Lisbon Treaty (1 Viewer)

I'm voting

• Total voters
awesome comments
LucilleG said:
Jun 13, 2008 4:44:07 PM Report Offensive Post
Coincidently I stopped using my shower curtains earlier this year because, due to the small size of my bathroom, the curtains got in my way. When water from the shower falls outside the tub I just mop it up. Now I have even a better reason not to use them as they might cause cancer. Wow, is anything safe?

I like being part of Europe. But I don't want Europe to take away any more of our Irishness,“ said Dublin taxi driver Ray Kennedy, who like many in the Irish capital complains about the Eastern European jobseekers who have inundated Ireland since the EU's rapid expansion in 2004.
fuck sake!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jun/15/ireland.eu?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront
The simple fact that France and Germany are now trying to isolate Ireland based on the result kinda shows that 'no' was the right result.
If there's no respect for a democratic decision by citizens of the EU then the whole notion of EU reform as per the treaty is rubbish. It really shows how detatched the EU is from its people.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jun/15/ireland.eu?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront
The simple fact that France and Germany are now trying to isolate Ireland based on the result kinda shows that 'no' was the right result.

I think a lot of the resentment from other countries is more down to the fact that Ireland seemed to dictate quite a bit of what went into the treaty in the first place & then rejected it.

I think it's more "What the fuck do you want from us?" than "You will surrender to your European Overlords!"

I think a lot of the resentment from other countries is more down to the fact that Ireland seemed to dictate quite a bit of what went into the treaty in the first place & then rejected it.

I think it's more "What the fuck do you want from us?" than "You will surrender to your European Overlords!"

I don't think so. I don't think they give two fucks to be honest. The rejection of the constitution by the french was more shocking to them.

It's the absolute arrogance that kills me.
From the EU reaction to the Yes sides classic 'I haven't read it' but you will vote for it.
I voted no on the simple fact that it will open up all the social services to competition from the private sector. It's coming anyway, but I couldn't in all good concience vote for something that will speed up the decay of our public heath service.
I understand that the vast majority of no voters had ridiculous reasons for voting no but the yes campaign did nothing to dispell the bullshit. The absolute arrogance and laziness of them. All it would have taken was a leaflet through everyones door debunking the popular myths.

It's a funny old democracy really. If we could discount everyone who voted no for the wrong reasons, yes would probably have pissed in.

So, people voted no because they were worried about corporation tax being reintroduced. Forget about their votes.

People voted no because theh thought it would legalize abortion (if we were voting for that, I would have been handing out leaflets supporting the thing). Forget about their votes

People voted no because they thought their kids would be fighting in a war for the EU army (well at least one person on morning Ireland). Forget about their votes.

The yes campaign was clearly a disaster but I thought it was interesting that anytime it was mentioned that a No vote would fuck up our standing in Europe (basically true, whether you think it's an issue or not is another story), people shouted scaremongering, yet the no side spinned lie after lie after lue.

In fairness, he was being a smartarse when he said that & no one ever finishes the quote.

He was saying that he hadn't read it cos he negotiated it.

i've been involved in a few contract negotiations, but you better fucking believe i read the things before i sign them.

ps sponsor me

i've been involved in a few contract negotiations, but you better fucking believe i read the things before i sign them.

That's cos you don't have a group of people to go through contracts, line by line, like Cowen does!

Or maybe you do?

EU Commissioner Charlie McCreevy says there is no question of Ireland being bullied by the EU into holding a second referendum on the Lisbon Treaty.

Speaking in Dublin today, he also dismissed speculation that the other 26 EU member states will ratify the treaty and leave Ireland behind.
Mr McCreevy said it would be an outrage if the other member states did not accept the decision of the Irish people, but he said he believed they would respect the Irish outcome.

He also said he strongly suspected that other EU member states would have rejected the treaty if it was put to a vote.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/breaking-news/ireland/politics/article3804990.ece

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back