Making Bread (1 Viewer)

Wobbler

Website
www.discogs.com
Just had a bash of it there. I took it out of the oven a few minutes ago and it looks fantastic. I think it's the best thing I've ever done. Anyone else into this?

Yeah
I go through phases of it.

You should try replacing the water with good beer (boil the alcokol off first or it will kill the yeast) makes a beautiful loaf with a really complicated tase.

It's amazing how easy the whole process is - if you have a dough hook you can lash out a couple of loafs in minnutes and theres nothing to rising and knocking back.

You can also leave the dough in the fridge overnight to rise slowly - cives a chewier more sourdough texture and then bake it off in the morning.

easy peasy.

are you using the strong flour in the tan coloured bag?

I was using the self-raising flour. What should I be using? My cookies never come out right here either. It's super annoying. I thought it was measurements but I have my measuring cups from the states here and it still doesn't come out right.

If you're baking bread it's strong flour you need - plain flour won't have enough gluten and you wouldnt use self raising with yeast cause it already has baking powder added.

Honestly, I think I tried it with all three and none of them worked. Maybe it's just different flour full stop. I know there is a conversion for Canadian/US flours in baking but I can't figure it out here. I had loads of loaves just not work out. I was obsessed for weeks and then just gave up.

Honestly, I think I tried it with all three and none of them worked. Maybe it's just different flour full stop. I know there is a conversion for Canadian/US flours in baking but I can't figure it out here. I had loads of loaves just not work out. I was obsessed for weeks and then just gave up.

I shouldnt bee the bread recipe I use is Julia Childs' cant get more yankified than that.

Send me the recipe and I'll have a look.

Sometimes people go on about the moisture in the flour - how at different times of the year you have to change the recipe and add more or less water.

In reality this means you know how firm you want the dough and you either don't add the last slug of water or add another few drops extra - no great mystery.

I'd say the most likely explanation is either the type of flour or some sort of bread soda baking powder terminology confusion. (either that or your just a complete kitchen spaz :eek:)

I always lash in lots of cous cous. and seeds. Roasting garlic and throwing it in is great too. I don't make loafs though, crispy buns. Still can't get over the fact you can only buy fresh yeast in one shop in Dublin

Found it in my e-mail:

Cardamom Bread Ingredients
2 pk Active Dry Yeast
1/3 cup Sugar
1 c Warm Water
Cardamom (about 20 pods crushed/ground)
1 Egg at room temperature
2 teaspoon Salt
6 1/2 cup Sifted Flour
1/4 cup Soft Butter Or Shortening
Sprinkle yeast on warm water; stir to dissolve. Blend in egg, 3 cups of flour, cardamom, sugar and salt. Beat with mixer at medium speed about 2 minutes until batter is smooth.

Add butter and enough remaining flour, a little at a time, first with spoon and then by hand, to make a fairly soft dough that leaves the sides for the bowl. Turn onto lightly floured board. Knead until smooth and elastic ( 8 minutes).

Place in greased bowl and turn over to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch down dough, turn over and let rest 10 minutes. Turn out onto board; divide dough in half. Shape into 2 loaves and place in greased loaf pans. Cover, let rise until doubled; bake at 400 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes, covering with foil during last 15 minutes to prevent browning too much. Remove from pans and cool on racks.

I'll have a look when I get home and do some reading but just looking at it the recipe it looks wierd. That's a huge amount of sugar and seems like a huge amount of yeast too - is it bolting and rising very fast?

If you are using fast acting yeast there's no need to go through the palaver of adding it to the water - you can just add it to the flour directly without dissolving first - it also means you are less likely to kill the yeast if your water is too hot.

Are you sure your yeast is still alive - if you add a packet to some warm water will it start to foam? - it could be that the yeast is fucked.

I'll have a look when I get home and do some reading but just looking at it the recipe it looks wierd. That's a huge amount of sugar and seems like a huge amount of yeast too - is it bolting and rising very fast?

If you are using fast acting yeast there's no need to go through the palaver of adding it to the water - you can just add it to the flour directly without dissolving first - it also means you are less likely to kill the yeast if your water is too hot.

Are you sure your yeast is still alive - if you add a packet to some warm water will it start to foam? - it could be that the yeast is fucked.

Maybe I transcribed the recipe wrong before moving? Never thought about that option because my cookies never turned out and I KNOW that recipe is right. Huh. It is a sweet type bread so it is a bit more sugary than the typical white bread.

I always lash in lots of cous cous. and seeds. Roasting garlic and throwing it in is great too. I don't make loafs though, crispy buns. Still can't get over the fact you can only buy fresh yeast in one shop in Dublin

Apparently the easiest way to get fresh yeast is to go to a supermarket with a bakery and just ask the baker for some. I haven't tried it, but I know people who have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back