Minor Musical Observations (1 Viewer)

IIRC blindboy talked about this in one of his podcasts - it has its roots in africa and was brought to america by the slave trade.
to suggest her comment means 'it has a race' is looking for an argument that's not there IMHO.

Many years ago in a museum there was a list of African musical instruments. Banjo was on the list.
Two things I thought; one, that surely all instruments are ultimately from Africa. And two, when I think of a banjo I think of C&W, folk, white people music so to speak.

The fact that the banjo was adopted by white folk is not widely known I think.

i'll tell you the truth - i haven't the slightest clue what her comment is saying, beyond the bare information contained in those dozen words, because it was presented here devoid of context.
the only 'context' i have is that you seem to think it's possibly problematic. like Unicron suggested, if someone said 'rock and roll started out as a black musical genre' no one would bat an eyelid.

spitballing here, if i was a black person living in the states, commenting on what was a 'black' instrument being appropriated by a quite a 'white' art form, would be totally reasonable i think.

It probably matters a whole lot more in the USA. Her erstwhile bandmate from The Carolina Chocolate Drops, Dom Flemons has done a lot of work to educate about Black Cowboys. I'm guessing it's reclaiming the part black people have played in shaping American society that most people are unaware of. Black Cowboys | Smithsonian Folkways Recordings

It's useful to consciously acknowledge different races' contributions to culture when you live in a society that unconsciously associates culture with dead white men.

tenuously connected

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Interesting

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

spock-fascinating.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back