Marriage Equality Referendum (2 Viewers)

How will you vote?

• Yes

Votes: 43 91.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Undecided (/ I am a moron)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I probably won't bother to actually vote because I'm a selfish prick

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can't see how insisting on the amazingness of heterosexual marriage is the best way to protect children and families across the board when such an approach excludes all the children of unmarried heterosexuals, not to mind the children of married or unmarried heterosexuals, single parents, orphans etc. You might as well reintroduce illegitimacy for children of unwed parents if you go down that road. These people are either homophobes-in-denial, complete ninnies, or both.

They are basically like the black knight in the Holy Grail. Every argue they had has been hacked off, and they're still trying to headbutt people.
Society is headed in one direction on this.

Clare Byrne actually did a great job on her first show on the marriage equality debate but the whole thing was totally biased against it, and the bit were she exposed the Iona supporter in the audience tells us all we need to know. Piece meal to equality but iRTE definitely rowing the other way.

Clare Byrne actually did a great job on her first show on the marriage equality debate but the whole thing was totally biased against it, and the bit were she exposed the Iona supporter in the audience tells us all we need to know. Piece meal to equality but iRTE definitely rowing the other way.

WRONG!!

Broadcast law dictates the format, not RTE. Because they had Colin Farrell giving an uninterrupted speech they have to balance that by giving equal time to the opposing side in the referendum, or get sued (again) for propaganda.

What show?

Is your contention that RTE want marriage equality so bad they'd rig a debate?

Ann, itd be hard to believe but iona have mouthpieces on every news panel show on both TV and radio, almost uncontested, as well as now having audience members planted (and exposed brilliantly by Clare last night) to back up the scare tactics and derailment Ionas Bitch Perfect by Todrick Hall - YouTube seem to depend on as their MO

I've explained this a thousand times before in various parts of the internet, but you seem like a nice person so I will again. I'm not making this up by the by, this was my job for a year.

Broadcast law: In a referendum, you can't talk about the referendum without giving both sides a say i.e. equal time to speak about their opinion on the referendum. This may be in one show or it may be spread across two shows. This is Irish broadcast law relating to current affairs.

In the equal marriage referendum the only people who are willing and available to talk against equal marriage rights are Iona, so if any media outlet (radio or tv) wants to give any coverage to the referendum they literally have two options.

A: don't cover the referendum (censorship?)
B: get Iona on to debate with people supporting marriage equality.

this does not apply to print or the internet, just radio and tv.

So what i boils down to is that Iona are getting airtime because broadcasters dont really have a choice.

It makes it really easy to think that tv/radio has some agenda where they get those idiots on all the time but it isn't an agenda, its just people doing their jobs legally and only having one option to fulfill the legal requirements. I did this myself. I wanted to give the marriage equality guys some airtime but i couldn't do it legally without giving Iona equal airtime.

In the case of the equality referendum, it looks awful because for any sane person its a no-brainer. It is about freedom of speech though and as ugly as it is, its actually some of the best written broadcast law in the world.

Thanks for that Ann. I can see its a thankless job. As to no-brainer, that works both ways. Of course there has to be equal time given to both sides, but when that same one side is seemingly the only mouthpiece against this referendum, it paints them in the colours they deserve with the fear mongering, scare tactics and outright untruths..but the amount of all that they get to transmit, on tv/ radio and print media, they manage and are managing to sow just enough disinformation and BS to cause doubt in the minds of ordinary people, who aren't fully read up on the facts so Iona conflating marriage equality as a threat to family and children, even though that legislation is a wholly separate thing, is causing confusion doubt and fear and needs to be shut down or clarification offered at the beginning or end of a debate stating that the two are seperate issues.

their entire gameplan is to play this game and muddy the waters enough so as to sow enough doubt. Surely its the job of any good moderator to call them on that tactic and remind them theyve purposefully wandered off topic and shutdown that tangent? Claire did a pretty great job last night but still allowed Breda o Brien (AND her son in the audience!) to do this, unchecked, with no retort or reminder that this isnt what this debate is about.

im rambling, but thanks for your post. Lot i wasnt aware of there.

is this not the case only once campaigning is underway? it seems the 'equal time' criterion is motivated this time, at least in part, by the panti/iona & waters settlement last year. has campaigning started or are we still in the early stages?

I've explained this a thousand times before in various parts of the internet, but you seem like a nice person so I will again. I'm not making this up by the by, this was my job for a year.

Broadcast law: In a referendum, you can't talk about the referendum without giving both sides a say i.e. equal time to speak about their opinion on the referendum. This may be in one show or it may be spread across two shows. This is Irish broadcast law relating to current affairs.

In the equal marriage referendum the only people who are willing and available to talk against equal marriage rights are Iona, so if any media outlet (radio or tv) wants to give any coverage to the referendum they literally have two options.

A: don't cover the referendum (censorship?)
B: get Iona on to debate with people supporting marriage equality.

this does not apply to print or the internet, just radio and tv.

So what i boils down to is that Iona are getting airtime because broadcasters dont really have a choice.

It makes it really easy to think that tv/radio has some agenda where they get those idiots on all the time but it isn't an agenda, its just people doing their jobs legally and only having one option to fulfill the legal requirements. I did this myself. I wanted to give the marriage equality guys some airtime but i couldn't do it legally without giving Iona equal airtime.

In the case of the equality referendum, it looks awful because for any sane person its a no-brainer. It is about freedom of speech though and as ugly as it is, its actually some of the best written broadcast law in the world.

Correct Iona and its members throwing lawsuits at RTE and Panti brought the BAI to insist on balance in every debate. Una mulally couldnt even promote her book on the fight for marriage equality on RTE without the need for 'balance'.

And so the same old Iona faces get rolled out with the same old nonsensical rhetoric.

is this not the case only once campaigning is underway? it seems the 'equal time' criterion is motivated this time, at least in part, by the panti/iona & waters settlement last year. has campaigning started or are we still in the early stages?

Once the referendum is announced its a referendum from then onward as regards broadcast, which is ages ago,

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back