Minor Pleasures (14 Viewers)

Oh I know that one.
"Yani, The Psycho."

Pycho psycho. Yani, oh yani, where are the bodies Yani? Psycho psycho. What did you do with them Yani? Oh Yani Yani.

We have a free treat wall in work
Packets of peanuts, chocos, jellies and so on.
Like months ago, I told the Facilities lady (who stocks the treat wall) to let me know when the Bountys were going away.

They must be going away, because I came back after lunch to a massive bag of Bountys (fun-size) on my desk.

Only downer is that my sciatica has me running a lot less and I am 3kg over where I should be – so I am on a chocolate fatwa right now ☹
No Bountys for me.

A friend of mine (well, a guy I know socially) just won a Pulitzer prize. His second one. He's a journo.
Super happy for him. Had some wobbles early on when I first met him; if they gave out Pulitzers for boozing; we'd both have a wall full of them.

Dunno if getting married rightened him up or just getting older, but he's doing great and I couldn't be happier for the guy.
Super bloke.

Resisting the urge to question myself and ask "Well, what the fuck are you doing with yourself, dopey???" and just be happy for him.

just spent most of this evening making a tiny quarter pipe skate ramp out of a bran flakes box, a piece of corrugated cardboard, superglue, and DOUBLE SIDED STICKY TAPE.

Blue-Peter-badge.jpg

Nothing is. They have a very high cost - they make you fat :-(

It's more (as per fucking usual) the use of language driving me up the wall.

i.e.

'I got some stuff free at work'

when the actual event that takes place is

'someone in my company is paid to take money that could be my wages or security and spend it on stuff i didn't ask for and my only option in the transaction to accept the stuff, or watch it be thrown away, it is 2023'

How about I take money out of the thumped sub before it goes to #admin for all his time and effort and spend it on bacon without asking if ye's want it or not? It's free!! yayy!! Don't worry i'll fuck in it the bin if it's not part of your diet. Nobody is oblidged to take the free bacon.

Morning everyone.

It's more (as per fucking usual) the use of language driving me up the wall.

i.e.

'I got some stuff free at work'

when the actual event that takes place is

'someone in my company is paid to take money that could be my wages or security and spend it on stuff i didn't ask for and my only option in the transaction to accept the stuff, or watch it be thrown away, it is 2023'

How about I take money out of the thumped sub before it goes to #admin for all his time and effort and spend it on bacon without asking if ye's want it or not? It's free!! yayy!! Don't worry i'll fuck in it the bin if it's not part of your diet. Nobody is oblidged to take the free bacon.

Morning everyone.
Morning, Ann

Where's the line though?
They give us free coffee too. I should pay for coffee at work?
Free parking on site in the middle of a city. I should use a meter?
Charging stations for EVs if you got one.
They built a basketball court when people asked for it. Brought in fitness coaches at lunch time when people asked for that.
And stuff that doesn't cost them anything, like doggo days and other stuff. They bring the kids in and have them play with robots. They have mental health counselors too, if you got shit going on.
They put on a party for the Mexican national holiday (cos we have a few mexicans here) and catered food for it. Some lad wanted to do a beer tasting, so they catered that too.
They'll comp your entry into local 5k races.
Suggest something and they will do it, if it's feasible.
They brought in Flex Time - which they really didn't want to do. But people demanded it. So they did it.

Like i get your point, but there's things you can do for your employees other than put money in their account.
You want to work in a nice facility and feel like your needs will be accommodated. And that it isn't all drudgery, there's some fun involved. I know what else is out there, recruiters call all the time. I'm not leaving here.

I've worked in places where you brought in your own tea bags and milk. Where they checked your expenses, line by line. And they sucked balls. Everyone walked around bitching about everything and complaining about each other. It was antagonistic and unhappy.

Here I work somewhere that's fun and I get to be compensated above industry standard.
If the owner wants to spend a few grand a year on chocos, then go for it. A few Bountys go a long way.

Last edited:
Morning, Ann

Where's the line though?

A: Those things are not free, none of them are. They have to be budgeted, staffed and carried out and all the money from that is somewhere along the line between the product/service you make as a whole and your wages. My main issue is that you are calling things that cost money free. It's not really a complex line.

But to look at all nice things you mention so you can have a sense of community in the workplace that you listed, for staff right? You work in adult disneyland,a fuck wider society it's great in here sorta place? Lets not let that money end up in general taxation. Parties for mexicans!! (but only the ones with jobs! (only our jobs mind)) Services for kids (if their parents have jobs, here). Free gyms that definitley were just lying about someplace and nobody has to pay for!!! (but no gym for anyone who lives in the same area as you work!!

You get it, right? My complaint is about the use of the word 'free'.

Your expansions are about two tier society.

TL/DR

Anyway other stuff happens in company accounts in between the “takes money from customer” and “pays employee wages” bits. Profits. Dividends. Taxes. Tax write offs/write downs. Training. “Investing in people”. Not everything a company pays for comes out of the employee’s end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back