Leaving Cert '06 (1 Viewer)

ICUH8N said:
classics, latin, music, applied maths are niche subjects; you end up with very small class sizes (if any classes) and students who are unusually motivated/talented, and the results are usually disproportionately good compared to the norm, I think.
When I did the Leaving music was about the hardest subject to get an A in, and something like 50% of people who sat the honours paper got a C.

I could be wrong about this, but I've heard that Leaving cert marks are adjusted to fit pre-decided proportions of grades. If that is the case you're basically competing for grades with everyone else who's sitting the exam, so if you want to do well you should choose subjects that attract dullards

One thing I regret about Leaving Cert is not going down to pass maths. i did alright in the end but it caused me so much stress, I didn't have a clue what I was up to half the time, went to Bruce to get a grind and he was able to beat it into my head a bit but I wasted so much time on it, I would have been better off dropping down. I still have flashbacks of those crazy triangles in the (c) parts of the questions............ fecking horrible

My brother called the Irish Oral Examiner an "IRA Bitch" during his leaving.

not sure what grade he got but more respect than an A+ YO.

snakybus said:
did you really get 4 As in the leaving egg? In honours subjects?

check out the brain on yer man

I got 8 A's - all Honours subjects.
English, Maths, Irish, Physics, Applied Maths, Home Economics, Business Organisation, History, Geography, Biology, Accountancy, Chemistry, French, Spanish, German, Latin, Greek, Art, Mechanical Drawing, em, Woodwork and so on and so forth.

Keith Talent said:
I got 8 A's - all Honours subjects.
English, Maths, Irish, Physics, Applied Maths, Home Economics, Business Organisation, History, Geography, Biology, Accountancy, Chemistry, French, Spanish, German, Latin, Greek, Art, Mechanical Drawing, em, Woodwork and so on and so forth.

thats pretty good in fairness.

i majored in english.

Lefty Frizzell said:
thats pretty good in fairness.

i majored in english.

I don't want to brag, but I also had cancer of the anus at the time. I had to stand for the whole year.
And i won the Señor Cup that year. And raised £2,450 for Concern.

And I looked like Jason Priestly

Only 7 days left until it starts for me. I'm frankly shitting it right now. I've stayed at home "to study" and just can't put my head down and do it. I've been going to study from 4-10pm every night since christmas and I still know nothing. Its fucking annoying now!! AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Gambra said:
Only 7 days left until it starts for me. I'm frankly shitting it right now. I've stayed at home "to study" and just can't put my head down and do it. I've been going to study from 4-10pm every night since christmas and I still know nothing. Its fucking annoying now!! AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

listen dude, you'll be fine. EVERYONE goes through that 'i dont know anything' phase. just keep reading through past papers and don't overload yourself. get good sleep the next few days - you'll get through it, good luck!

I spent the whole weekend writing up notes for easy revision over the next few days, I came home yesterday to find everything had been binned along with the Sunday papers. I could have cried!

La La said:
listen dude, you'll be fine. EVERYONE goes through that 'i dont know anything' phase. just keep reading through past papers and don't overload yourself. get good sleep the next few days - you'll get through it, good luck!

Thanks for that!! :heart: :heart: I need someone to come slap me upside the head right about now to get my arse in gear and off thumped :)

Gambra said:
Thanks for that!! :heart: :heart: I need someone to come slap me upside the head right about now to get my arse in gear and off thumped :)

no worries. yes, it's a river of shit, but you'll come out clean the other side. just like Andy Dufresne in the Shawshank Redemption.
hell yeah. now go study. GO!

La La said:
no worries. yes, it's a river of shit, but you'll come out clean the other side. just like Andy Dufresne in the Shawshank Redemption.
hell yeah. now go study. GO!

Or I'll end up like leslie nielsen in Naked Gun.. "I've been swimming in raw sewage.. And I liked it.." Ok, enough internet shenanigans.. to study..

Good luck man! You'll be grand really.

I have the second half of my AS levels next week. Not so much shitting it about the exams more just looking forward to them being over cause I am so fuckin sick of studying right now.

I remember when I was doing the Leaving, I was nervous before the first exam. Then the next one wasn't such a big deal....few days later everyone was so into the swing of it we were sauntering in and sauntering out. Not that we had brains, just purely because it all became routine.

So for Gambra et al, I bet it'll be the same. So try to just keep a cool head, get on with it, and whatever you do, don't let hysterical wound-up friends get you wound-up. If your friends are like that, don't go near them before any exam or else they'll disease you up with their gimpishness. Just do your own thing.

It's easy to be wise in hindsight, but honest to God, once you get even to my age, you realise that what you get in the Leaving really doesn't have to make a massive impact on what you do with your life. If you get great points, and get into the dream course you've always wanted, then cool. If you do shite for some reason, then just try a different route. Just give it your best shot, make an effort, and don't let it take over your life.

OK, night before English I & II now.. Nerves have fully set in.. I should be ok really.. Hoping no screwy poets come up & they stick to their usual formula of a female poet (bishop or Plath) & a living Irish poet (longley) I might fall down in my Lear question though..

I'll prob only post at brief snippits on the weekends for now til they finish.. I'll keep ye posted to how I'm doing.. This is it guys :):)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back