Leaving Cert Nostalgia (1 Viewer)

i did that in '91 after 5th year, trying to save spending money for a trip to the u.s.

got paid £6.04 per day for the grand total of 5 days (i drew the short straw in terms of allocation of days)
still the most boring thing I've ever done. The only interesting part was when I spilt coffee on the examiner. I'd have felt bad about it only he wasn't a terribly nice man.

my leaving cert world cup memory is watching heavy news coverage of roy keane walking his dog during study breaks (my study breaks, not roy's or the dog's)

pleased to report my leaving cert nightmares have gotten much rarer now, 12 years later

i think the last one was about a year ago, having a maths exam in an hour but not realising i was meant to be have done maths as a subject and not able to even find a copy of the textbook

They're not at common now, maybe one every other year but I used to have an annual one around May every year after I finished college where I'd wake up in a giant panic because I hadn't started studying yet.

my leaving cert world cup memory is watching heavy news coverage of roy keane walking his dog during study breaks (my study breaks, not roy's or the dog's)

Was it the English exam that was during the Germany - Ireland game?

Before we went in, Germany had went 1 up, then in the middle of the exam there was a massive roar. Everyone doing the exam just stopped and looked around, the examiner says "okay i'll find out what happened". Comes back to say Ireland equalized in the last minute with a Robbie Keane goal

pleased to report my leaving cert nightmares have gotten much rarer now, 12 years later

i think the last one was about a year ago, having a maths exam in an hour but not realising i was meant to be have done maths as a subject and not able to even find a copy of the textbook

I STILL have those dreams regularly.
In 3 years time, I will have done my Leaving Cert 30 years ago!!!
JAYSUS!!:cry::cry::cry:

I did two subjects which clashed in the timetable (music and engineering, I think) and had to stay in after everybody else on the evening of the last day of exams to do my written engineering test, including having a one-on-one dinner with the examiner to make sure I didn't sneak out and get in touch with anybody who'd already done the paper.. Finally got out of there around 8pm, one of the longest days of my life.

Am I the only one here that did the "Inter Cert"?
No... I did the group cert, inter cert and leaving cert... I have zero nostalgia for any of this... finished my technical drawing exam on 24th June 1989 aged 16 on a stinking hot day ( just like outside right now ) and ran from the place... very many of those people I've never seen again... and ... well... good...

I did the Inter too

You're not nostalgic for your leaving cert, you're nostalgic for your youth. Best cure for that is going to the trouble of remembering what it was really like - school, rejection from girls, rows with your parents, appalling McJobs, etc

Yeah, fuck school. Does anyone at all look back on them as the happiest days of their lives or is that officially a lie that parents and teachers tell kids to subdue them? I don't have kids so I'm not party to these secrets.

You're not nostalgic for your leaving cert, you're nostalgic for your youth. Best cure for that is going to the trouble of remembering what it was really like - school, rejection from girls, rows with your parents, appalling McJobs, etc
... still feel youthful and even juvenile but I'm definitely not nostalgic for my youth... it was awful...

Also did the matric in 1992 after my first leaving. Made a bollox of it
I did the matric too, and did worse in every single subject. The girls schools did the exam in the same hall as us, I think that was my downfall

My kids' school is a zillion times nicer than any school I ever attended, and they seem pretty happy there - especially the older one, who has a lovely little group of friends and adores her teacher. Still it'd be kind of a shame if their schooldays were the happiest days of their lives wouldn't it? Quoting @snakybus it wouldn't leave much to look forward to

Travis' Driftwood, Sunscreen Song, Britney and Eminem.

Between studying getting hardcore into drinking. We used to go to Fibber's on a school night semi-regularly.

I dropped down to pass and did the Maths papers in 35 minutes each. Lads in the exam hall thought I'd had a breakdown. I got an A1 or A2.

Someone I knew used to call Foundation level "Mongo Maths". :whistle:

My art teacher hung my practice painting on the wall of the art room for the Art exam. It was vaguely kinda sorta cheating I suppose.

Hand ache like nobody's business.

One lad missed the Leaving Cert after wearing the face off a friend of ours and winding up with meningitis or something like that.

My dad said a Christian brother in his school used to refer to pass Irish as "Protestant Irish".

The Irish and French tapes being almost incomprehensible because the tape deck was resonating with the shitty desk. I got the examiner to put a coat between the two and it helped the sound a bit.

When the results came out one of the lads bawling crying and being comforted by our principal. It was cronge.

Later that summer I got a job in the shittest record shop in the world. At least I can say I worked in a record shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back