Major Pleasures (3 Viewers)

I have important information to contribute here! I insulated the full depth of my floor joists and got dry rot. Had to take it all out, replace parts of the joists.. big work. The wood needs exposed surface area to breathe so you should only ever insulate two-thirds of the depth. If you have 150mm joists you should only have 100mm insulation.
Should have left the air vents open, "simples."

(I have absolutely no idea why I took that Johnnyraz post so personally)

I have important information to contribute here! I insulated the full depth of my floor joists and got dry rot. Had to take it all out, replace parts of the joists.. big work. The wood needs exposed surface area to breathe so you should only ever insulate two-thirds of the depth. If you have 150mm joists you should only have 100mm insulation.
I fucked up my shed in this very way. I didn't leave any breathing room in the floor. Fuck it,if and when it ever comes a cropper I'll tear it down and rebuild...bigger.

I was more concerned about mould but now I'm also concerned about dry rot.

Edit..just read pressure treated Timber is rot proof..so it's just the mould I'm looking forward to

Last edited:
I don't get it. Dry rot is a fungus thing and needs water to survive. I don't get how insulation affects this? Like, insulation or not, water is still able to get at the wood, no? So it would get dry rot either way, if the dry rot fungus can get at it? Like, how does 'giving the wood room to breathe' stop dry rot? Surely it would have the opposite effect, of giving easier access to water, so that if there is dry rot present then it can thrive?

I don't get it. Dry rot is a fungus thing and needs water to survive. I don't get how insulation affects this? Like, insulation or not, water is still able to get at the wood, no? So it would get dry rot either way, if the dry rot fungus can get at it? Like, how does 'giving the wood room to breathe' stop dry rot? Surely it would have the opposite effect, of giving easier access to water, so that if there is dry rot present then it can thrive?

Wood is not what you think it wood be.

You leave wood in air long enough, it normalises with the ambient humidity and the moisture content comes close to that. Like beds and couches have whole sections with no finish on them.

On the other hand it is essentially evolved to take water and move it inside itself, so if there is no air contact, its a sponge that actually kinda tries to suck moisture.

Oh also

condensation.

Go buy a dehumidifier.

Wood?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

air inside a house is more humid than air outside, typically - and it's your fault, with your insistence on breathing.
when the warm moist air inside meets a cold surface, it condenses. you don't worry about mould growing on the outside of a house usually - even though it's exposed to rain; but you'll often see mould growing inside a badly insulated and badly ventilated house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back