Minor Pleasures (11 Viewers)

the generalised goal though is to not pay tax if the money can be diverted internally (see team building weekender industry for further reading) but be seen to be doing a load of good stuff so that nobody really gives a shit?
The generalised goal is to grow the company and become the industry leader. He says he's willing to pay to make that happen, I take him at his word.
Part of doing that is to keep who we have, and also attract the best people we can here.
That's done with attractive compensation packages, Flex Time and a bunch of other things - including all this gym/choco/events/doggos razzmatazz.
The owner wants us listed in Best Places To Work lists, so he can attract more talent. The thing about those lists, is you have to be a good place to work. So he has HR do all of this stuff. And on the backend, millennials or whatever kind of expect it.

I don't drink the KoolAid that much in here, but I am happy to spend my last working years here. There are far worse places, and I've worked in some of them.
I made a deal with them 10+ years ago that I would come in and work when I said I would, and every week they would put a cheque in my account. They haven't missed a week yet.

'Free' means a lot of things. You pay for drinks, but there's free peanuts on a flight. When I used to fly Aer Lingus, the drinks were all 'free', but you know. The peanuts aren't free, but they say ' no charge' and people often use that as a synonym for 'free'
Free sports drinks at a road race. But you're paying for it with your attention to a brand.
Buy one get one free at the supermarket. You're paying for the first one.
Is running in Fairview Park free? My sis says "best part of running in the park is it's free" - but I should pull her up on that and tell her about taxation and local services.
Is Facebook free? (I know the answer)
Are MABS services free?
Basically everything has a cost. Every choice you make is forgoing something else.

We use the word 'free' freely (ahem) but we know that it's often more complicated than that. But we still use it cos it's shorthand for "I don't dig into my wallet" or whatever else.
This was the same before trump also.

You can actually just say we bought them.
I'm not saying that to people.

I make dick jokes at work. This type of actually-ism doesn't fit with my métier, as it were.

Last edited:
The generalised goal is to grow the company and become the industry leader. He says he's willing to pay to make that happen, I take him at his word.
Part of doing that is to keep who we have, and also attract the best people we can here.
That's done with attractive compensation packages, Flex Time and a bunch of other things - including all this gym/choco/events/doggos razzmatazz.
The owner wants us listed in Best Places To Work lists, so he can attract more talent. The thing about those lists, is you have to be a good place to work. So he has HR do all of this stuff. And on the backend, millennials or whatever kind of expect it.

I don't drink the KoolAid that much in here, but I am happy to spend my last working years here. There are far worse places, and I've worked in some of them.
I made a deal with them 10+ years ago that I would come in and work when I said I would, and every week they would put a cheque in my account. They haven't missed a week yet.

'Free' means a lot of things. You pay for drinks, but there's free peanuts on a flight. When I used to fly Aer Lingus, the drinks were all 'free', but you know. The peanuts aren't free, but they say ' no charge' and people often use that as a synonym for 'free'
Free sports drinks at a road race. But you're paying for it with your attention to a brand.
Buy one get one free at the supermarket. You're paying for the first one.
Is running in Fairview Park free? My sis says "best part of running in the park is it's free" - but I should pull her up on that and tell her about taxation and local services.
Is Facebook free? (I know the answer)
Are MABS services free?
Basically everything has a cost. Every choice you make is forgoing something else.

We use the word 'free' freely (ahem) but we know that it's often more complicated than that. But we still use it cos it's shorthand for "I don't dig into my wallet" or whatever else.
This was the same before trump also.

Lookit i'm not critizing your workplace pacifically -it's just a workable example on hand to deconstruct the work 'freebies' culture, i'm not gonna tell your boss to shrink the company to save you time on thumped.

In a lot of your examples you have autonomy over how the money is spent, the flights, the road race entry, the shopping etc - you choose wether the transaction takes place or not in the first place. In that context, your bounty bar is paid for in whatever knockown wholesale price they get it for + the person who is paid to buy bounty bars wages, and again when you don't get to pick something else to do with the cash. You pay for those freebies twice in that sense.

"Free" is a misnomer alright.

But I have a friend in footy/events world who has a detailed rant about the gains of feeding staff. Marginal cost for an obvious increase in productivity, basically. Also, treating people decently, but that's a side thought.

In my works, I rarely get fed, other people do, even though me and my guys are the ones burning the calories, it's infuriating.

Last season we got a proper dinner before every game. Then this season they said "no more". Apparently the catering company were charging the club £55/head for dinner, as in sausage and mash, lasagne or similar. The journo's and photographers still get free food, and it is free to them, because they're mercenaries.

Dunno, it's baffling and short sighted not to feed your staff. AND YOUR CONTRACTORS. While I have a separate rant about the American way of giving you food and phone and laptop and then thinking they "own" your every waking moment.

But that's enough for now. You must remember I'm typing with one hand here (No cormcolash, not like that).
Does the bubble machine operator get a free dinner?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Lookit i'm not critizing your workplace pacifically -it's just a workable example on hand to deconstruct the work 'freebies' culture, i'm not gonna tell your boss to shrink the company to save you time on thumped.

In a lot of your examples you have autonomy over how the money is spent, the flights, the road race entry, the shopping etc - you choose wether the transaction takes place or not in the first place. In that context, your bounty bar is paid for in whatever knockown wholesale price they get it for + the person who is paid to buy bounty bars wages, and again when you don't get to pick something else to do with the cash. You pay for those freebies twice in that sense.

the opportunity cost of free bounty bars

Users who are viewing this thread

• G
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back