Major Pleasures (3 Viewers)

I find that to be both true and amazing.

Why no insulation before? Was it in other countries?

we've come from a very low base in terms of housing stock in ireland (materials

70-80 years ago a significant portion of the population lived in tenements, or really rough rural houses.

even a poured concrete 2 up 2 down council house was a big step up.

More recently its also been cheaper to build without things like cavity walls and insulation - both in terms of DIY builders in the country, and developers in towns.

yep - having lived in multiple cold shitholes over the years I can relate.

Ireland as a whole pretty much only discovered the concept of insulation sometime in the late 90s

I put it down to work ethic and catholic guilt, if you're cold, you deserve to be cold!

The damp pervasive coldness of Ireland is shocking though, you don't realise how awful it is until you go somewhere else.

I put it down to work ethic and catholic guilt, if you're cold, you deserve to be cold!

The damp pervasive coldness of Ireland is shocking though, you don't realise how awful it is until you go somewhere else.

don't forget the brits.
800 years of stealing our styrofoam left our colonialized minds unable to consider ourselves worthy of warmth

Ann posts weekly
Buy a dehumidifier
Post.

Seriously though, do.
Use the water for the plants then.

my only regular encounter with a dehumidifier was the one in fred lane (rehersal studio/damp basement entrance to hell). god knows what that condensate contained.
I remember one summer it stopped working, and mould started growing on me fretboard..

my only regular encounter with a dehumidifier was the one in fred lane (rehersal studio/damp basement entrance to hell). god knows what that condensate contained.
I remember one summer it stopped working, and mould started growing on me fretboard..
I got that in the shed here where I'm the only person that goes in there. Damp finds a way.

When you get into an album so much that you've been going through phases of listening to different songs off it on repeat for months.

We need a "home insulation" thread

fucks sake
I have important information to contribute here! I insulated the full depth of my floor joists and got dry rot. Had to take it all out, replace parts of the joists.. big work. The wood needs exposed surface area to breathe so you should only ever insulate two-thirds of the depth. If you have 150mm joists you should only have 100mm insulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back