Minor complaints thread (23 Viewers)

Musicians scorn each other for playing Sweet Caroline, but fuck me audiences FUCKING LOVE IT. In my experience here is no surer-fire winner at a singalong

After the US election someone tweted a video of a crowd celebrating and singing that song in the street and said that Sweet Caroline is "the sound of white joy."

I think that's why musicians often look down on it - they think music is more important than plain old joy. They're wrong

I wouldn't even say it's a guilty pleasure, but after years of thinking about it as "Neil Diamond the lameo in the jumpsuit urrgh" in recent years I've decided that it's a really good tune and now I think "Neil Diamond, the lameo in the fucking awesome jumpsuit."

The younger person version of it is Ireland's very own Singalong Social

At ATN there in 2018 or 2019 I went along to check it out and I couldn't actually handle the songs they were choosing. I love to singalong to a good pop song but, yeesh, there's such a thing as taste.

I went to Singalong Social twice at Body&Soul in 2017. The kids were with us and the first one was a kids version - Mrs. egg_ had to tell me to shut up because I was roaring out "Let it go" so loudly I was scaring other people's children (my own are used to it)
Ah i know, I can't bedgrudge people having fun but I could not handle all the Drops of Jupiter's and Steps songs and the like... I clearly need the indie version where they'll play Pulp and, I dunno, The Futureheads.

I wouldn't even say it's a guilty pleasure, but after years of thinking about it as "Neil Diamond the lameo in the jumpsuit urrgh" in recent years I've decided that it's a really good tune and now I think "Neil Diamond, the lameo in the fucking awesome jumpsuit."
Neil Diamond, the lameo that is apparently really sound and treats his crew people really well so he's okay really

An ex lived 100m from Croke Park when Diamond played. The atmosphere was really good, you could feel it in the air. Much better than most GAA games.

I wasn't in the stadium, so I have no idea what those people did for all that time. But that bit, jesus, they all knew that bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back