LIONEL MESSI (1 Viewer)

I think this measured take on the encounter from the Guardian's resident Tom Humphries, Richard Williams, sums up what Ronaldo is all about.

I think it's bang on the money. Ronaldo definitely sees football as a form of theatre, it's all laid out in his treatise "Football: Neo-Realist Drama or Musique Concréte? Which Is the Best Analogy with the Liberal Arts?"
he sees it a stage where he's the main player. i mean, football is theater, most players are performing. the need to perform is what drives them.

he sees it a stage where he's the main player. i mean, football is theater, most players are performing. the need to perform is what drives them.

yeh, sorta what he said. they are performing but their job as professionals is to win, not to maximise camera time to stroke their ego - not that this is what ronaldo is necessarily about, but you certainly can get a sense of that from him. he's an amazing football player but so many peopel have reservations about him because he's such a cunt.

i never tire of this:
ronaldo-crying.jpg

Portugal to win the Euros?

That Marquez yoke was never a penalty by the way, he was in front of ronaldo and put his arm across him, no contact below the waist to atually make him go to ground and no jersey pulling, just typical Ronaldo (though probably also typical Gerrard!)

the abidal one was far more suspect. he did get the ball with his heel but also clattered him, it was a shockingly stupid challenge that he was lucky to get away with.

edit: Barca are blessed that Marques is banned for the seoncd leg he's absolutely useless at the moment.

Barcelona were also very poo last night, for all their passing it was a vision of Arsenal last year when they were inneffective and scared of corssing instead of loking for another pass. every little triangle Barca made was a safely-safely pass that took very little risk because they were scared of United on the break if they lost the ball. They never got down the sides of the box and looked to pull back, every time Zambrotta or Abidal had a bit space out wide, they laboured to get it to them taking three passes when one good one (that their midfield is clearly capable of) would do. And when the fullbacks got it, they cut inside again. Liverpool vs Chelsea was far more invigorating.

United were too scared to even break as it turns out. Strange game, only Messi and Henry seemed to have the urge to actually beat them and they had less than 90 mins between them.

I thought United would stroll the tie by scoring at least once away from home by playing the same all guns blazing stuff they play in the Prem but instead Fergie put on his "I can be tactical too y'know" cap and put Rooney on the right wing.

I hope Barca score in Old Trafford, though I'd have to laugh if it all ended 0-0 and United went out on pens after all the salivating rubbish in the media.

That Marquez yoke was never a penalty by the way, he was in front of ronaldo and put his arm across him, no contact below the waist to atually make him go to ground and no jersey pulling, just typical Ronaldo (though probably also typical Gerrard!)

the abidal one was far more suspect. he did get the ball with his heel but also clattered him, it was a shockingly stupid challenge that he was lucky to get away with.
gerrard would have stopped, turned to the ref, and flailed his arms about. it would have worked too.

gerrard would have stopped, turned to the ref, and flailed his arms about. it would have worked too.

Probably cos he's built up some credibility by not being a complete wankbag all his career.

Either way, I think if a defender puts his legs across you (without getting the ball at all) or pulls the jersey - you're entitled to go down. Its almost like the way in cricket you have to appeal for a LBW. Its just the way it is.

despite what dunphy would have you believe - that scholes was top class last night - i thought he didnt have the legs. yaya toure walked past him and carrick all night and yaya is the least skillful of barca's midfield surely.

messi is a joy to watch. cant wait til he moves to liverpool this summer...
I watched the match on Sky Sports for the High Definition so missed the "panel"

You read some shite online but this one really takes the biscuit!

"BARCELONA, Spain (AFP) - It didn't quite turn into the mesmerising display of skills between Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi that everyone had anticipated but pundits gave the verdict to the United player.
It was an impressive performance from him," commented Portugal coach Luis Felipe Scolari, who was at the game checking on Ronaldo's progress ahead of the forthcoming Euro 2008 finals.

Nevertheless, Ronaldo was the one player among United's illustrious strike force, which included an unfit Wayne Rooney and a lacklustre Carlos Tevez, who lived up to his reputation."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080423/sp_soccer_afp/fbleurc1espengporargbarcelonamanutdmessi

Someone pointed out earlier, why Ronaldo and Messi aren't as good as Maradona.

Basically, you watch Maradona play - He gets the ball, skins some players, and scores. There's actually fuck all trickery to it, he was just a genius with the ball at his feet, he'd just go on amazing dribbles and beat everybody that went near him. That's a big game performer. Best was a legend for the same reason, he knew when he could get away with tricks, and when he just had to go for the fucking goal and stick the ball in the net.

Ronaldo - He gets the ball, maybe beats a man, but always has to try and play some shit trick which often fucks up. So he's scored 38 goals this season, so fuck, most of them have been tap ins and penalties that I couldn't have missed. It's because of all this trickery shite, that he goes completely missing in big matches. It's the sign of a poor and in some ways childish mentality. Would Maradona have missed that penalty against Barcelona? Would he fuck.

Messi - Still unproven I think. He's more like Maradona, tends to drive more directly with less of the bullshit, but I think he has a tendancy to pass sometimes when he could just take a man on. I'd like to see him beat players more often, because he's shown he can definitely do it. I reckon over the next few years he'll prove himself a better player than Ronaldo. Actually I don't think Ronaldo will come close to matching the season he is currently having.

So he's scored 38 goals this season, so fuck, most of them have been tap ins and penalties that I couldn't have missed.

ah now....youre pushing it a bit there :)

regardless of him being a cunt and all, 38 goals is a superb achievement.

how many has ronnie set up this year, out of interest?
if real buy him... united will do okay. it'll make rooney tha main man. he's a better player.

Yeah, but seriously, theres a good lot of them have been balls squared across for him to tap into an empty net, or penalties.

i really dont see how that matters, he has scored 38 goal this season and won a truck load of points for manu

how many has ronnie set up this year, out of interest?
if real buy him... united will do okay. it'll make rooney tha main man. he's a better player.

only 7 assists this year, pretty poor for a winger but then 38 goals is amazing for a winger

Rooney is a way more naturally talented football, but he doesnt score enough goals to be played as a striker. the fact that he is so talented is actually a flaw as he can and does play anywhere. I would love to see rooney playing in scholes position instead of the left

i really dont see how that matters, he has scored 38 goal this season and won a truck load of points for manu

only 7 assists this year, pretty poor for a winger but then 38 goals is amazing for a winger

Rooney is a way more naturally talented football, but he doesnt score enough goals to be played as a striker. the fact that he is so talented is actually a flaw as he can and does play anywhere. I would love to see rooney playing in scholes position instead of the left
rooney off a big man is the key. mind you fergie has ditched 442. i blame queeroz. united don't actually have a striker-striker, but then, if ronaldo is scoring for fun, do they need one? pat dolan is always banging on about luca toni. he has a point. maybe not toni, per se, by a player of his ilk. of course, he's too set in his way to change (again) so i think we'll continue to see rooney drift all over the place. and thus his finishing won't improve.

rooney off a big man is the key. mind you fergie has ditched 442. i blame queeroz. united don't actually have a striker-striker, but then, if ronaldo is scoring for fun, do they need one? pat dolan is always banging on about luca toni. he has a point. maybe not toni, per se, by a player of his ilk. of course, he's too set in his way to change (again) so i think we'll continue to see rooney drift all over the place. and thus his finishing won't improve.

still tho...cant wait to see rooney playing for liverpool next season :p

I wouldn't say he's more naturally talented. Far better on the honesty of effort front though.

or huntelaar!

I wouldn't say he's more naturally talented. Far better on the honesty of effort front though.

thanks gilesy

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back