new liverpool thread - everyone loves them (2 Viewers)

Highlights online only seem to be of the goals, which is a shame, but sounds like it was very good stuff. Don't forget it wasn't WBA's first team either, but it really bodes well for the squad, which looked quite thin this time 2 weeks ago but now seems full of promise.

I've noticed a funny change in my own attitude to watching it too - normally I'd be happy enough just finding the goals highlights if I didn't see a game, whereas now I'd just as soon want to see examples of how the dynamics of the match played out, where players were moving, and how the team transitioned into attacks.

I agree that Rodgers has already won over the bulk of the fans, which is pretty amazing given the league position. but then again, there's just no bullshit about him. he's doing what he said he would do after we failed to sign Dempsey - no deal for Michael fucking Owen, we'll rely on our own resources, and since then he's been absolutely fearless in throwing on young talent. now there's this growing sense of momentum, with the style bedding in and the supporters deliberately letting him know they are behind him.

it's been such a mad few seasons that I think most supporters recognise that just grinding out ugly wins with an unbalanced team won't get us anywhere. It took Rafa 5 seasons to put together a team that very nearly won the title, a side that was then trashed by player sales and ownership bollocks.

It's good to see Rafa's hard work on the academy starting to pay off. Hodgson and Purslow managed to destroy his first team pretty quickly but hopefully the players now breaking through will be remembered as his legacy.

Good article on finances up to 2010 - interesting to see that it was actually inflated wages and money foolishly wasted on a new stadium, rather than interest payments to RBS, that really crippled the team. In that light, FSG's letter about what happened on deadline day makes a lot more sense.
Also interesting to read the analysis of how increased revenue streams from commercial expansion and TV far exceeds the benefit of increased stadium capacity. If this article is correct, it shatters a few well-known truisms about LFC's problems in recent years...

http://tomkinstimes.com/2012/09/football-and-finance-liverpool-and-the-top-six/

I watched the game, and it was most enjoyable. Once we start actually scoring the goals, it'll look a lot better, but for now, it's great to be able to watch the team play. You can see it getting better game by game, and we're finally seeing some young lads get a chance, and they're not disappointing. Some naivety, sure, but Suso looks excellent, Sterling too, and i think Robinson is good enough to get into the first team with Kelly injured.

Downing was mediocre, which was a real improvement. But the younger lads, Sahin and Henderson included, pinged the ball around the midfield for giggles. It's the older lads, Reina, Skrtl, Gerrard, Enrique, Downing, that seem to be taking their time adjusting, the kids are loving it. I can see why Pachecho, Suso, Sterling couldn't get a game under KK, because they're not huge. Funny that, for all the boot room philosophy, Kenny wanted to play on the break. Rodgers doesn't want the opposition getting the ball at all. We could have lost on penos last night, and it still would have been a decent performance, but to score that winner was great. The highlights down't show the lovely little triangles they were doing just a minute before Suso ran at them either.

Flanno has an ankle injury btw, Out for a month.

i also use footytube for highlights. i'm also signed up to the lfc site membership to watch highlights/pre match interviews etc. only 5 a month. i think its worth it anyway

yeah, great positives all round after last night. a win saturday would make for a very promising looking 7 days of football

(had a 5er on united, reading and pool to win in 90mins at 17/1 last night. niiice. bought myself a few records with the haul)

Sensing the turnaround, I sold Tevez and brought Suarez into my fantasy football team. On a hunch, made him captain. Very happy.

Great performance, the only niggling worry is the leaks at the back. But in true Kevin Keegan style, I can see them scoring more than they concede. Sahin looked very solid in the middle and some of his touches were very sexual. Gerrard played well and Suso showed some decent form too. Wisdom looks like a player too. Very encouraging all round.

yet again, very enjoyable. Although it looks like Sktl and Reina want to get us relegated with their carry on this season.

Not wanting to post this out in the open in case it tips off the federales. Not sure the spoiler tag will do anything to be honest.

but if you click a working rutube link in footytube and then copy the format which the videos are named like say everton vs southampton is ev3-1so so you'd look for no2-5li then search for that series of letters and numbers for each match you want to watch you can usually find match of the day highlights. The russians seem pretty slow to censor that site, should be fine so long as Lineker doesn't rant about Putin

Not wanting to post this out in the open in case it tips off the federales. Not sure the spoiler tag will do anything to be honest.

but if you click a working rutube link in footytube and then copy the format which the videos are named like say everton vs southampton is ev3-1so so you'd look for no2-5li then search for that series of letters and numbers for each match you want to watch you can usually find match of the day highlights. The russians seem pretty slow to censor that site, should be fine so long as Lineker doesn't rant about Putin

That's some nice sleuthing there.

Jesus, contemporise, maaan. Are we still Gerrard bashing? 15 years of loyal service, some of the best goals seen in the premier league, being LFC's best player for about 6 consecutive seasons, single handedly (footedly) winning Rafa his only tin in Liverpool, the only player to score in the league cup final, fa cup final, UEFA cup final and Champions league final, a bag full of caps, a phil collins aficionado, stayed at Liverpool despite the lure of coin and tin, could have played for any team in the world in his pomp and never afraid to criticise his own poor performances in the past. There's no basis for Gerrard bashing, or rather, the only basis is when he fails to reach the standards he set for himself back when he was king. And, let's face it, there's very few players who could have matched them. No, i won't take it, especially from a toffee and ESPECIALLY as Gerrard was fucking excellent on Saturday. He was succinct with the ball, and had the knack of arriving into the box late which resulted in a goal. It looks like he might be settling into this style of play.

Most crucially is that he's Steven Fucking Gerrard. He's a legend. If you ask me, Liverpool never truely recovered from Big Sami leaving, and every club needs strong, experienced characters in the dressing room. Even now, with his legs on the wane, his pace going, and his ability to shoot from the next county diminishing, he's better tha Phil Neville.

Stevie's not what he was, but now his job is making those around him better. Gawwwwwrd. You people.

single handedly (footedly) winning Rafa his only tin in Liverpool, .

Actually you're thinking of Didi Haman there. You know, German lad that did all the donkey work and allowed Gerrard to actually play. That's still the issue for me. Allen and Gerrard still look capable of being out musceled in midfield, Lucas will probably come in and shore things up better and Sahin just fits better into what Rodgers wants to do.

And for all the rest that you have in that post above he looked shite after Mascherano and Alonso left he looked lost without Lucas and like I said Didi. Fucking Didi man.

With pleasure.

To be fair I've really enjoyed what I've seen of Liverpool recently. They pass it really well. Agger finally looks comfortable with the style of play. I've always liked Sahin, Allen is like your Arteta, probably not quite that good but a player you always needed. The youngsters all look good and on his day Suarez can be good craic. Is Martin Skrtl still looking to get out ? Looks that way. When Lucas finally gets up and running Merseyside might start becoming a daunting task for the teams around the top.

Not this seasson for either of us I'd say. Hopefully we get two decent derbies unlike last season (though the cup semi was pretty okay for the neutral I'd say). Getting 12 points against Us and you lot could be the difference between top four and europa league for someone, hopefully Chelski, though by my reckonging I'd say it'll be the two of us battling for 5th and 6th.

so didnt see the udinese game as only woke up to read the score and the reports online. downing actually got an assist...wtf happnened there?!!

due to poxy time difference i never get to watch the games, unless the 1.30pm kick offs in the uk, so can someone suggest a few good sites to watch highlights of both league, cup and euro games.

thanks

so didnt see the udinese game as only woke up to read the score and the reports online. downing actually got an assist...wtf happnened there?!!

due to poxy time difference i never get to watch the games, unless the 1.30pm kick offs in the uk, so can someone suggest a few good sites to watch highlights of both league, cup and euro games.

thanks

Do you read this thread at all?

www.footytube.com

THat was gas fun again. Every single fucking mistake has been punished this season. But....well, i think it's still pretty positive. They got shit in the second have, but they completed 500 more passes and had 20 shots. Individuals.....what can you do. Johnson had one bad touch in the entire game and they scored. Coates was great until he nodded it in. Carra...jesus. He looked wrecked.

THat was gas fun again. Every single fucking mistake has been punished this season. But....well, i think it's still pretty positive. They got shit in the second have, but they completed 500 more passes and had 20 shots. Individuals.....what can you do. Johnson had one bad touch in the entire game and they scored. Coates was great until he nodded it in. Carra...jesus. He looked wrecked.

I think the Udinese came out in the second half having been ordered to get at liverpool high up the pitch, closing down the passes from defence to henderson and allen, and basically try force errors in that area in order to catch the liverpool defence in possession. we conceded early, the pressure went up, the kids didn't handle it very well, and we were rocking until gerrard and suarez came on and offered a lot more movement and assurance in actually running the ball into the space that Udinese's pressing was leaving at the back. when they went 2 goals clear, udinese then retreated back into the counter-attack mode they tried in the first half, and liverpool were unlucky not to equalise or even win.

This is basically the danger in trying to play a passing game. I think we'll see that increasingly from the more athletic premier league teams as they cop on - Swansea were vulnerable to this tactic last season too, eg I remember spurs hammered them at WHL by closing down the Swansea midfielders with two men every time they tried to play the ball forwards.

I thought Downing was alright, he upped his game and their full back should have been sent off for that rugby tackle on him, but he was still a bit sloppy and still can't shoot. robinson, henderson and shelvey (first half) were very impressive. coates good other than his OG - he and carra were badly at fault for the 3rd goal, letting de natale hold onto the ball before picking out the midfield runner.

Suarez looks to be right back on form, which is a massive boost.

Gotta just chalk it up to experience. Most new managers say they want to 'build from the back' before working on the attack, BR seems to be doing the opposite, though not necessarily by design.

I think the Udinese came out in the second half having been ordered to get at liverpool high up the pitch, closing down the passes from defence to henderson and allen, and basically try force errors in that area in order to catch the liverpool defence in possession. we conceded early, the pressure went up, the kids didn't handle it very well, and we were rocking until gerrard and suarez came on and offered a lot more movement and assurance in actually running the ball into the space that Udinese's pressing was leaving at the back. when they went 2 goals clear, udinese then retreated back into the counter-attack mode they tried in the first half, and liverpool were unlucky not to equalise or even win.

This is basically the danger in trying to play a passing game. I think we'll see that increasingly from the more athletic premier league teams as they cop on - Swansea were vulnerable to this tactic last season too, eg I remember spurs hammered them at WHL by closing down the Swansea midfielders with two men every time they tried to play the ball forwards.

I thought Downing was alright, he upped his game and their full back should have been sent off for that rugby tackle on him, but he was still a bit sloppy and still can't shoot. robinson, henderson and shelvey (first half) were very impressive. coates good other than his OG - he and carra were badly at fault for the 3rd goal, letting de natale hold onto the ball before picking out the midfield runner.

Suarez looks to be right back on form, which is a massive boost.

Gotta just chalk it up to experience. Most new managers say they want to 'build from the back' before working on the attack, BR seems to be doing the opposite, though not necessarily by design.
Gerrard and Luis came on at 1 all, didn't they? I thought Stevie took too long to get into it. I don't think he's at an age where he can be effective from the bench, at least not straight away. I think you play him or you don't.

If Borini wasn't Borini, and was, say, Di NAtale, this would all be moot.

yeah but until they came on we couldn't keep the ball at all and weren't getting at their defence

poor borini. his day will come

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back