Music magazines (1 Viewer)

Which music magazines do you buy?

• Total voters
Ugh. Don't think I ever saw an Uncut cover I liked.

as I said, not a great example

but there was a New Order one around then that were great

I mean it's not genius, but for an IPC mag, it's pretty great

4561cfd3-9b6e-4f0d-94db-dad22c1ec0a9.jpg

what make you of this?

Hate to say it, but I don't give The State a long shelf-life. Without a CD it lacks an impulse purchase factor and it had yet to develop a personality of its own in the way The Word did almost from the first issue. Whilst Foggy Notions was often a complete and utter snooze-fest it had much more going for it than The State.

FYI - CDs coming with State real sooooon.

what make you of this?

It's pretty great, in the way that it's always nice to see a cover that allows the photograph space to breathe without wazzing type all over the gaff, and it gives off a bit of rare spontaneity (that, let's face it, in reality was probably stage-managed to fuck).

It'll look incredible on the stands, but it is still a celebrity head shot.

It'll look incredible on the stands, but it is still a celebrity head shot.

yeah I think it looks amazing on the stands

I'm really surprised by it's impact, it's a pretty simple idea, but it just goes to show how insane the newsstands have got with headlines and mashing stuff onto covers and all that

and good stuff for Rolling Stones putting Bill Cosby back in the public eye!

Not available over here, but Arthur is great and has got a rake of back issues to download as pdfs:

http://www.arthurmag.com

Been getting Plan B and the Wire mostly recently, haven't bought Uncut or the rest for many's a year

Bring back Melody Maker!

I can't remember the last time I bought a music magazine or a music-oriented zine (sorry edser). I don't really buy magazines at all any more except if I'm in an airport and then it's usually Focus or New Scientist or something.

Used to read Heartattack, Fracture and Unfit For Consumption religiously but they've all stopped running now :(

If I was going to buy anything music-related it'd probably be Terrorizer, it just never crosses my mind to buy magazines really.

Classic Rock and Mojo are the only ones I buy (if the content is any good). I subscribe to Maximum Rock And Roll and Razorcake.
All this talk of old magazines or when they used to be good and no one has mentioned sounds.
Eason's carry Shindig,bought one issue,thought it was interesting but it cover's a genre I'm not so obsessive about. I'd imagine i'll buy it on occasion.

Uncut was good for a long time but the Americana obsession killed it.

I have stacks of back issues under the radiator in my room. Daughter crawls in and repeatedly pulls them out and messes up the chronology.

Its CDs stopped being good a long time ago. Plus their trick of "two different CDs so buy the magazine twice" was lame.

Mojo not bad but getting pedestrian. Better CDs.

Word - tries hard.

Hot Press - stopped being good in the 1980s.

NME - haven't bought it since March 2000 aside from one relapse when Peel died. Was on its last legs for ages.

Uproar magazine was the worst ever. Irish dance scene.
Badly written toss.

I like Record Collector because
a) good reviews
b) good future releases section
c) vinyl leanings
d) the Collector section. maybe one day...

Have you heard the twelves remix of I'm not going to teach your boyfriend........they call it boyfriend remix. It's seriously funky. So much better than the original

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=141507319
I haven't heard the album yet (in fact i've only heard the single and I like it), so I don't have an opinion on them really, I was just mocking Pitchfork ;)

I bought the NME a few times recently as the Boosh were in it (yeah yeah yeah...) and it was bizarre - loads of throw away stuff, crappy 'news' articles and then some good interviews with the likes of Les Savy Fav...it's sad that some of the journos know their stuff, but appear to be prevented from writing about anything other than the occasional article on a band that isn't the arctic monkeys/glasvegas/etc
the letters page is classic though. Some young one wrote into one of the issues about the Manics, saying 'thanks for the Manics interview - I'm a huge fan but never realised Richey Edwards was in the band and that he went missing' :eek:

I bought the NME a few times recently...the letters page is classic though. Some young one wrote into one of the issues about the Manics, saying 'thanks for the Manics interview - I'm a huge fan but never realised Richey Edwards was in the band and that he went missing' :eek:
funny, the first melody maker i ever bought was the one with Richey Manic on the cover after he disappeared.

well, maybe 'funny' isn't the right word

Jeffrey Lee Pierce died the same week, it was like Lennon vs Crash all over again. or something

any of you magazine-y/designer-y type people read a photo editor? obviously mostly focused on photo editing stuff, but loads of insights into how magazines work, why they choose the features and photos that they do, and why they're getting crap (short answer: blogs). it's a good read on occasion.

i don't buy any mags any more, but i used to read the wire and plan b pretty regularly. apart from that, my rss reader is my newsstand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back