Minor complaints thread (31 Viewers)

Wasn't sure where to post this and I know I need to be careful as fuck with my words but

I am working with someone in Israel who I'm kind of depending on to do some shit so I can do my job. I was asking them questions this morning and basically just got rebuked because 'they are dealing with a war situation'.

Now what happened at the weekend was horrible. And what that state is doing to people of a different persuasion, is also horrible. Its all fucking horrible.

But I'm kind of taken aback by that message. Meanwhile I have a meeting with a lad in Kiev shortly to discuss stuff, as I do on a regular basis.

"Right, take a while, I'm going to talk to Andrij in Ukraine now and I'll be back to you later."

I think the job I liked best was painting

You could go all day, you were moving, earbuds in
And it was methodical, there was a zen to it.
Also, usually the last bit of work done in a place - you were after every other trade and you were putting the cherry on it.

I miss it.
Just wonder if this old body could still do it.

My favourite job was a 4 day stint I did at the K-Club during a European Open driving a caddy cart around the course with a roving TV camera crew that'd move between playing groups to get shots. Had great fun zipping around the place
Aw man
I got a job at the Irish Open out in Royal Dublin in 1985
I was sat out on the 10th green with a radio and I had to ask the players their score as they came off the green and radio it back to the scoreboard. No job for a child.
Met every single player from Ballesteros to Faldo to Trevino to Langer and so on. This is when the Irish Open was a big deal. My Dad - a golfer - was proud as punch. I was paid 20 quid a day, and had to give my Ma half (gutted).

At one point they stopped play, and I had to charge the 11th tee to stop teh players hitting off.
SOme English player's caddy tackled me from going near this lad lining up with his driver. And I was all "Play is suspended! Play is suspended!"
And everyone thanked me.

Thanks for that

Haven't thought about that experience in forever.

Aw man
I got a job at the Irish Open out in Royal Dublin in 1985
I was sat out on the 10th green with a radio and I had to ask the players their score as they came off the green and radio it back to the scoreboard. No job for a child.
Met every single player from Ballesteros to Faldo to Trevino to Langer and so on. This is when the Irish Open was a big deal. My Dad - a golfer - was proud as punch. I was paid 20 quid a day, and had to give my Ma half (gutted).

At one point they stopped play, and I had to charge the 11th tee to stop teh players hitting off.
SOme English player's caddy tackled me from going near this lad lining up with his driver. And I was all "Play is suspended! Play is suspended!"
And everyone thanked me.

Thanks for that

Haven't thought about that experience in forever.
Great day out there.
Lee Trevino and Seve are my fave golfers.
Trevino refused to play at The Masters for several years because of Augusta's racist club membership rules.
EDIT:
Only remembered Portmarnock didn't have women members after I posted

do you ever get that realization in jargony job settings that some people just enjoy speaking gobbledegook.

Like, my job uses lots of funny words, but in the industry we've all pretty much agreed on what they mean, and they all do mean something. Then some lad arrives in and speaks fluent nonsense, directed at you though. Like, they think they're speaking your language now, they've learned it, and they can communicate with the weirdos.

You're just sitting there going, mate, I don't understand a word you said. Any of it at all. I don't even know what you're asking there.

The question just sits there in front of branch pretty much, with no one knowing what's even being asked. You're even @'d in the question, so eventually you just kinda lob in the old "I don't think that question is at me", close down Teams, and call it a day.

Peak gobbledegook.

I just checked back in Teams, to see if there was any other responses, because there's been zero up till now.

The original lad agreed I might not be implicated in the question at all, but felt the need to raise awareness.

Management will get onto it presently, and probably crank out a load of Jira mystery tickets. Which will sit for months, assigned to themselves because they don;t know who else to assign it to.

do you ever get that realization in jargony job settings that some people just enjoy speaking gobbledegook.

Like, my job uses lots of funny words, but in the industry we've all pretty much agreed on what they mean, and they all do mean something. Then some lad arrives in and speaks fluent nonsense, directed at you though. Like, they think they're speaking your language now, they've learned it, and they can communicate with the weirdos.

You're just sitting there going, mate, I don't understand a word you said. Any of it at all. I don't even know what you're asking there.

The question just sits there in front of branch pretty much, with no one knowing what's even being asked. You're even @'d in the question, so eventually you just kinda lob in the old "I don't think that question is at me", close down Teams, and call it a day.

Peak gobbledegook.

I get similars just in a different way, i think. I know sound, I fix lots of sound. I meet lots of people who like equipment and never shut up about 'new' plugins, add ons, bells, whistles and whatever. I be like, bbz, there are essentially 4 plugins, they name them, rebrand them, reskin them or whatever but all told, there's about 4, and you need 3. Everything else is just a rap battle for equipment fanboys.

I get similars just in a different way, i think. I know sound, I fix lots of sound. I meet lots of people who like equipment and never shut up about 'new' plugins, add ons, bells, whistles and whatever. I be like, bbz, there are essentially 4 plugins, they name them, rebrand them, reskin them or whatever but all told, there's about 4, and you need 3. Everything else is just a rap battle for equipment fanboys.

But like, what if someone called you out, cc'd you in a mail or something, asking if the timorous setting on the oak quotient of the axial feedback dampening was correct, and you'd appreciate the relevant AES adjustments noted to report back to senior management.

Do you just say... I don't think I'm involved axial feedback dampening, and hope for the best?
Or stick up the side eye meme and call it done.
1697062011960.png

But like, what if someone called you out, cc'd you in a mail or something, asking if the timorous setting on the oak quotient of the axial feedback dampening was correct, and you'd appreciate the relevant AES adjustments noted to report back to senior management.

Nah I'm out of the firing line for that kinda thing mostly. I did get a really condescending email about a sound file (that they created) from a certain internationally known supposed world standard type organization once and it smelled of 'i know the sound terminology and i must enforce it' so i called bluff and essentially they got the same file back re-named, to which they were really impressed with the turnaround and the improved quality.

OVER COMPENSATING MUCH?

to which they were really impressed with the turnaround and the improved quality.

Oh that's a clever way to go about it, lean into it, fix the issue according to their helpful suggestions. Ah yes, it was just a matter of setting the oak quotient correctly after all. Here's your fixed up file.

You could continually reinforce them up until they start to realise that nobody can adjust an oak quotient as quickly and well as you can. And you both have jobs forever.

Win.

Oh that's a clever way to go about it, lean into it, fix the issue according to their helpful suggestions. Ah yes, it was just a matter of setting the oak quotient correctly after all. Here's your fixed up file.

You could continually reinforce them up until they start to realise that nobody can adjust an oak quotient as quickly and well as you can. And you both have jobs forever.

Win.
Consultancy.

When I came I to work yesterday afternoon, I thought I'd be done by 23:00. Then I was told 01:00.

I am still here. I'm definitely getting a day and a half pay, and we are edging very close to two full days pay, but still.

This is a minor complaint for me, my colleague however, is not used to this type of event. She is very upset. And she's German.

When I came I to work yesterday afternoon, I thought I'd be done by 23:00. Then I was told 01:00.

I am still here. I'm definitely getting a day and a half pay, and we are edging very close to two full days pay, but still.

This is a minor complaint for me, my colleague however, is not used to this type of event. She is very upset. And she's German.
Is it not a big health and safety issue to push people so far beyond their finish time (and bedtime!)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back