Marriage Equality Referendum (1 Viewer)

How will you vote?

• Yes

Votes: 43 91.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Undecided (/ I am a moron)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I probably won't bother to actually vote because I'm a selfish prick

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
yeah, I dunno.

I'm down with people starting their own businesses and charting their own course. People that work very hard seem to get very resentful of doleys though.

I'd like to read the original piece. That kind of resentment fascinates me, mostly because I'm surrounded by it.

I can somewhat understand why hard-working people would get pissed off at doleys but even then, I think a lot of it is driven by a very superficial understanding of the world.
We need more philanthropy and understanding, its in everyones interests.

Self-reliance is a great quality

Is it self reliance? Is self reliance using a skill, substance or product to fulfil a need or desire of the locals, or is that a whole lot of dependency? I figure if you found out what these fucking great kids do, it probably depends both on the existence of the dole and state subsidies.

PS, I voted no above because no-one else had and I didn't wanna confirm my moronic status.
Up the gays, death to heteros etc.

Wanna a start a prog themed anti straighlord band with me??
We can be called 'Hethro Cull'.

Getting back on topic, a thought occurred to me earlier, is it actually necessary for this referendum to take place? Why can't it be done simply in the Dail through ordinary legislation?

There's no explicit definition of marriage in the constitution, or does the reference to the special place that the church has in society mean that there's an implied constitutional ban?

I suppose getting it in the constitution would make it harder to undo if a future government wanted to reverse it. And a popular vote of the people endorsing the change would certainly give it a legitimate mandate to dismiss complaints about it being down to activists overreaching their authority.

Broadcast law update... Just to save people a day of calling RTE homophobic again. It was updated last week (the referendum broadcasting code) and rte's latest mailout is based on the update.

The update text is:

Broadcasters should note that that comments made off-air, for
example in print publications or social media, by programme presenters in respect of the referenda, particularly presenters of news and current affairs, may have the potential to undermine the perceived impartiality of their coverage. It is a matter for broadcasters to deal with such issues in the context of their contractual or employment relationship with presenters.

It's in an absolute legal minefield of a paragraph as well.

And a popular vote of the people endorsing the change would certainly give it a legitimate mandate to dismiss complaints about it being down to activists overreaching their authority.

I think its this totally. I also think you are right, a few pen strokes on a quiet tuesday in teh dail and bob's your auntie.

My tin foil hat theory on the referendum being held is that if you are pandering to silicon valley to move some middle class jobs on to your bankrupt little island, you should at least appear forward thinking and progressive.

Getting back on topic, a thought occurred to me earlier, is it actually necessary for this referendum to take place? Why can't it be done simply in the Dail through ordinary legislation?

There's no explicit definition of marriage in the constitution, or does the reference to the special place that the church has in society mean that there's an implied constitutional ban?

I suppose getting it in the constitution would make it harder to undo if a future government wanted to reverse it. And a popular vote of the people endorsing the change would certainly give it a legitimate mandate to dismiss complaints about it being down to activists overreaching their authority.

I was only reading on this last week, I've since returned the book but iirc- Zappone took a case a few years back and the judge ruled that when the constitution was enacted, marriage was universally understood as being male/female (or female/male if you rather) and, while the constitution is a 'living document' subject to changing definition, we weren't yet ready to redefine marriage.
Also, as you said, changing it constitutionally should render it watertight, to let the oireachtas do it would leave room for appeal (Although even then, given that the person making the appeal has to have a material interest* in the case, I'm not sure gays being allowed marry would impact anyone in such a way as to give them a material interest/leave to appeal)

*May not be the actual term but its something approximating to it.

Broadcast law update... Just to save people a day of calling RTE homophobic again. It was updated last week (the referendum broadcasting code) and rte's latest mailout is based on the update.

The update text is:

It's in an absolute legal minefield of a paragraph as well.

Why did I think of Ray Darcy on reading that?

the political benefit is that the government can be seen to have allowed the people to vote, and the losing side can't blame the government for the change which they voted against. or lack of change, possibly.

While this is possibly true I think our constitution demands that this needs to go to a referendum

People power!
Well @45% of the people , maybe, if they can bothered to vote

Considering it is already legal in France Germany Spain Denmark Portugal Sweden Norway Netherlands Iceland Scotland England Whales basically most of western europe just think how backward were going to look if we dont pass it will be completely if we dont

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back