Morocco (1 Viewer)

Space

is deep
Supporter
Solutions
Anyone here been to morocco?

Possibly heading out there for a week or two in September, fez, hash and surf.|..|

What's the plural for fez, fezii?

Mate of mine lived there for a year when he was a little younger.

"chilled out" is how he described it.

hope that helps

avoid agadir like the plague. Marakesh (sp? jaysus) is great dont go nay organised tours there just get lost in the markets and have a ball.WE went into the desert and guts just came ot of nowhere with scorpions and chameleons trying to sell them to us. Its that kind of place.Beware the hash trap. People sell you dope, their bro arrives in a cop uniform and busts you at your hotel and you have to pay a funny big bribe to get out of jail. True story from the hotel I sayed in last time.Food id great ( eat tagine when you get the chance) aslo go up into the atlas mountains as the berber people are very friendly ...my two cents.

I would second Lizzie's warning about the hash thing. You really wanna be careful about that ..... It's probably unlikely you'll end up in jail Midnight Express style but very likely you'll get ripped off.

Anyway Marrakesh is great. Going down to the Djemma Al Fna at night is just fantastic. Drumming, fire, barbecues, boxing!, people selling the weirdest shit ever.

Where you gonna go surfing? We spent a few days in a town called Essaorira on the coast. Dunno how it is for surfing but its very very windy. And really nice. Completely hassle free.

It can be hard to find places to drink ....

Didn't go to Fez but would really like to. That festival of sacred music they do sounds great.

Not really sure about where we're gonna go surfing yet, but the main point of the trip is surf (well kayak surfing to be precise). So we'll probably move about a bit. The Atlas mountains are definately on the agenda seeing as we're mostly outdoorsy types. Cheers for tips guys.

My girlfriend was there last year. She said Fez is excellent - very non-touristy. Also the Atlas mountains and the Berbers - they put people up in their homes!
I'd love to go. Moroccan food is excellent - tagine is one of the nicest things going.

I was here for a week:
http://lexicorient.com/morocco/chefchaouen.htm

No alcohol, lots of hash and tea and food - quite liked it.
Went to Tangiers from Tarifa in spain and straight to Chefchaouen in the Rif Mountains.Chilled is the word alright.Like going back in time in that town....extra bizarre when stoned on the local Kif.

liked Tangier also - the Old Town (where the tourists go to see the sites) was a BIG pain in the ass, as we had 'guides' at every turn, persistant as hell.Best thing to do is to SMILE and say no thanks!If you give em a grimace and loudly say no thanks/get lost...they`ll haunt you all the way up the street calling you a racist...!

Tangier New town is cool, chaotic and interesting bars.Visit the hotel where Burroughs wrote the Naked Lunch!!Not much there though, just a picture on the wall of the bar.And no hassles around this part of town.Be wary though when dark abounds!Especially down near the beach.

I was in Tangiers too and you do, as Rimbaud said, get shit loads of grief from dudes trying to drag you this way and that. It's gives you a real bad initial impression, especially if you've just gotten off a boat from spain not having a clue where you're heading.. Best thing to do, is to smile and try and give off the impression that you know exactly where you're going.

got harangued by into going with a dodgy guide who brought us around the Medina - the old part - but it was worth it in the end, even if he did bring us to his mates restaurant who way overcharged us for some grub.

The new town is just like any bustling large city, and has a nice vibe, but a bit seedy at night. and shite all to do except sit outside cafes drinking tea. which is nice in itself

Also be wary of official types who will just ask you for your passport at travel checkpoints, and once you hand it over they'll as for a small renumeration just to hand it back. cunts, but they're probably sick of moon faced gits like us wandering about the place looking stupid.

planning on heading to tangiers for a few days. anywhere good to stay (cheap) or good day excursions from the city? any other top tips?

going to be in the south of spain for two weeks so we figured we'd pop across on the ferry for a couple of days.

avoid agadir like the plague. Marakesh (sp? jaysus) is great dont go nay organised tours there just get lost in the markets and have a ball.WE went into the desert and guts just came ot of nowhere with scorpions and chameleons trying to sell them to us. Its that kind of place.Beware the hash trap. People sell you dope, their bro arrives in a cop uniform and busts you at your hotel and you have to pay a funny big bribe to get out of jail. True story from the hotel I sayed in last time.Food id great ( eat tagine when you get the chance) aslo go up into the atlas mountains as the berber people are very friendly ...my two cents.

whats up with agadir?
thinking of heading there

Das Nugs asked me to post this since he's banned.

"fez is awesome. don't eat anything dairy related. visit the mountains, the berber's cave homes, the barbery apes. we had street food which i think might have been pigeon and it was lovely, but we had a place recommended to us. be careful about that. we stayed in the medina which was at times exciting, scary, sad. you can rent accomodation there and you're probably not likely to get inside any of the dars any other way. on the (very narrow) streets it's just high walls and donkeys and markets. we paid for a cooking lesson too which was cool. a guy brought us around the markets buying ingredients, ordered us around the kitchen for a couple of hours and then served us an amazing meal. one of the staff in the kitchen said "bad deal for you. you pay, you cook". he had a point."

I was in Morocco a year ago. We flew into Agadir, then got the taxi ride from hell over the mountains to Essaouira. Essaouira (dinky Moroccan fishing village) is great - perfect place for a chilled out holiday. We paid a visit to Marrakech, but I didn't like it much. It looks nice, but I got a bit tired of being in a city where everyone seemed to be trying to bilk money out of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back