Lisbon Treaty (2 Viewers)

I'm voting

• Total voters
People chanting NO-NO,NO-NO-NO-NO,NO-NO-NO-NO,NO-NO THERE'S NO LISBON!

jesus christ. That's going to be all over the news. We really are a thick lot, our inept government in particular.

Its mental that deciding on something important, like how Europe works, has been put into the hands of a crowd of dribbling gobshites, like Irish people.

Its completely predictable that we got it wrong though.

Its mental that deciding on something important, like how Europe works, has been put into the hands of a crowd of dribbling gobshites, like Irish people.

Its completely predictable that we got it wrong though.

I voted no, does that make me a dribbling gobshite?

I'm ashamed to be lumped in with the likes of Cóir though, who apparently spat at Joan Burton at one of the count centres!

I think it's difficult to be presented so many disparate things in a document and be asked to give a simple yes or a no to it. I just couldn't decide. I have no problem with the commissioner thing, for example. But there are other aspects I'm not sold on, or am unsure of their implications, like healthcare competition. So how to decide what's more important? I don't know. It's not that I don't understand the issues, it's that there are too many of them for my answer to be 'yes' or 'no'.
Also, it really isn't a good thing that European citizens have voted against many of these measures already, but they are eventually introduced anyway. The same will happen with this treaty. You can argue that the people implicitly endorse the whole thing by voting for parties that negotiated and signed the treaty, but surely that's not as concrete as an actual 'No' vote. It might not be a bad thing for the European project to be subject to the media scrutiny that these rejections bring. The people are voting No quite regularly at this stage when given a chance in any country. Now, there could be many and varied reasons for that but it should, if there is any democratic instinct amongst the political class across the Union, lead them to reconsider the direction they are taking.
I dislike the tone of admonishment with which the establishment has addressed people over the last few weeks. If you ask us to vote, respect the bloody vote. Otherwise cut the crap and keep the entire process behind closed doors.

I voted yes without feeling particularly convinced by anything mainly because I struggled to care about how the changes will effect me in the future - but in principle the reorganisation did seem like a good idea, as did the fundamental charter of rights thing.

That said, the Yes campaign, despite having all the main parties behind it was a complete disgrace. They never once deigned to explain what the fuck the point of the treaty was, probably because they assumed everyone would vote yes if all their parties stood beside one another and recommended it.

Their "its good for the economy" / "vote yes for jobs" / "what'll the rest of europe think?" / "sure, europe's been good to us" style of campaigning was a total disgrace that avoided the issues and painted over them with bluster and non-related issues in a style that reminded me of George Bush of all people.

Still, I think part of my yes vote was to try and head off the inevitable re-run at the head. No such luck.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jun/13/ireland

The bitter divisions caused by the treaty were visible at the count during ugly scenes involving Ireland's finance minister, Brian Lenihan, and members of Coir, a radical anti-abortion campaign group. Coir opposed the treaty on the grounds that European law could supplant Irish legal bans on abortion – a scenario the Irish government consistently said was impossible.
As the minister attempted to speak to a television news crew he was surrounded by Coir activists who screamed at him and sang: "No, no, there's no no, there's no Lisbon" to the tune of 2Unlimited's No limits.
When Burton attempted to intervene and point out that the minister had a right to speak she was spat at.

wisconsin-hick.gif

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jun/13/ireland

The bitter divisions caused by the treaty were visible at the count during ugly scenes involving Ireland's finance minister, Brian Lenihan, and members of Coir, a radical anti-abortion campaign group. Coir opposed the treaty on the grounds that European law could supplant Irish legal bans on abortion – a scenario the Irish government consistently said was impossible.
As the minister attempted to speak to a television news crew he was surrounded by Coir activists who screamed at him and sang: "No, no, there's no no, there's no Lisbon" to the tune of 2Unlimited's No limits.
When Burton attempted to intervene and point out that the minister had a right to speak she was spat at.

good christ. way to go, the irish public.

i'd have been a bit more impressed if they'd gone with "they wanted me to vote for lisbon, but i said 'no, no, no'"

but the spitting - not on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back