacking and defensive football. the germans just came apart in extra time. what the hallll are you yammering on about?!
i watched it as an impartial observer, not as a ice creaming muching, vespa riding, half-way-thru-the-war-changing-sides-er, burlesconi voting, scillachi cheering, shiv carrying, grease collecting itali-phile like your self. you can't see what's true, hugh, you just can't.

that's a poor record. when they lost 4-1 to italy there were calls for his head on a plate. jurgen was deeply unpopular. the general consensus was germany would be shit because of him. and they weren't shit. but neither were they as good as they could have been.

the average age was closer to 26. key players were klose, ballack, frings, schneider, the kids were lads like jansen, odonkor and hanke, who didn't play. and of course there was luckas podolski, who for the record has scored once in the league in the last year. if he'd picked some decent defenders, rather than the callow mertesacker, average huth and solid but can't get his game at real metzelder, they might have been able to hold out against the eyeties. christian worns would have been perfect, but of course, jurgen had fallen out with him. something to do with his world class man management. he had commendable faith in the youth, but it was ultimately misplaced, and given that this was a real opportunity to win the fucker, it was badly timed. picking jens lehmann was also a big mistake.

a decent manager could have won it, that's what i'm saying. look at italy. lippi didn't bring the under fives along to prove some point. if we are to judge jurgen on his managerial career to date, as you keep asking, it is in my eyes a failure. and there's my reasons.

If your Auntie was your Uncle etc. Examine what Klinsmann did achieve rather than pointlessly imagining what might have been.

Look at Germany's national side after Klinsmann's departure? Pretty much the same group of players but most definitely not the same team.

i watched it as an impartial observer,
Yeah as impartial as Liam Brady watching Arsenal. Exhibit 'A' m'lud:
not as a ice creaming muching, vespa riding, half-way-thru-the-war-changing-sides-er, burlesconi voting, scillachi cheering, shiv carrying, grease collecting itali-phile like your self. you can't see what's true, hugh, you just can't.

Look at Germany's national side after Klinsmann's departure? Pretty much the same group of players but most definitely not the same team.

Hmmm, dubious. They qualified at a canter for the Euros. It might not have been the strongest group but they barely broke sweat and you can only beat what's in front of you, as they say.
When did any of the top European teams ever play scintillating football in qualification? Never. They do enough.

Hmmm, dubious. They qualified at a canter for the Euros. It might not have been the strongest group but they barely broke sweat and you can only beat what's in front of you, as they say.
When did any of the top European teams ever play scintillating football in qualification? Never. They do enough.

Yeah that's fair enough. I was trying to suggest that Germany played more attractive football in the WC under Klinsmann than they did in qualifying for the Euros after his departure.

i think this argument has gone way off the original point: klinmann is in no way better qualified than rafa benitez when it comes to managing a club like Liverpool. he is no position to cast judgement on rafa's tactics or transfer targets. his only credentials are the world cup run, and i agree with hector: he was not the best manager at the tournament and a better manager could have won it with that squad. sven eriksson, for example (ha!)

i think this argument has gone way off the original point: klinmann is in no way better qualified than rafa benitez when it comes to managing a club like Liverpool.

Sorry I thought the original crux of the discussion was Hector's assertion re: Hicks/Gillett that 'they've already proved they know nothing of football management by talking to klinnsmann who was devastatingly average as germany manager, and deeply unpopular, not least cos of his refusal to leave america.'

so you're arguing that hicks and gilette made a good choice, showed astute knowledge of football management, by talking to klinsmann.

again i feel you've jumped over the fence, baby

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back