Music magazines (1 Viewer)

Which music magazines do you buy?

• Total voters
I tend to just buy magazines when I'm in airports, which is every couple of weeks, and the music ones are usually the NME and State. I used to get Hotpress in work, but they've stopped sending it in.

Most of the best music coverage isn't from an exclusively music place; the Observer Review and Music Monthly (although that's got a bit dodgy recently) and the Guardian Guide on Saturdays. I like Totally Dublin's music stuff too.

Q magazine

& Hot Press, & some times Guitar Techniques (the best of all the guitar mags)

Q can be good sometimes, Hot press is on thin ice. Bought Mojo a few times. It's really well written.

I'd like to stop buying them altogether but boredom gets the better of me.

I'm finding them too expensive to buy these days, and they've gone a bit crap - but I used to buy Uncut religiously, and Mojo. When I was in my late teens it was Q and Hotpress.

Most recently it was Plan B, but now I can't find it anywhere outside of Dublin :(
I sometimes read some of the boyf's Wire and Terrorizer but they both go over my head for different reasons :D although I do find the main interviews interesting in The Wire.

These days I do most of my reading online and get the Observer Music Monthly. (Although the OMM give nearly ALL albums 4/5 out of 5 which is ridiculous!!)

Under The Radar!

Some little corner shop in Dun Laoghrie used to sell it, I could never resist it's odd format, badly designed ways.

I've sworn off mags for a bit, recession and all that. But IMHO Mojo is the only british monthly out there worth bothering with. Which is a bit of a shame really.

R.I.P. - Vox, Select, Uncut (when it was good), Smash Hits Melody Maker, Face, Sun Zoom Spark, etc, etc, etc...

mojo is stuck in a boring beatles/stones/dylan timewarp

uncut has gone to shit since they changed their format (and got rid of their book review section)

word is pretty good. it's got an endearing studenty quality about it

i geuss i'd also use online sources for most of my music info these days. the mags are way too expensive.

I sometimes read some of the boyf's Wire and Terrorizer but they both go over my head for different reasons :D although I do find the main interviews interesting in The Wire.

yeah these are the ones i read.
to be honest i find wire tough going as i am not familiar with alot of the bands. its heavy going to read cover to cover each month.
terrorizer is great for the free cd and reviews. while the reviews might not always be accurate it does act as a potential list of albums to acquire. but recently it is not as "underground" as it may lead you to believe and has a letter page to rival the nme and kerrang for hilarity.

mojo is stuck in a boring beatles/stones/dylan timewarp

uncut has gone to shit since they changed their format (and got rid of their book review section)

Totally, I always read the book reviews first. I e-mailed them about that and Allan Jones replied saying that they shelved the reviews, following feedback from their surveys.

I can't stop buying it though, cause I have every issue. I think its about time I copped on.

I like Word a lot. Like comfort food, theres something nice and easy and reliable about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back