Marriage Equality Referendum (3 Viewers)

How will you vote?

• Yes

Votes: 43 91.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Undecided (/ I am a moron)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I probably won't bother to actually vote because I'm a selfish prick

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
From an unidentified person on Facebook:

I have some prejudices. It's something I work on, but they're still there. The last time they appeared was on a marriage equality canvassing run - the door hadjust been opened by a man in his seventies and I'd assumed I was in for a tough conversation.

"Marriage equality? Sure I was looking for that before you were born!"

Many doorstep conversations follow a similar line but talk of a 1970's marriage equality campaign was new to me. I did my best impersonation of a deer caught in headlights. He took pity on me and explained.

He's a Catholic. His wife is a Protestant. Today there are very few of us who would baulk at the idea of love between two Christians but at the time he and his wife encountered fierce opposition. Civil marriage did not exist, and he told me of long, protracted negotiations to receive dispensation from his Bishop. Eventually they were allowed wed: at a side altar, on the condition that there would be no flowers and no music.

He told me of an environment where he was encouraged to find 'a more suitable wife' and how he was told his children would suffer from his abnormal union. I could see that the No campaign were bringing back painful memories for him.

I thanked him for his time he showed me a picture of his smiling, happy grandchildren.

"Time proves the naysayers wrong", he said.

Considering it is already legal in France Germany Spain Denmark Portugal Sweden Norway Netherlands Iceland Scotland England Whales basically most of western europe just think how backward were going to look if we dont pass it will be completely if we dont

None of those states alloweda referendum on it though, if it fails our 'backwardness' could only be measured against any other state that puts the matter to referendum in future.

"However, under the Irish constitution any major social change altering the balance of church and state has to be put to a plebiscite."

What a pile of shite.

I have some prejudices. It's something I work on, but they're still there. The last time they appeared was on a marriage equality canvassing run - the door hadjust been opened by a man in his seventies and I'd assumed I was in for a tough conversation.

Many doorstep conversations follow a similar line but talk of a 1970's marriage equality campaign was new to me. I did my best impersonation of a deer caught in headlights. He took pity on me and explained.

He's a Catholic. His wife is a Protestant. Today there are very few of us who would baulk at the idea of love between two Christians but at the time he and his wife encountered fierce opposition. Civil marriage did not exist, and he told me of long, protracted negotiations to receive dispensation from his Bishop. Eventually they were allowed wed: at a side altar, on the condition that there would be no flowers and no music.

He told me of an environment where he was encouraged to find 'a more suitable wife' and how he was told his children would suffer from his abnormal union. I could see that the No campaign were bringing back painful memories for him.

I thanked him for his time he showed me a picture of his smiling, happy grandchildren.

That's still the case today, my brother married a (nominally) Hindu lady, he had to recieve dispensation and get a priest from a neighbouring parish in to perform the ceremony as the local priest refused.
Most religions have similar rules (or at least had until recently), it seems bizarre but if the religion hopes to continue into the future it makes sense to ensure that the children of those married in your church will be raised in that church.

Breda's Irish Times piece at the weekend was the op-ed equivalent of the Robert Patrick Terminator death throes in the vat of molten metal in T2.
Every dumb argument she's ever had screaming for attention before dissolving into inevitability.

Or that's the way it occurred to me anyway. I watch that movie a lot.

The pearl-clutching going on here only adds to the unintentional comedy of the whole thing
our beloved Government has just passed a Bill, with virtually no public discussion due to a compliant media, that has enormous and far-reaching consequences. The Bill means the scenario that happened with Mary Portas, whose brother Lawrence Newton provided sperm so that Melanie Rickey, Portas’s partner, could conceive a child, Horatio, can now happen here with the sanction of the State.

Legally, Horatio has two mothers, and no father. Legally, Newton is merely his uncle. Any children Newton has are first cousins to their half-sibling. This twisting and tangling of the family tree is only the beginning.

My aunt and uncle had a terrible rigmorole getting approval for their mixed marriage, in part it was down to my aunt wanting it done in a Roman Catholic church, it would have been far easier had she just done it C of I in what was my family's local church. In the end they had to get married a couple of hours away in a parish that no one knew them in and they were only allowed to invite immediate family. This would have been mid-70's.

I'm not sure she has a case

"...the only thing the Iona Institute actually engage in is religiously motivated political lobbying... for the influence of civil law..."

Surely that's the exactly the advancement of religion as allowed by Revenue?

"they do not have the support of the majority of Irish citizens"

Should that be necessary for an organisation to be considered a charity?

(Sorry for being lazy and not making proper quotes)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back