let's yak about the choonz (1 Viewer)

taubstumm

Supporter
Website
kvt.red
yeah!

v/a - 'minus 27 and counting - a 22-track unlabel compilation' (unlabel)

eight quid in road, ya can't go wrong. 22 bands i've never heard of. some cool stuff. and some dross. lots of jaggedy misanthropic-sounding prolapse-style head-nod-almost-mosh material for some reason. which is great, cos i dig that shizzle. good stuff from joeyfat, kill yourself, ship's a-going down, matra, rebus (even if the singer has a cold), 30 day hex ('post'-'rock' but good), cove, the ship of the sun (wimpy folk), ahhh loads of people.

wilco - 'yankee hotel foxtrot' (nonesuch, i think)

i dug this out after spending 2 solid weeks listening to 'a ghost is born'. wilco = dadrock for losers, right? well, i thought so, but i'm really liking this. i could start going on about it but most of you already know what it sounds like. i really love 'i am trying to break your heart' (the song, not the movie) with the nice lyrical turns of phrase - "let's undress like cross-eyed strangers" and the like. now i just need to get jim o'rourke in to add interesting soundscapes to my post-country beatles-influenced moany semi-acoustic band.

stoat - 'future come and get me' (no label, not even a made-up-for-one-release one)

well, i may as well admit straight off that i bought this out of friendly loyalty and all that, but it's actually been getting a lot of play... i really like the way that it's pretty much unique; stoat are instantly recognisable. stoat and boxes are the only two irish 'indie' bands i can think of who are willing to sing in their own accents, which is a lot more honest and, well, unselfconcious than most people doing anything remotely familiar. and the songs are really properly good; they may mostly follow the verse-chorus-verse way of doing things but it's obvious that they've been worked and worked and worked, so no surprise that the album took half a lifetime to put together or something. cool.

autechre & the hafler trio - aeo3 & 3hae (die stadt)

crazily fancy packaging - constellation eat your heart out! the music is mostly processed found sound and the like. i haven't properly listened to it - anyone else get it yet? some of it is like listening to fridges humming and all, but this stuff reveals itself over time; i'll get back to you on it...

sooooooooooooo... what y'all been listening to?

Four Tet/Madvillany remixes - Loads better than I thought it would be.

Melvins - Gluey Porch Treatments - amazing

The Juan Maclean - Less Than Human - Nice electro stuff

808 State - ex:el - This was robbed on me years ago and I've just replaced it, ravetastic.

The Rakes - Capture/Release - NME/MTV band lame blah blah blah I don't care I like the album a lot.

Things not listening too: Githead - Profile - BOOOOOORING.

The Dillards - Back Porch Bluegrass Live Almost, yeehar!

Rachel's - Selenography,
mmm soothing

Jamie Lidell - Multiply,
still cant stop listening to this.

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea,
i'm a little hot and cold on these trashy guys.

The national - alligator.
love this cassette, really good songwriting

Paolo Conte - Tournee.
italian gainsbourg character. some great smoky ballads .

Bearsuit - Team Ping Pong (CD). Promo of second album due end October. Poptastic and an improvement on Cat Spectacular.

Shirley Collins - Within Sound (4xCD). Amazing box set from one of England's finest folk singers. Covers her whole career.

The Auteurs - Luke Haines Is Dead. Indispensible triple CD compilation.

Go Kart Mozart - Tearing Up The Album Chart (CD). Hilarious in parts, deadly deadpan in others. Another winner from Lawrence.

AFX - Analord 09, 10, 11 (12"s) - Quality control on these releases has been pretty high given the amount of tracks and worries that it could be Drukqs II.

Ladytron - Sugar (7") - spectacular glider monster of a song.

Bill Fay - Bill Fay / Time Of The Last Persecution (Both CD) - Reissue of this dudes two albums from the early 70s. Pastoral, Drakey, Gene Clarkey stuff.

Jimmy Webb - Archive + Live (2xCD) - After the fiasco that was the impossible to get Rhino Handmade box (The Moon's A Harsh Mistress) comes the Albert Hall live disc from that set plus a comp of his 70s selection.

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk. (2xLP) - this rarely leaves my turntable. Fucked up shit.

Bola - Shapes (3x12") - burned it to CDR for someone before my Philips burner burned out. Rediscovery. Selling for stupid money at the moment.

nlgbbbblth said:
Go Kart Mozart - Tearing Up The Album Chart (CD). Hilarious in parts, deadly deadpan in others. Another winner from Lawrence.
Damn I meant to mention this one, listening to it on the Drive back from EP, nuts but brilliant record.

nlgbbbblth said:
deadliest songs

- Listening To Marmalade
- Delta Echo Echo Beta Alpha Neon Kettle
Those ones rule, but I'll add;

- Summer Is Here
- Fuzzy Duck
- Electric Rock n Roll

circle - tulikoira
4 tracks, their kraut-heavy-psych-stoner is now heavier than ever. the first track is actually quite fast warrior-metal kinda thing. great album, but is that lone stoner riff on the last track stolen from somewhere?

syd barrett - madcap laughs
going strong all the time, best record ever

butthole surfers - blind eye sees it all
if you've seen it, you know why

beetleonitsback said:
autechre & the hafler trio - aeo3 & 3hae (die stadt)

crazily fancy packaging - constellation eat your heart out! the music is mostly processed found sound and the like. i haven't properly listened to it - anyone else get it yet? some of it is like listening to fridges humming and all, but this stuff reveals itself over time; i'll get back to you on it...

sooooooooooooo... what y'all been listening to?

Yeah that record's pretty sweet alright!! CD2 really stood out. Haven't listened to it too much yet though, need to give it a another whirl soon enough.

Also floating my boat recently have been...

Fantomas - Delerium Cordia: I just keep coming back to this record and every time i listen to it, a new part blows me away. How people dismissed this album, I don't know. Sure, it's less rockin than the others but it's still a fucking amazing piece of work!!!

Sufjan Stevens - Illinois: Just a beautiful record. The more I listen to it, the more I love it. The arrangements are just amazing! The track about John Wayne Gacy has to be one of the most beutiful songs ever written.

Arcade Fire - Funeral: Really didn't like this album at first. The singer's voice kinda annoyed me. Still, I kinda liked what they were doing in terms of arrangement and production so I stuck with it and I'm glad I did. This is probably the best record I've heard this year, hands down.

Ulver - Teachings In Silence: Kinda reminds me of Delerium Cordia in a way. Some seriously fucked up sounds melt into beautiful musical ideas. Moody as fuck too. Beautiful.

Wolf Eyes - Asylum Style 1 + 2: Fucked up tape manipulations and noisy electronics. Sweet.

Pink Floyd - Saucerful of Secrets: Hippy Floyd mixed with Jammy Floyd equals Happy Chutney

Neutral Milk Hotel - "...Aeroplane..." - lovely

System of a Down - the new one - some very awesome songs, and the sound is amazing

Neil Young - "Tonight's the Night" - rough and tumble brilliance

Malkmus/Jicks - "Pig Lib" - i'm in love with this album, have been since day one

Lord Damian said:
Neutral Milk Hotel - "...Aeroplane..." - lovely

System of a Down - the new one - some very awesome songs, and the sound is amazing

Neil Young - "Tonight's the Night" - rough and tumble brilliance

Malkmus/Jicks - "Pig Lib" - i'm in love with this album, have been since day one

tonights the night is a work of pure genius.

whats this thread about? what were listening to at the minute?

Lefty Frizzell said:
always loved this album. great raw and volatile sound to it.
yeah. tequila and burger fuelled mayhem. i'm guessing there were substances burnt and inhaled as well. listening to Neil's voice crack gives me the shivers.

Lord Damian said:
yeah. tequila and burger fuelled mayhem. i'm guessing there were substances burnt and inhaled as well. listening to Neil's voice crack gives me the shivers.

yeah he was partyin hard durin tonights the night. the way his head is sometimes movin in and away from the mike leads me to think he was gettin really carried away. the legend.

Getting repeat plays in my house-
Stooges-funhouse 2xlp reissue.
life should be lived by the following rule"any Stooges is good Stooges" I'm waiting impatiently for the other reissue and the 7"s. I wish I had a cd player(can't believe I said that)when the funhouse boxset came out.
Melvins/Lustmord- pigs of roman the empire 2xlp.
Had this on cd since it came out,but surprise surprise the vinyl is even better. The above rule for the Stooges should be applied for Melvins
V/A Hardcore Holland Tapes-a six lp set of old hardcore from holland. All originally released as tape comps in the early '80's. My favourite style of music,early hardcore,never ceases to amaze me fast, pissed off and raw.
Been playing a lot of current hardcore as well,Career Suicide,Look Back And Laugh,Direct Control,Annihilation Time,Walk the Plank,Out Cold,Strung Up, and Fucked Up have all been making a route for the turntable.

De La Soul - 3 Feet High And Rising: classic debut. their set at EP made me dig this out and it fucking rules

The Process - End Times: got this free about 5 years ago. Dirty, fast rock n roll/punk played by complete rednecks from the south. sample song titles: I Fucked Your Sister, Guns R Better Than Girls, PMS

The Lack - Blues Moderne: Danois Explosifs: The new album is muck, but this record is an absolute classic. Some of the best lyrics i've ever heard.

Labradford - Mi Media Naradja: one of my all time favourites, i'll never get bored of this album

Coalesce - Revolution In Just Listening: Bluesy guitar riffs, fucked up time signatures and pure metal vocals. fucking great band

ooioo - Feather Float: members of boredoms, so you know it's good

Xinlisupreme - Tomorrow Never Comes: hypnotic shit

beetleonitsback said:
stoat - 'future come and get me' (no label, not even a made-up-for-one-release one)

well, i may as well admit straight off that i bought this out of friendly loyalty and all that, but it's actually been getting a lot of play... i really like the way that it's pretty much unique; stoat are instantly recognisable. stoat and boxes are the only two irish 'indie' bands i can think of who are willing to sing in their own accents, which is a lot more honest and, well, unselfconcious than most people doing anything remotely familiar. and the songs are really properly good; they may mostly follow the verse-chorus-verse way of doing things but it's obvious that they've been worked and worked and worked, so no surprise that the album took half a lifetime to put together or something. cool.

i bought this the day before yesterday, have only had a chance to listen to the first two songs properly. lyrics about bombing the central bank are hilarious. and dunnes stores 2 euro ties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back