mad foreigner vegetables (1 Viewer)

plug said:
okay, here's one:

hmmm.jpg

suppose it's relatively easy. no, it's not a tomato, but you're close... hint: unlike the tomato the outside skin is extremely bitter.
is it a tamarallo or something like that

plug said:
ching!!!! well, close enough... it's a tamarillo, originally from subtropical south america. perú etc. also known as a tree tomato.

Dagnab it! and me spending two years working in a greengrocers, fat lot of good that did me.

plug said:
ching!!!! well, close enough... it's a tamarillo, originally from subtropical south america. perú etc. also known as a tree tomato.
so are they nice? you eat them like a regular fruit? peel and monch? oh my, this is all very exciting :)

weeeell.....

I'm not sure really. I think it's either/or. I kinda bit into the one I had, not really knowing what to expect. the outer skin is quite bitter, (kinda similar to a mango skin perhaps), but inside is pure deadliness!

tamarillos according to the beeb:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/glossary/t.shtml?tamarillo said:
Tamarillo

A red, egg-shaped tropical fruit about the size of a plum. It's sometimes called a tree tomato.

Tamarillo is usually eaten cooked and can be quite tart when raw, though a sprinkling of sugar can help. Avoid eating the skin, which is bitter, but use the flesh in ice creams or sorbets and serve cooked tamarillo with poultry or fish.

You can also use tamarillos in the same way as tomatoes to make sauces or chutney.

so there we have it!

They're called mangosteens, they're small and look a bit like little hard apples, you need a knife to get to the good stuff. They have little segments kind of the texture of lychee with a little stone in the middle of each.
They taste like... I dunno, a really amazing tasty fruit. strawberry with zing. I think you can get them in the oriental emporium but they're a bit expensive. Think I'll get some if I ever get paid. Tuesday maybe... yumyum

hag said:
deadly information. never even heard of these before. and i love grapefruit too!!!

You probably know this already but if you come across chinese grapefruit don't bother. It's a cross between an orange and a grapefruit which is kinda boring.

However Ruby grapefruit.|..|

Chinese pears are great, apple/pear hybrid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back