Jesus H why oh why??? (1 Viewer)

Ha, I was raised baha'i and went to a catholic school as well. I wasn't allowed to opt out of things like mass, RE classes etc. and we had a particularly gruff priest who used to go on and on about the fires of hell. Scared the piss out of me at the age of 6, I tells ya. I don't think I could put my kids through the same thing.

That's just it though..you shouldn't have to, you should have a choice to send your kids to a school where the education is based on the principals/teachings of a particular religion, if that's your preference as you should have the right to send your child to a school where they receive an education not based in any religious belilef or instruction if you choose.

Get me Chris Barry on the phone quiiikkkkkkkkk

That's just it though..you shouldn't have to, you should have a choice to send your kids to a school where the education is based on the principals/teachings of a particular religion, if that's your preference as you should have the right to send your child to a school where they receive an education not based in any religious belilef or instruction if you choose.

Get me Chris Barry on the phone quiiikkkkkkkkk

Unfortunately 90%(at a guess) of the country want their kids to have a religious education. Someday they'll get it sorted.

Have you looked at any of the vec schools?

eh.. i went to a diocesan grammar school where the pastoral care was administered by a creepy priest and they had regular prayers, all the rest of it. but most of the teachers were either aetheists, agnostics, prods, or didn't care anyway.

it's just dogmatic crap to keep the bishops happy and the money rolling in. i used to stay seated during mass and eucharist and didn't go along to retreats. had plenty of angry debates with the RE teachers about the nonsense of it all and still scored well in RE classes. it's hardly brainwashing.

and my parents are catholic so your kid already has an extra layer of protection... if you're that concerned put him into one of those clockwork orange headsets and make him nauseate over the passion of the christ over and over again...
proper horrorshow on the old glazzies, that'll soon cure your young chelloveck.

anyway it's not like they teach maths or physics or english lit in the style of the jesuits. but i can imagine it'd be frustrating.
move up north! send him to methody. methody girls are legend.

Unfortunately 90%(at a guess) of the country want their kids to have a religious education. Someday they'll get it sorted.

Have you looked at any of the vec schools?

The VECs as far as i know are colleges of further education so start after the point of the Junior Cert I think. In other words don't think they do full secondary school education. There's some community schools that are non-denominational...I think there might be one near me but if it's where i'm thinking it's a bit of a dump. I said I'd still consider it if it meant not having to put him into a faith school and was basically called a selfish bitch for putting my 'moral crusade' before his education. Ouch! I suppose it may be a bit of a crusade for me (i'm not far off chaining myself along side the madser in the tent outside the Dáil, except that it ain't woirking for whoever that is..still there after how long?!) but it's extremely important to me and i've managed to get him this far without it.

anyway it's not like they teach maths or physics or english lit in the style of the jesuits. but i can imagine it'd be frustrating.
move up north! send him to methody. methody girls are legend.

I went from a mad casual co-ed, no uniform primary school to a mad strict Catholic school girls nun-run hell hole - we more or less had to stand up and say a fuckin prayer at the start of every class.

Methody girls....they be the ones with the skirts turned up to within an inch of being arrested? ;)

School A;

Conscious of the mission of Jesus: “I have come that they may have life and have it to the full”(John 10:10), we aim to have a school community which is concerned with people as sons and daughters of God.

That's most likely all bullshit Dromed. When you're applying for a teaching you often have to make up some bullshit about how you're a good catholic in order to get the job, but in real life it ain't so.

It's the Irish way innit? Say what people want to hear and do what you feel like.

Aren't there any community/VEC schools around you? You live in Dublin right?

Gawd, another point on my "reasons not to have kids" list.

I'd probably get arrested if I had to go to such lengths to keep my kids out of the clutches of the church.

I think we're all missing the point here

Lavajonation is a bush baby, not a heathen hellbound monkey

come on people!

educate together are talking bout moving into secondary schools.will be a few years away but could be worth giving their head office a shout.

Yeah I went to ringer tech. RE was taught there alright, but by an ornery teacher up to inter cert, then a couple of priests for 5th & 6th year.

The priests had a far more enlightened view on things than the teacher dude. They showed us the killing fields & the color purple in class too.

Good school. I think Con Harvey is running it now - one of the best teachers I ever met.

You could try sending him to an ostensibly Prod school Donna. Where I went had a "Protestant ethos" but there were loads of Catholics there and as a result RE was very soft and more to do with general moral and social issues rather than hardline COI stuff.

That's most likely all bullshit Dromed. When you're applying for a teaching you often have to make up some bullshit about how you're a good catholic in order to get the job, but in real life it ain't so.

It's the Irish way innit? Say what people want to hear and do what you feel like.
quote]

I know what you mean Egg, but i can't do that. It's what has allowed the fuckin country end up like this..just going along with what everyone else does and hope it sorts itself out. But it won't and i'm not going to just abandon what i believe in for the sake of an easy life

who fuckin cares?

eh, I fucking care!

educate together are talking bout moving into secondary schools.will be a few years away but could be worth giving their head office a shout.

Well here's hoping! Going to go and chat to the head fo his school when it opens again in September..maybe she'll have some ideas!

You could try sending him to an ostensibly Prod school Donna. Where I went had a "Protestant ethos" but there were loads of Catholics there and as a result RE was very soft and more to do with general moral and social issues rather than hardline COI stuff.

Yep that seems to be the buzz in NewPark...very surprised it's not fee paying...always thought it was a private school for some reason. What i might save in fees i will make up in spending on transport if he got in there though.

Home schooling......if only!!!

getting suggestions from the principal might be the best idea..she probably gets the same request all the time..i imagine thats why they are moving into secondary..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back