Ladyfest Dublin Schedule of Events! (1 Viewer)

ladyfest

At long last, thanks to everyone for their patience!

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:

FRIDAY 12th November:

1:00-3:00pm --- Films (Titles TBC, to be shown in The Hub)

7:00-late Jessie and Layla
Medea
Rebecca Collins
Pram
Plus one more TBC

SATURDAY 13th November:

11:00-12:30 – Films (in The Hub)

11::00-4:30pm Ladies-only café (including knitting circle, sexual
health, to be held in the Hub Breakfast Room)

12:30-5:00pm Workshops and talks in The Hub and The Mezz (including
bookbinding, growing herbs, ecology in the city, 'Forgotten Radical
Ladies', talk by the Alliance for Choice, gender identity,
reflexology, and more)

6:00pm-late Miriam Ingram
El Diablo
Baba Yaga
Katell Keineg
Americhord
Andrea Parker + Mira Calix

SUNDAY 14th November:

11:00-3:00pm Craft and 'Zine fair (in The Hub, free to the public)

12:00-3:00pm Workshops (Comics and Creative writing)

12:30-3:00pm Theatre/Spoken word performance (The Mezz)

4:30-8:00pm Easpa Measa
Le Fraction
Hysteria
Rats of the Shining Path
(All-ages gig in The Hub)

There will also be art exhibitions and talks happening in more venues around the city centre - more info on that will be available soon.

spiritualtramp said:
I'll take that as a "no" then.
Actually, I'm not sure any of the Ladyfesters who post on here know who it is!

I wasn't personally involved with the workshop stuff, but I'm sure it will be someone who is qualified to speak on such things. No one would suggest that a workshop at Ladyfest could ever take the place of talking to a doctor, and it may well be someone who is in the medical profession but I just don't know.

I did see your question, and I asked at a meeting earlier this evening, but I'm still waiting for further info.

lmd64 said:
just noticed the article in the Ticket today, it says at the bottom that Ladyfest will take place from the 12th to the 14th of October. eh...
Oh crap....crap crap crap....

I haven't seen it yet.

Anyway, I'm sure that if people are interested, they'll realise quickly enough that it's almost not October anymore.....right?

LADIES' NIGHT//Features
spacer.gif
miracalix,0.jpg

You may see a lot of the F-word in places like The Ticket - but not when it stands for feminism. As Dublin gets ready for its own Ladyfest, showcasing and celebrating the best of contemporary women's music, Anna Carey talks to some of those involved about levelling the playing field. And, yes, boys can come too. AS every girl who's ever spent much time in a guitar shop knows, the music world is still a boys' club. But this November, women are taking centre stage. Ladyfest Dublin is a totally independent festival of women's music, art, film and D.I.Y. culture that has been organised entirely by ladies - but is open to everyone. And it's just the latest in a series of Ladyfests that have taken place all over the world. The very first one was held four years ago in Olympia, Washington in the US and, since then, over 40 other Ladyfests have taken place everywhere from Leipzig to Hawaii. About a dozen more are scheduled for the next few months alone, including Ladyfest Melbourne and Ladyfest Bible Belt (organised "for everyone who lives in a small southern town and dares to be themselves regardless of the repercussions").

The festivals have no official connection with each other, but they all share a common aim: to celebrate women's creativity, and to inspire and educate other women. Oh, and to put on some great gigs.

The long list of female acts who have graced the stages of Ladyfests world wide includes Le Tigre, Neko Case, the Gossip and Kimya Dawson.

Ladyfest Dublin will feature an equally diverse range of bands, from the magical electro-pop of Pram to the chanson-meets-punk of French band La Fraction. While many acts approached the organisers as soon as they heard a Dublin Ladyfest was being planned, London-based electronica artist Mira Calix had never heard of Ladyfest until she was asked to take part. But she was immediately enthusiastic. "It seemed like a good opportunity to perhaps meet with some interesting women from a variety of fields, as well as supporting others," she says.

The bands are an obvious draw, but there's more to Ladyfest than rocking out. The weekend will also feature art and film shows, as well as workshops on book-making, self-defence, and much more. Those who come for the bands might find themselves inspired in other ways.

"I went to the one in Glasgow because of the bands," says Cheryl Gunning, one of the organisers of the Dublin fest. "Now what appeals to me is the fact that Ladyfest brings women together who have never met one another before, to organise something that showcases and promotes women. It's also a brilliant way to make new friends."

Working with other women is also important to many of the acts taking part. "We do try to collaborate [ with other women] when it's possible," says Layla Collins of Dublin-based duo Jessie and Layla. "It would be great to see more women musicians,such as bass players and drummers, on the sceneas I think they bring a different approach to music."

Jessie and Layla heard about the festival through another Ladyfest performer, singer-songwriter Katell Keineg, who had been thrilled to hear of the Dublin event. "I heard about the earlier Ladyfests in the States a few years ago, and I always thought it would be great if there was a Dublin one," says Keineg. "I'm a feminist, and anything that promotes women's activities is welcome to me."

Ah, yes. The F-word. The success of the cheerfully feminist Ladyfests around the world belies the myth, perpetuated by conservatives and even some older feminists, that young women just aren't interested in feminism any more. While a few of the organisers and artists taking part in the Dublin fest eschew the feminist label, claiming that it has negative connotations, there are many more who happily embrace it. "I hope that the message that Ladyfest sends can contribute to a redefinition of feminism in Ireland as something that has nothing to do with taking anything away from men, or about being antagonistic," says Jane Ruffino, another of the Dublin organisers.

Ladyfest isn't without its critics, however. Initially, the Dublin organisers found themselves facing accusations of sexism against men, something they strongly refute. "I think that's a lazy way to look at Ladyfest," says Kirstie McDermott, who designed the festival's supercute posters, flyers and bags. "That to me assumes someone read the name of the event and no more, and formed a value judgement based on the word 'lady'. It may be organised by women, but we have always explicitly stated that everyone is welcome, be they straight, gay, male or female."

The festival organisers decided to avoid looking for corporate sponsorship, and Ladyfest Dublin's many fundraising events - which included a city-wide scavenger hunt as well as the more obvious gigs and club nights - did a lot to dispel the idea that the festival was exclusionary.

"Our male friends have been hugely supportive throughout," says Jane Ruffino. "There was some wariness in the beginning, but once people started coming to our events and realised that they were fun for everyone, the suspicions dissipated fairly rapidly. People felt welcome. People participated."

But while all are welcome, the festival's focus is still firmly on the ladies. Because as Ruffino says: "It's nice to walk into a space and know that, while you might still feel you have to prove yourself, the fact that you're a woman isn't part of that."

Balls. This looks really good. I hope I can get to some of it at least. Stupid DJing and college keeps me away from stuff. Well done to everyone involved again, I think it's a super idea and I hope it goes really well.

Great article too.

fuck lady fest...fuck it to hell...fuck putting bands up in bewleys hotel and fuck interviews in glossy magazines...fuck rip off prices and fuck you...dylan(i think its his name), a fifteen year old, can do it better and cheaper on his own...put on a festival with workshops and free food etc. that is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back