Music magazines (1 Viewer)

Which music magazines do you buy?

• Total voters
I use to buy hotpress - get it into the office now. Main motivation was to keep up to date with going on but that need is made redundant thanks to rrs feeds.

They are so expensive now so I stopped buying them. So now my choice depends on whatever my other half buys which is usually state/uncut/q/mojo depending on what mood he is in...plus it keeps the element of surprise in the relationship!

Lads, mags aren't that expensive. Everyone's moaning about it. They only become expensive when you buy 5 or 6 at a go as I usually do in my monthly gets..

Used to read (and still have tons of) MOJO Magazine. Read Q and NME before that.

Bought first three issues of the State, and the new Uncut all out of boredom. Didn't like any of them, which is weird, cos usually Uncut still at least gives a good read.

i pick and choose what i buy to read - mojo / uncut / word / wire / shindig / record collector / classic rock / FRoots - depending on content

and then the other half religously buys - metal hammer / terrorizer / metal maniacs / revolver / decibel etc etc etc - which i'd have a look at

Lads, mags aren't that expensive. Everyone's moaning about it. They only become expensive when you buy 5 or 6 at a go as I usually do in my monthly gets..

yeah, i agree...Papers are 1.80 a day or whatever, so for 3/4 newspapers, you can get a mag

Uncut/Mojo used to be regular reads but their constant rotation of Dylan/Pink Floyd/Led Zep/Beatles/Neil Young/Springsteen stories is a little slack
More sporadic now and pick up Under The Radar, Filter, State and Plan B, as well as the aforementioned two, now and then...they all have their pluses and minuses. the search for that elusive perfect magazine continues.

Wire can be tough going but looks amazing. State quickly became pedestrian enough (though the actual size of the magazine is perfect for some reason...it's smaller than all the others) and Plan B is probably the best for a bit of edge and consistency. Mojo, Uncut and the rest....blarrrrghhhh. Uncut's reviews used to be brilliant but the whole nostalgia trip is hard to stomach. The Quietus online is decent enough. But that's online so doesn't count here, I suppose

I gave up on MOJO months ago. Phil Alexander's really fucked it up, it's like a cross between some wanky metal mag like Raw with Dylan instead if Maiden, and Smash Hits with the Beatles instead if the Pet Shop Boys. The covers are a turn off what with their exclamation marks all over the place and constant parade of old farts, the CD's have been shit for years, and the reviews too short. It desperately needs a new editor and not some 'safe in his job' mutt.

The Word is the best of the whole lot of them. Interesting unthemed CD's, brilliantly witty and knowledgable writing, super columnists and just the right mix of music/movies and books.

UNCUT still borderline essential, but they need to shake it up a bit more and perhaps also get a new editor.

Gave up on Hot Press years ago. Again, a different editor might make it better but I doubt it. It's funny, I've been researching a book lately and have been reading a load of old Spotlight magazines, and guess what, Hot Press is exactly the same mag, only with Glen Hansard instead of Dickie Rock. It's a carbon copy, and there was Stokes rebelling against Spotlight all those years ago, when now he's morphed into it!

Hate to say it, but I don't give The State a long shelf-life. Without a CD it lacks an impulse purchase factor and it had yet to develop a personality of its own in the way The Word did almost from the first issue. Whilst Foggy Notions was often a complete and utter snooze-fest it had much more going for it than The State.

NME is a comic that I only flick through in the shop for the live ads (dunno why, I'm not going to be going to any of the shows) whilst I buy Record Collector on the strength of the cover star on occasion, although the last one I bought was when Syd Barrett snuffed it.

So, The Word is an essential must-buy and if there's some money left in my pocket I'll take UNCUT as well and get my IRish music news/features etc from the net.

I've spent far too long Google image searching for the deadly Uncut covers they did in the late 90's

this is the closest I could find, and this one is just okay-ish...

uncut_may_99.jpg

but fellow obsessives will remember that font, which was used on every cover, the stark hi-contrast pix, and the black and red colour scheme. No shitty drop shadows, busy, but clean and neat at the same time

*sigh*

but fellow obsessives will remember that font, which was used on every cover, the stark hi-contrast pix, and the black and red colour scheme. No shitty drop shadows, busy, but clean and neat at the same time

*sigh*

Ugh. Don't think I ever saw an Uncut cover I liked.

*sigh*

Yep. It sure had a classic look. I used to love the little film strip they did at the bottom of the cover in the first couple of issues. The logo was perfect, I don't know why they changed it to the current weedy one, and black and red was a winner.

My impression is that Uncut and Mojo are aimed primarily at people who feel that music stopped being interesting around 1976. Which is fair enough, as there seem to be a lot of people with that feeling, but I'm not one of them, so I'd only very rarely ever look at either of them.

Haven't been too impressed with The State so far, but admittedly I've only occasionally picked it up and flipped through it in the shop, so that's hardly an informed opinion.

The only magazine (of any sort) I read regularly is the Wire, but I always read it cover-to-cover. (Of course, this means I'm perpetually several months behind...) Yeah, it's a bit dear, but myself and Mr. Minka share a subscription, which makes it a bargain. Plus, we get the bonus CDs, which are generally interesting to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back