Music magazines (1 Viewer)

Which music magazines do you buy?

• Total voters
By the way, do zines count for this? If they do then I always pick up Devil On 45 (when's the next issue out Ed??), HeartattCk (well, when it was running anyway) & Maximum Rock n Roll from time to time.

There needs to be a film version of this thread. I need more than Sight & Sound to keep me going.

I'm hoping to have another two issues out before the end of the year, and hopefully the next issue will be out by early september. Loadsa good stuff gonna be in the next one, large article about the Black Metal Ban in Malaysia, Interview with Eddy Moretti of 'Heavy Metal In Baghdad'/'Vice Magazine' fame (gettin this interview was one struggle, had to wait til hot press and irish times journalists talked to him about metal music as if they had a fucking clue what they were on about), A great article I just got on the recording legend that is Joe Meek. An interview with 'In Plain Site' a Christian organisation that despises pretty much all music as un-Chrstian (they fuckin despise Christian rock) , very pro censorship and very heavy handed. Also gonna have a large piece on the Master Musicians of Joujouka who I'm heading to see next week. Alongside loadsa deadly art, more cd's of uncopyrighted music (found some amazing stuff for this one) and all the other submissions I'm gettin.

Anyway anyone complaining about prices of music magazines it should be noted that the last issue of 'The Devil On 45' was 48 A4 pages, without one single fuckin advertisement and with two free cds and it was 3.50euro, yeah it's copied but maybe in the future it'll be printed.

I agree with whoever said about how hot press has turned into everything it started up as a reaction against, such as spotlight magazine.

Also gonna have a large piece on the Master Musicians of Joujouka who I'm heading to see next week.

Wow ... are you going to that thing in Morocco? Was just reading about it the other day ...

Wow ... are you going to that thing in Morocco? Was just reading about it the other day ...

yup :) flying to malaga on sunday and working my way down to Morocco over the next day or two, flights to morocco were crazy prices at such short notice. But yeah the festival looks amazing, think only about 30 people are goin (don't know any of them but apparently a couple of them know me and knew I was goin which was odd), gonna be fuckin roasting though! The festival has now been extended for two evenings/nights Have loved the music of the musicians for a few years now and when this opportunity came up I had to jump at it.

I get Wire every month, it's a dense read and I was buying it for around a year before I started understanding the references and getting through more than 50% of an issue.

Really want to check out Rock a Rolla and to a lesser extent Plan-B. Is there anywhere to get them in Dublin. Would rather not jump straight into a subscription

, yeah it's copied but maybe in the future it'll be printed.

why go down that road?

I agree with whoever said about how hot press has turned into everything it started up as a reaction against, such as spotlight magazine
there was a piece on Reeling in the Years on him when Hotpress was starting(78?), quite the angry young man :p

why go down that road?

I'd just love to be able to do it as I'm wokring more and more with artists and trying better and better layouts which I think would look sweeter if printed, but that would increase costs and increase the price of the magazine something stupid so alas it's a pipe dream.

And now with the lovely people at read's out in sandyford there isn't as much point, can just send them the zine by pdf and then they copy, collate, fold and staple it all with a huge photocopier (that one photocopier that does it all actually makes me gick myself:p)!

yup :) flying to malaga on sunday and working my way down to Morocco over the next day or two, flights to morocco were crazy prices at such short notice. But yeah the festival looks amazing, think only about 30 people are goin (don't know any of them but apparently a couple of them know me and knew I was goin which was odd), gonna be fuckin roasting though! The festival has now been extended for two evenings/nights Have loved the music of the musicians for a few years now and when this opportunity came up I had to jump at it.

Man, I am unbelievably jealous. I read an article the other day about this Irish guy called Frank Rynne who has been involved with them for a long time. The name is really familiar ... I think he used to be in some Dub band back in the eighties. Anyone know?

Anyway, have a great time, dude .... and be sure and start a thread when you come back and tell us all about it. I'm really interested in hearing about what it's like. Have idly thought for years about trying to go to that sacred music festival in Fez ....

Man, I am unbelievably jealous. I read an article the other day about this Irish guy called Frank Rynne who has been involved with them for a long time. The name is really familiar ... I think he used to be in some Dub band back in the eighties. Anyone know?

Anyway, have a great time, dude .... and be sure and start a thread when you come back and tell us all about it. I'm really interested in hearing about what it's like. Have idly thought for years about trying to go to that sacred music festival in Fez ....

I will post about it indeed but sure it's a reason to go out and buy the next issue of 'The Devil On 45' zine innit?!

Yeah Frank is organising it, the bands he was in during the eighties was the baby snakes and the handsome devils, both of which have myspace accounts oddly enough.

i know frank a bit. he curated a couple of comps of (i think) berber/gnawa/sufi stuff for sub rosa. from forcedex:

SR243CD.JPEG
Artist: MASTER MUSICIANS OF JOUJOUKA, THE Title: Boujeloud Label: SUB ROSA (BELGIUM) Format: CD Price: $13.00 Catalog #: SR 243CD The Master Musicians of Joujouka are often credited with being the first "world music" group. The Joujouka music for Boujeloud, or the Father of Skins, is frantic and has several movements which would equate to a symphony or the score of an opera if it were European classical music. The festival and ritual originate in the worship of the God Pan. In 1994, Frank Rynne began a two year long project recording the Master Musicians of Joujouka in their village. Sub Rosa released two CDs from these recordings, Joujouka Black Eyes and Sufi to critical acclaim in 1995 and 1996, respectively. This is the third and final CD from these intimate recordings to be released by Sub Rosa. Boujeloud contains several different renditions of the ritual music Boujeloud. Each version has a widely different character which is determined by the combination of musicians and the spontaneous improvisation of the lead players. Tracks 1, 2, 6, and 8 are flute versions from various combinations of the Masters, while track 3 features the intense sound of the massed rhaitas playing the ritual. There are also songs which are used in lead up to the ritual, and songs that the musicians use to drive Boujeloud/Pan out of the village. The musicians recorded on this CD span four generation of Joujouka masters. Master musician Mujehid Mujdoubi was 83 years old when he recorded his music for this CD: though he had lost the ability to play the double-reed rhaita, Mujehid's lira playing fully demonstrates the musical dexterity which seventy years of playing honed to perfection. The core group who still live and play in the village are widely represented on this CD. The different versions of "Boujeloud" and the related songs allow the listener to experience the melodies and the improvisational nature of Joujouka music played live in its natural setting. These recordings are an intimate and unique experience.

he also promoted william burroughs and others (gysin? ginsberg?) in the project, maybe late 80s.

ran (runs?) a book stall on temple bar square on saturdays.

nice chap.

Really want to check out Rock a Rolla and to a lesser extent Plan-B. Is there anywhere to get them in Dublin. Would rather not jump straight into a subscription

HMV on Henry Street seems to have Plan B every month now. I could never find it in the same place every month before i subscribed.

It still is pretty much, it's called Give Me Back now. The people who did Heartattack called it a day, on of their mates decided to keep it going as Give Me Back, same format etc.

Really? Deadly, only just looked it up there. Anyone here or in the UK have copies of it?

Esopus has online issues, but they were quite difficult to read when I tried... it was like a flash player and you had to zoom in on the bit of the page you wanted... not the best system, but you could listen to their themed free CDs also. Pretty fantastic.

Never seen it for sale in Ireland however.

Esopus has online issues, but they were quite difficult to read when I tried... it was like a flash player and you had to zoom in on the bit of the page you wanted... not the best system, but you could listen to their themed free CDs also. Pretty fantastic.

Never seen it for sale in Ireland however.

It's usually in Borders. Great mag, but more art than music I'd have said.

I tend to read a lot of the US music mags, I just find them more appealing than their UK counterparts.

Spin is a decent read and pretty good with the music taste.

Blender is a really random mag, bit poppy and all over the show with their music angle, but it's quite a funny read and pretty entertaining.

Good to see Under The Radar getting a mention. The design is ugly, but it had a fair stack of content in there.

There is another US mag I used to pick up from Tower when I was down, it was called Rockpile and I really liked it. Then it just stopped being there. I did cry a wee bit. Oh, and used to find Wonkavision in there too. Death And Taxes is another good US mag, but you can't find that in Ireland.

Man, I am a total magazine nerd.

... david keenan ... nicely and politely put in his place by nihilist spasm band this issue
what did they say? i used to subscribe to the wire but stopped about a year and a half or so ago ... maybe it just went through a down period but i thought it got pretty dull for about a year or so before i packed in my subscription. plus their sun city girls tirade and the pathetic deal they made of the oblivia smegma cover turned me off a lot

... An interview with 'In Plain Site' a Christian organisation that despises pretty much all music as un-Chrstian (they fuckin despise Christian rock) , very pro censorship and very heavy handed.
have you heard this? ...
americandoomsday.jpg

A document of the spellbinding chants, call-and-response decrees, hypnotic invocations and prayers performed against the demon rocknroll by the ultra-conservative New Age Church Universal and Triumphant, led by charismatic, gun-hoarding nutjob ELIZABETH CLARE PROPHET--who is believed by her followers to be divinely inspired by a host of Ascended Masters, including Merlin the Magician, Hercules, William Shakespeare, Jesus Christ, Gautama Buddha, the Archangel Michael, and other emo legends
sounds like you'd be into it ... it's amazing. devil on 45 is easily the best music-related (maga)zine i've read in the past year or so. next one looks great. i was wondering when joe meek would appear alright!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back