Estonia (1 Viewer)

Deadmanposting

Supporter
Really want to visit here in 2024
I know Scutter has experience

Looking for resources on what to do there - but particularly on these choral singing festivals/competitions
And the best time to visit

Thanks

@rettucs

it was a national holiday in Latvia this monday past for the finals of these singing competitions. I've never been, but I have been in the venues they hold them in.

Not sure if Estonia keeps the same schedule, but it is very much a summer thing - june/july - in Latvia

I've been a few times but only really once for any decent length of time. That was a road trip in a camper van. Our schedule was;

- 2 nights in saaremae
- 1 night in Hapsaluu
- 1 night in Talinn
- 1 night in some (nice) bolthole halfway between Talinn and Narva
- day trip to Narva - vacated it as fast as we could cos its a shithole, but also a must-see
- 1 night by Lake Paipus
- day trip to Tartu

We're heading back there in August where we'll do a couple of nights between Parnu and Talinn before getting the ferry to Finland and will spend a few days there.

Of the above, I can recommend it all. And I'd suggest not limiting yourself to just a few days in Talinn. Its good for a day or 2, but that'll do you. Get out of the city and into the country.

Narva is on the border with Russia. Its a very Russian influenced city, hence being a shithole. But going down to the river to look at the whites of Putin's eyes on the other side, is a must-do. Fascinating to see. But then get out of there quickly.

Lake paipus is part Russia, part Estonia. The russian part is far bigger, but its massive and feels more like you are at the seaside. Beautiful place, but not much to do there other than lake stuff (watersports, fishing, etc).

Tartu is a university town. Beautiful place but fairly compact in size. A few hours there will do you. The day I was there, there as a music festival on and it was scorchio, so it was good times. A visit to the toy museum is recommended if you fancy having a few weeks of nightmares afterwards.

Saareme is an island and you need to get the ferry over (15 mins or so). Its lovely, but there are a few bogey towns there that you're better off passing through at speed. Going to the most southerly point and looking across the bay to Kolka in Latvia, is a lovely experience.

it was a national holiday in Latvia this monday past for the finals of these singing competitions. I've never been, but I have been in the venues they hold them in.

Not sure if Estonia keeps the same schedule, but it is very much a summer thing - june/july - in Latvia

I've been a few times but only really once for any decent length of time. That was a road trip in a camper van. Our schedule was;

- 2 nights in saaremae
- 1 night in Hapsaluu
- 1 night in Talinn
- 1 night in some (nice) bolthole halfway between Talinn and Narva
- day trip to Narva - vacated it as fast as we could cos its a shithole, but also a must-see
- 1 night by Lake Paipus
- day trip to Tartu

We're heading back there in August where we'll do a couple of nights between Parnu and Talinn before getting the ferry to Finland and will spend a few days there.

Of the above, I can recommend it all. And I'd suggest not limiting yourself to just a few days in Talinn. Its good for a day or 2, but that'll do you. Get out of the city and into the country.

Narva is on the border with Russia. Its a very Russian influenced city, hence being a shithole. But going down to the river to look at the whites of Putin's eyes on the other side, is a must-do. Fascinating to see. But then get out of there quickly.

Lake paipus is part Russia, part Estonia. The russian part is far bigger, but its massive and feels more like you are at the seaside. Beautiful place, but not much to do there other than lake stuff (watersports, fishing, etc).

Tartu is a university town. Beautiful place but fairly compact in size. A few hours there will do you. The day I was there, there as a music festival on and it was scorchio, so it was good times. A visit to the toy museum is recommended if you fancy having a few weeks of nightmares afterwards.

Saareme is an island and you need to get the ferry over (15 mins or so). Its lovely, but there are a few bogey towns there that you're better off passing through at speed. Going to the most southerly point and looking across the bay to Kolka in Latvia, is a lovely experience.
Really appreciate this
And apols, I thought your lady was Estonian. Realising that it's Latvian now.
Both countries bonkers for the singing, it seems. Awesome.

Realising we're gonna have to make this trip Latvia - Estonia - Finland

Really appreciate this
And apols, I thought your lady was Estonian. Realising that it's Latvian now.
Both countries bonkers for the singing, it seems. Awesome.

Realising we're gonna have to make this trip Latvia - Estonia - Finland
I reckon so. Or leave Finland for another time and do Lithuania. Another amazing country with lots to do and see.

Will let you know how I get on in Finland. It was never high up on my must-visit list, but its handy from Talinn so fuck it, why not

Doco on women in Estonian saunas - Smoke Sauna Sisterhood

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Still planning on the Song Fest in 2025 - if we live that long

If anyone has any info or experience whatsoever about Baltic sauna culture, I'd love to read about it

nudity isn't optional (i'm guessing)
I dunno
I've seen it both ways

I think it's easier for women to have a desexualised environment around nudity, maybe?

But with these things, it's always best to do what teh locals do

That doco is playing in the UK afaik

nudity isn't optional (i'm guessing)
it is. In the public saunas they have different time slots depending on your preference.

women only - nudity optional
men only - nudity optional
mixed - non-nude
mixed - nude

you pick your slot based on what you are personally comfortable with.

In Finland I'd say nudity isn't optional. I didn't get a chance to visit a sauna there during the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back