Jesus H why oh why??? (1 Viewer)

Dromed

Website
Visit site
Most of yous here have only wee nippers so probably a bit early yet..but i've had a stupid amount of people telling me i should start getting my wee fella's name down for secondary school. He's nearly 8. So i had a gander at what schools are in my area and looked for their websies and whatnot. Only to see on a good few of them that they recommend putting their names down 'at birth'......fucksake!!!
Anyway...the big gripe i have is that he's in an Educate Together Primary, that he loves and I'm delighted cos it fits with our religious beliefs and I'm big into separation of Church and State. I absolutely refuse to send him to a Cathloc/Christian school but can't find much without having to pay FOUR FUCKING GRAND A YEAR for the privilege of sending him to a secular secondary school. And even then, in the fee paying, supposedly secular schools that i've looked at they still have bible studies...what the fuck?? There's no real equivilant to the Educate Together schools at secondary level where i live and i'm not sure if i could cope with paying that kind of money for a fee paying school. My family are all telling me to get over it and just send him to the local Cathloic School but it's such bollox. I just can't believe that there's no real choice. Anyone aware of any schools like this around the southside - I know Mount Temple over on Howth Road is meant to be decent but it's way too far away. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, rant over.

:mad: !bog :eek: !bog:confused:!bog:mad:

find a jesus school that will agree to him opting out of RE classes entirely?

although i've been told it's an exam subject now? madness.

I just can't believe that there's no real choice. Anyone aware of any schools like this around the southside - I know Mount Temple over on Howth Road is meant to be decent but it's way too far away. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NewPark near Blackrock is meant to be cool, all the kids were hoodies as a uniform and loads of the lads have long hair. Meant to very progressive. No idea if it's $$$ or what...

religious education is great. it's not catholic brainwashing...
well, it shouldn't be.
but, ya know.

We opted out of the RE classes although I used to go every so often for a laugh. The ones I attended weren't overly dogmatic.

religious education is great. it's not catholic brainwashing...
well, it shouldn't be.
but, ya know.

Yes religious education is great and i've no problem with him learning about various religions and belief systems, as he does already. But religious instruction is an entirely different thing. Why should I have to pay four grand a year so that my child doesn't have to stand up every morning and proclaim his faith/love/belief/whatever in someone/something he doesn't believe in and is no part of? Why is there little other choice? It is brainwashing when you realise that about 97% of schools in this country are church funded and therefore church-led.

As for asking to be excused from RE, i don't think that's generally accepted according to some of the schools i've checked out...they also often want proof on admission such as a baptismal cert or whatever and will naturally accept Catholic kids before anyone else. I've no problem with that..it's the lack of choice and freedom that i have a problem with. I don't think its reasonable to just say 'ah sure send him, he can ignore it' when it's there every day in his face.

Some examples... (School B particularly creeps me out)

School A;

Conscious of the mission of Jesus: “I have come that they may have life and have it to the full”(John 10:10), we aim to have a school community which is concerned with people as sons and daughters of God. By enrolling in the College, parents/ guardians and their children commit themselves to actively supporting and respecting the ethos of the College in particular in regards to our identity as a Catholic and Carmelite School. This will include participating in the religious and liturgical life of the College.

School B:

In so far as is possible, pupils in XXXXXX are helped to integrate into their lives a deep and mature faith, founded on a solid knowledge of Christian teaching; to grow in judgement and sensibility, aesthetic sense, self-expression, a sense of community and of civil and social duty; and in depth of understanding. Parents who send their children to XXXXXXX share these ideals. They know, as does the school, that the fostering of growth towards them demands a common approach which underlines all educational effort. They know too, as does the school, that the ultimate success of all their efforts depends on God's grace and that the fulfilment of all education is found in His love.

School C:

The belief is that all the work and activities of the college fall under God’s guidance. Worship is an important aspect of College life, through daily Assemblies and special services. Through its religious education programmes the Christian message is taught, emphasising the importance and relevance of Holy Scripture, with opportunities given for discussion of moral and spiritual issues and values.

How about not living in Ireland?

Actually was supposed to move to France three years ago - got to the point where I had his name down in several schools, applied for jobs etc. but it fell through for various reasons.

I would consider moving somewhere else in Dublin though if needs be. Pantone 247 thanks for the NewPark tip..it's a bit far but could be manageable. It's protestant in history but multi-denominational in philospphy from what i can see on their website. I'm all in favour of co-ed schools too. Nice one. It's also non fee paying. Will check it out.

Did your folks have to ask before you started could you opt out?

Yeah they had to ask and go in and discuss it quite a bit. I'd say it helped that they are non christian religion(baha'i) although I'm pretty sure the one protestant kid in our year opted out as well. I was still surrounded by Catholicism such as our father's or hail mary's at the start of class and all that kinda stuff.

I kinda like having a working knowledge of Catholicism seeing as we live in a country where most laws and morals are Catholic ones. Know your enemy and all that.

hey Billy sure isn't it the case that in your adopted nation you have to go to mass and all this kind of crack to get your kid into a catholic school, and many of the best schools are catholic? I've friends over beyond who go to great pains - going to mass after decades of atheism, church-bashing etc, even moving house to be near the school - to get their kids into school. I've even heard of people who rent a property in the area, just to have an adress there. And the school comes and inspects your house - even the kid's bedroom - to make sure it's actually where they live.

It's all rather amusing.

hey Billy sure isn't it the case that in your adopted nation you have to go to mass and all this kind of crack to get your kid into a catholic school, and many of the best schools are catholic? I've friends over beyond who go to great pains - going to mass after decades of atheism, church-bashing etc, even moving house to be near the school - to get their kids into school. I've even heard of people who rent a property in the area, just to have an adress there. And the school comes and inspects your house - even the kid's bedroom - to make sure it's actually where they live.

It's all rather amusing.

Yeah. That can happen alright. But they're not very religious here. So they're far more used to people not doing RE.

Anyway, the missus is a teacher so, ratherly naively, I think everything will be fine.

Yeah they had to ask and go in and discuss it quite a bit. I'd say it helped that they are non christian religion(baha'i) although I'm pretty sure the one protestant kid in our year opted out as well. I was still surrounded by Catholicism such as our father's or hail mary's at the start of class and all that kinda stuff.

I kinda like having a working knowledge of Catholicism seeing as we live in a country where most laws and morals are Catholic ones. Know your enemy and all that.

Ha, I was raised baha'i and went to a catholic school as well. I wasn't allowed to opt out of things like mass, RE classes etc. and we had a particularly gruff priest who used to go on and on about the fires of hell. Scared the piss out of me at the age of 6, I tells ya. I don't think I could put my kids through the same thing.

Ha, I was raised baha'i and went to a catholic school as well. I wasn't allowed to opt out of things like mass, RE classes etc. and we had a particularly gruff priest who used to go on and on about the fires of hell. Scared the piss out of me at the age of 6, I tells ya. I don't think I could put my kids through the same thing.

I was in a protestant national school which I don't really remember much about so it couldn't have been that bad thankfully.

I was in a protestant national school which I don't really remember much about so it couldn't have been that bad thankfully.

It affected me so profoundly that even though the religion I was raised in doesn't teach/believe the concept of heaven and hell, I honestly thought that because I hadn't been baptised I was going to hell. I begged my mother to get me baptised and she refused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back