London For Kids (1 Viewer)

dunderhead

Myself and a couple of my colleagues are gonna be in London for 2 days in a couple of weeks with ten kids.

Can Thumped recommend any good shit to hit up that would go down well with 12 year olds? Already in the bag will be changing of the guard Buckingham Palace . (Christ). A West End Show. Bit of a stroll around Westminster/Embankment area.

Either Science Museum or Natural History Museum. Any pro/cons to make a case for one over the other?

A bit of shopping for them. Best place to buy crappy tourist rubbish?

Any other little nuggets for me? budget is maxed out at this stage so FREE stuff only

cheers

Not a kid expert but fwiw.

NHM is always mad crowded, you'd be queuing hours to see the dinosaurs. Amazing place though. The Science museum has loads of good stuff though. I've been there a couple of hundred times and still find new stuff. They're next to each other, you can decide on the day.

Camden market is good for tatty rubbish. I say that because, if you then take a stroll through Regents park, you'll get to have a peak into bits of the zoo without actually paying. You'll see the aviary and the giraffe stables (Yes they are really tall stables). And the canal and park are nice anyway.

Harrods is always great. And depending on what the kids are like, they might enjoy the window shopping in that area (god help them).

If you're there when the English kids are yet to be on their Easter holidays, Legoland is a total win. We rented a zipcar and I think got there in 40 minutes. Beautiful drives to get there too.

My daughter was absolutely blown away by the Harry Potter museum/experience too.

Oh, Skygarden. I think it's free but ticketed. Go in the daytime, the London skyline is rubbish at night.

by the way.

Also pretty cool and free is Leake Street:
It's quite a sight to see. Again, depends on what the kids are into.

Betwixt them is London Eye, Aquarium, Film Museum, lots of other tourist traps. But also Tate Modern, which is mostly free and " The Bridge from The Harry Potter Movie", as my Eastern European friends call it.

dunno if they still do it, it was over ten years ago i was there and i think 6 quid in, but one of the highlights of our trip was a tour of the darwin centre behind the NHM. the research and actual science end of the NHM.

Go to London, I guarantee you'll either be mugged or not appreciated. Catch the train to London, stopping at Rejection, Disappointment, Backstabbing Central and Shattered Dreams Parkway.

this book is a good read, about richard fortey's time working in the NHM.
my favourite anecdote from it was about the lad who worked in goods inwards who everyone knew was an alco, but no one knew where he kept his drink. as goods inwards in the NHM involved taking delivery of and sometimes defleshing animal caracasses, no one would say boo to him anyway. but the chap liked fortey and once when he was down chatting, he asked fortey if he'd like a nip. fortey demurred, and yer man decided to have one anyway, and stuck his arm almost up to the shoulder into a rotting whale, pulled out a bottle of bushmills, and poured himself a shot.

Not a kid expert but fwiw.

NHM is always mad crowded, you'd be queuing hours to see the dinosaurs. Amazing place though. The Science museum has loads of good stuff though. I've been there a couple of hundred times and still find new stuff. They're next to each other, you can decide on the day.

Camden market is good for tatty rubbish. I say that because, if you then take a stroll through Regents park, you'll get to have a peak into bits of the zoo without actually paying. You'll see the aviary and the giraffe stables (Yes they are really tall stables). And the canal and park are nice anyway.

Harrods is always great. And depending on what the kids are like, they might enjoy the window shopping in that area (god help them).

Strange, I just noticed I said "Harrod's is always great", I actually meant HAMLEYS, the toy store. Though I suppose Harrod's is worth a gander as well. Hamleys is good for kids of all ages.

I've just been reminded of the existence of the Horniman Museum

It has been for me more often a place to drink cans on a nice day.

It has a natural history bit, aquarium. Butterfly house, a GALLERY OF MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS. Brains in jars. Basically all the things a Victorian collector of curiosities would collect.

It might be a bit out of town depending on where you're based. But I remember seeing it advertised heavily at T2 in Dublin airport. It's a hidden treasure kind of thing.

I've just been reminded of the existence of the Horniman Museum

It has been for me more often a place to drink cans on a nice day.

It has a natural history bit, aquarium. Butterfly house, a GALLERY OF MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS. Brains in jars. Basically all the things a Victorian collector of curiosities would collect.

It might be a bit out of town depending on where you're based. But I remember seeing it advertised heavily at T2 in Dublin airport. It's a hidden treasure kind of thing.
Sounds like my dream home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back