let's yak about the choonz (1 Viewer)

Burgerbarbaby said:
I like this cd a lot, been listening to it for a couple of months now. However, the best tune on it is by Tsabropoulos, and it seems that Gurdjieff's collaborator did most of the work composing the pieces credited to Gurdjieff. Gurdjieff would hum a melody to Hartmann and Hartmann would put harmonies etc to it. The melodies seem to be from old Armenian folk tunes. Sparse arrangements, but rich and beautifully produced sounds, the typical careful ECM production, in a nice way. Such a surprise to hear they're coming to Dublin! I'm sure it will be brilliant. Louis Sclavis...he the free jazz dude? This could be an amazing gig!

louis sclavis and co were flippin amazing at this!! sounded like it was heavily improvised a lot of the time but then theyd all start playing really tight mental stuff so i guess they had it all worked out. really inventive and fun to listen to and watch. and the guy on flugelhorn, pocket trumpet, electronic percussion and synth and vocals was mental. i couldnt stop laughing at him playing air guitar during all the mad bits. he stole the show, lovely flugelhorn playing! i'd like to go see them again except pay more attention to the music and less to his loopiness...

the first two, piano and cello thing, was mostly awful, thought it was never going to end. they kept standing up to take a bow after every piece so i kept thinking it was over even after the 5th or 6th time but eventually they did stop.

i fell asleep during a william basinski "gig" last year. in fairness it was probably more of a "performance". it involved him standing on stage next to his tape machines while the loops played away. it was kinda nice while i was snoozing as it kinda worked its way into whatever i was dreaming about but it was useless for being awake to.

Miss Piggy said:
i fell asleep during a william basinski "gig" last year. in fairness it was probably more of a "performance". it involved him standing on stage next to his tape machines while the loops played away. it was kinda nice while i was snoozing as it kinda worked its way into whatever i was dreaming about but it was useless for being awake to.

was that the instal gig in glasgow? the concept of disintegrating tape loops is nice, and they have a very pretty quality, but its just not engaging in anyway. i would imagine a live performance of it would be at best soporific, and at worst tedious.

Brian Conniffe said:
was that the instal gig in glasgow? the concept of disintegrating tape loops is nice, and they have a very pretty quality, but its just not engaging in anyway. i would imagine a live performance of it would be at best soporific, and at worst tedious.

glasgow yes, and exactly as you imagine.

current listening: dälek - 'ever somber' (track 9 on absence - ipecac 2005).

i hadn't listened to absence since dälek's gig here earlier on this year, but i stuck it on again earlier on today, and i've listened to this one track about five times in a row since. genius stuff; arabic-my-bloody-valentine-noise-hiphop. you can hear it on their myspace page - http://www.myspace.com/dalek. best experienced at ear-bleeding volume...

yeah whatever
all of that lame shit has nuttin on this dude
puff%20daddy.jpg

-xiu xiu /devendra banhart split
cover a song by each other. devendra does support the troops. strange choice, but does a great job. much better than the original. havn't heard much devendra so don't know the track that xiu xiu does. ends up sounding like his own track anyway. decen enought, but very short.

-numbers 'solid pleasure/no afterlife'
i started off playing solid pleasure on 45. it sounded great. a bit like deerhoof. anyway it's meant to be 33. slow tempo. a bit like prison life. not the greatest at first listen. no afterlife is a lot punkier. good shout along track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back