Making Bread (1 Viewer)

bit of a cop out, but did ye ever use one of these bad boys:

Bread_Maker.jpg

they make deadly pizza base too.

Maybe I transcribed the recipe wrong before moving? Never thought about that option because my cookies never turned out and I KNOW that recipe is right. Huh. It is a sweet type bread so it is a bit more sugary than the typical white bread.

OK I found a similar recipe in Leiths.

The amount of yeast in your recipe is actually probably right because the dough is enriched it will not rise as well as a plain white loaf.

here are the quantities in metric.

200ml Milk
4tsp fast action yeast (I think that's 2 sachets)
450g Strong Flour
1tsp salt
85g butter
55g caster sugar
2 eggs beaten

You can add the cardamom to that.

The instructions are pretty much as you recipe but if I was making it I'd do in in the food processor with a dough hook like this:

Tip all the dry ingredients into the bowl - yeast and all. Turn on the motor and add the scalded milk. When the dough is massed on the hook stop and leave rest for 5 mins. Incorporate the butter bit by bit - don't beat for more than a few seconds at a time. Take the dough out and finish kneading by hand. Rise, knock back etc lash into oven.

I haven't tested that, so no guarantees but it should work with a lot less palaver than is called for in the original recipe.

I haven't tried anything more adventurous than soda bread yet.
It's a great one for anyone who's interested in getting started.

450g plain flour
1 tsp bread soda (baking soda/bicarbonate of soda)
1 tsp caster sugar
Half tsp salt
400ml buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 230C (gas mark 8).

Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.

Gradually mix in the buttermilk.

Put into a greased 2lb (900g) loaf tin.
Bake for 20-30 mins.

Turn out of tin & cool on a wire rack.

You can also add 25g of sultanas & 25 grams of caster sugar if you want to make fruit soda bread.

Made a fresh batch last night.
All made from the same dough which is the White Yeast Bread recipe from Avoca Cookbook.

I used fast acting dried yeast instead & threw in a load of fresh rosemary & thyme too.
3761737346_60e2cf1992_b.jpg

Just had a bash of it there. I took it out of the oven a few minutes ago and it looks fantastic. I think it's the best thing I've ever done. Anyone else into this?
Look at me back then, so young and full of enthusiasm. I never got around to baking another loaf.

i tried a couple of no-knead recipes over the years but realised i quite like kneading and i prefer kneaded bread. the no-knead ones were always better toasted than fresh.

Anyone I know that's in any way serious about bread, likes to knead and objects to the method on that basis. Which I understand.
I think it's a good gateway to demystify the process for people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back