MIA (2 Viewers)

2007 picnic show anyone?

too fucked to drink

too drunk to go etc
It wasn't very good. Though I was down the back and the sound was dreadful, I think people who were nearer the front seemed to enjoy it more.

Arular was great, Kala was a bit patchy.

It wasn't very good. Though I was down the back and the sound was dreadful, I think people who were nearer the front seemed to enjoy it more.

It is essential in any discussion like this for someone to say they like the first album more.
Fair play, Stan.

agreed, the picnic show was awful, but again, I was near the back. I left after about 3/4 songs as my ears couldn't hack any more abuse.

I like Kala though, but agree that theres lots of filler on it.

It was one of my favourite things at EP last year, was pretty much up the front though.

I listen to her loads & wreck my friends heads by putting her on up loud at parties & dancing along roaring my head off, fun times.

What's with all this knee-jerk reactionary feminist bullshit. Not once in my post did I mention that I though her producers were selected by an A&R because she's a woman. The exact same thing happens with males artists. Do you think when Timberlake's first album came out he earmarked Timbaland and the Neptunes as his first choice producers or do you think that decision was made by an A&R at Jive?

Wasn't she going out with Diplo for a while? Why do you presume that her record company tells her what to do? XL are hardly Interscope or Jive or whatever, are they?

I think Sunshowers is the best song she did. Apart from that she is a bit meh. Nothing to do with her being a woman, just not a great songwriter/singer/rapper...

What's with all this knee-jerk reactionary feminist bullshit. Not once in my post did I mention that I though her producers were selected by an A&R because she's a woman. The exact same thing happens with males artists. Do you think when Timberlake's first album came out he earmarked Timbaland and the Neptunes as his first choice producers or do you think that decision was made by an A&R at Jive?

in completely neglecting that she does her own label, produced her own demos, and choses who she works with, plus the fact that a hell of a lot of people think she's brilliant,
you basically ass-umed everything else
on the weak basis that you don't happen to like her style
you concluded that there's probably an A&R 'man' responsible for the parts you give credibility to, ie diplo

so for someone who doesn't intend to make gender based insinuations, you did a pretty good job all the same
is all

Wasn't she going out with Diplo for a while? Why do you presume that her record company tells her what to do? XL are hardly Interscope or Jive or whatever, are they?

I didn't presume that her record company tells her what do to I only put if forward as a possibility. The reason I did so is because I consider her to be talentless. Like I said earlier she can't sing, she can't rap, she doesn't write all her own lyrics, she doesn't play any instruments and all of her singles have been produced/composed by people other then herself. She is however very easy to market which I why I have my suspicions that she is little more then a craftily manufactured pop puppet. She's very attractive, she's got some very hip stylists and she's got a great back story. Her press release practically writes itself. If a record label wanted to be cynical and exploit both the increasing interest in Baile Funk and Baltimore House over the last few years and young Asian record buying population in Britain then she's their dream ticket.

in completely neglecting that she does her own label, produced her own demos, and choses who she works with, plus the fact that a hell of a lot of people think she's brilliant,
you basically ass-umed everything else
on the weak basis that you don't happen to like her style
you concluded that there's probably an A&R 'man' responsible for the parts you give credibility to, ie diplo

so for someone who doesn't intend to make gender based insinuations, you did a pretty good job all the same
is all

1. Sorry for saying A&R "Man" when I should have said of A&R "Person". I wasn't implying that all female artists are merely puppets being manipulated by males. I wouldn't however rule out the fact that someone is making musical decisions for her. This is not because she is female. It is because she is shit.
2. What do you mean she produced her own demos? I was under understanding that she got signed to XL in England on the strength of Galang which was produced by the Cavemen and written by Justine Frischmann. In the US most of the initial buzz about her came off the back of the Piracy Funds terrorism mixtape which was produced and mixed by Diplo.
3. How do you know that she choses who she works with? Was it not Diplo who suggested that she work with Switch?
3. And as for a the statement "A hell of a lot people think she's brilliant", so what? A hell of a lot of people think Snow Patrol are brilliant. A hell of a lot of people are wrong a hell of a lot of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back