Leaving Cert '06 (3 Viewers)

Ciaran Mackle said:
Who really enjoys working though?

In theory dude, in theory. maybe the Lcert should teach us all how to be hard rockin' rock 'n' rollers. Then we'd all have fulfilling careers.

Jack Black for Education Minister!!!

Mocks are generally harder.

I remember failing Maths and Physics in my Leaving Cert mocks and being advised to switch to Pass in both.

Got a D in both in the real thing without doing much more study.

Some guy in the year before 'apparently' sat Hons Maths Paper I and Pass Maths Paper II. Got two results - both D !!!

most people who aim to do exceedingly well drop down to pass english, Irish, french (i.e. all the ones it's extremely unlikely you'll get an A in) and take up like applied maths and an extra science, all subjects that consist of either getting an answer wrong or getting in right and much much easier to do well in.

The said:
most people who aim to do exceedingly well drop down to pass english, Irish, french (i.e. all the ones it's extremely unlikely you'll get an A in) and take up like applied maths and an extra science, all subjects that consist of either getting an answer wrong or getting in right and much much easier to do well in.

English isn't that hard to get an A in once you write a decent essay.

The drama / poetry / novel questions [used be 60 marks each in my day] are just looking for 3 or 4 key points [usually worth 15 or 20 marks each]. Cover them accurately and you're sorted.

Also: don't put all your eggs in the Irish poet basket. Thomas Hardy question was dead straightforward when I did the exam but the Irish poetry (think it was Clarke) was tricky. And avoid the general one as it's seen as a refuge for D students and bullshitters.

you see thats my point with english it's all guessing about what poet etc will come up and the chances of you writing a good essay on the day are slim, and these correctors have their own ideas about what constitutes a good essay anyway. Not the same problems when you're writing about the rivers in France and Spain and the sex life of an earthworm

i sat my leaving cert 4 years ago:

my english teacher was always advising me to drop down to ordinary level.

the day of the results, me and a group of friends were standing around after getting our results. she asked how we did in english and as i got a c1, i said i got a c1. she was shocked. i also got a D in the junior cert at honours level so that's what raised the shockness of it all

also in the mocks, i know my maths class (honours). the 10 people in it, 5 opassed the mocks and 5 failed. highest score was 50% but we all passe dthe leaving cert with honours.

same with the accounting, the 3 people in my accounting class int eh mcoks, our total score was 100% (though two people passed, me with 47%) and inn the leaving cert the 2 who passed the mocks both got B's

my point is if i had one to begin with is that the mocks aren't important, they don't decide how you do in the leaving cert

and also after going through a 3 year degree course, the leaving cert is nothing. i look back now and wonder why the fuck was i so panicked about and worried

but those are the benefits of hindsight

i got an a in my history mocks and my teacher told me not to expect to be marked so easily in the real thing..she was right..

but nonetheless i think the mocks are more to get the seriousness of the whole affair into yr head rather than to use yr results against ya to take certain levels...if i hadnt of done that 5 essays in 3 hours history mock i would have fuckin passed out in the real thing with sheer fright..

i recently had to do an interview as gaelige and it was the fuckin hardest thing ive ever done..havent spoken irish since school which was 7 years ago so someone askin me did i have any funny stories to tell them about kids that ive taught scared the bejeepers out of me...but in school we never really talked in irish in irish class..only in the few weeks preceeding the orals..pricks..

Ciaran Mackle said:
Who really enjoys working though?

call me a nerd, it dont matter - i love my job, and despite the pressure and deadlines and obvious stress, i couldnt see myself doing anything else, and it doesnt bother me that i'll probably be a journo til im old and grey (and washed up).
im sure ill have my down days but in general, i get alot of job satisfaction and its given me some amazing opportunities, and will continue to do so.

you have to do this job for the love not the money, cos god knows there's none of that flyin round the place.

The said:
applied maths and an extra science, all subjects that consist of either getting an answer wrong or getting in right and much much easier to do well in
I'd be surprised if you were right there dude. I'd bet the percentages of people getting As is pretty similar across all subjects

but in fairness I think to get an A in something like biology or geography is a lot more doable. Well, when I did the ol' leaving, thats what a lot of people in my school did. They did end up doing around 9 or 10 subjects mind but it paid off for them. eh, my school was kind of nerdy in case you hadn't noticed.

egg_ said:
I'd be surprised if you were right there dude. I'd bet the percentages of people getting As is pretty similar across all subjects

classics, latin, music, applied maths are niche subjects; you end up with very small class sizes (if any classes) and students who are unusually motivated/talented, and the results are usually disproportionately good compared to the norm, I think.

ICUH8N said:
classics, latin, music, applied maths are niche subjects; you end up with very small class sizes (if any classes) and students who are unusually motivated/talented, and the results are usually disproportionately good compared to the norm, I think.

My cousin Neil got an F in honours Latin in the Leaving. This barred him from going to any NUI college as he didn't have any other language despite getting 27 points (this was when the max was 32). He had to go college in Scotland to do the course he wanted.

sounds like your cousin Neil might have planned that one . Did he show a intense love for Scotland at any stage prior to sitting the Leaving Cert?

The said:
sounds like your cousin Neil might have planned that one . Did he show a intense love for Scotland at any stage prior to sitting the Leaving Cert?

Not as far as I know. Although it was 1987 and distant shores looked more attractive then.

I do remember that he developed a passion for lying under sunbeds that year though. Had a great tan.

distant shores.....attractive.....suntans.....Scotland. I'm guessing he didn't do geography for the LC

i heard that the leaving cert is getting easier and easier to compensate for the fact that more and more stupid people have been having stupid children

is this true?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back