Jaysus cycling! (19 Viewers)

well, at least the front wheel had the good grace to leave a bit of clearance to the down tube, so it's actually still cyclable, once you readjusted the cables.

HIGH-SPEED CYCLING ON CITY FOOTPATHS

• Madam, - I wonder if it will take a serious injury or even a death before the Garda or Dublin City Council act against the increasing menace of people cycling at speed on busy city pavements.
    I have to "look right, look left and look right again" before I can safely exit my home on to a fairly narrow footpath that is increasingly used by cyclists apparently oblivious to the danger they present. And even in the city centre cyclists are now routinely using the footpaths, usually at speed. - Yours, etc,
    SEAN FINN,
    Faulkner's Terrace,
    Kilmainham,

poor guy. Shame on us cyclists. I don't know what footpath hes talking about but I'm gonna find out and go there and stand and wait for cyclists to come cycling up so that I can give out to them for subjecting this poor guy to hell.

Incidently I nearly got knocked down by a car yesterday. And nearly got cycled into by a cyclist (carrying a fucking umbrella would you believe) this morning.

Good times

poor guy. Shame on us cyclists. I don't know what footpath hes talking about but I'm gonna find out and go there and stand and wait for cyclists to come cycling up so that I can give out to them for subjecting this poor guy to hell.

Incidently I nearly got knocked down by a car yesterday. And nearly got cycled into by a cyclist (carrying a fucking umbrella would you believe) this morning.

Good times

How many people have been killed by a cyclist? Globally.

I'm gonna guess one, just for the hell of it.

As long as idiot Governments bow down to the car industry

I will cycle all over the shop.

Idiot Governments. :)

Someone gets killed by a cyclist in NYC every now and again.
I have heard of a few since I got here.

You have couriers on fixers, doing about 25mph not even slowing down for red lights.
People get knocked over, people get killed. Its going to happen.
I personally have brushed people stepping out for taxis, and I have braced for impact.
Even a bike race I marshaled killed someone the year previous.
This old dear wandered out into a pack of 60 odd riders.
Brown bread.

honest to god, when you see / feel a pack of riders bearing down on you, you will be under no misapprehensions.
You have as much chance as being hit by a bus.

They are always fucking old dears too.
I'M OLLLLDDDDD, I CAN WALK ON THE ROAD IF I LIIIIIIKE.

I'm fucking driving at them on a motorbike, full beams, horn on, trying to herd the fuck back into the crowd, and they are pointing out their civil rights to me.

How much? Depends on the frame. I'd say typically a frame is about 60% of the overall cost of the bike.
they have ridley triton s frames in cyclelogical for €395 at the mo; much cheaper than i expected. carbon forks.

i was told it'd be about €100 to have the parts swapped from my old one.

also, i'd say it'd be much easier to claim on insurance at that price.

honest to god, when you see / feel a pack of riders bearing down on you, you will be under no misapprehensions.
You have as much chance as being hit by a bus.
from hearing the peloton during the milk ras a few years ago, you'd have more warning than a bus would give.

they have ridley triton s frames in cyclelogical for €395 at the mo; much cheaper than i expected. carbon forks.

i was told it'd be about €100 to have the parts swapped from my old one.

also, i'd say it'd be much easier to claim on insurance at that price.

just had a look at that there. Looks sweet. Found a site where a full Ridley Triton is 1,400 euro and is well spec'd. Nice looking bike too. Go for it.

yeah, i reckon i'll go for it. is there any merit in going for a slightly better frame? bear in mind that the parts are seven years old, but in good nick, and i only get out about three times a week for about 20 miles.

Good times

response today - quite well put

CYCLISTS ON CITY PAVEMENTS

• Madam, - Sean Finn (May 27th) is rightly concerned by the number of cyclists riding on Dublin's pavements, but I wonder if he understands what factors might motivate riders to quit the road in favour of the pavement for part of their journeys.
    Riding on the pavement confers no advantage to the rider in terms of journey time or convenience. It is an obstacle course and it certainly does pedestrians no favour either, as he points out. The Dublin Cycling Campaign, the advocacy body for commuting cyclists, does not condone this practice; but it is important for the city's traffic officials and the Garda to understand why some riders don't wish to cycle on the city's roads.
    The millions of euro spent - or wasted, depending on your view - on so-called cycling infrastructure has not resulted in a quantum increase in the number of commuters taking up the bike and leaving the car at home. Newcomer cyclists, in particular, find the city streets hostile due to congestion; the proliferation of high-speed, multi-lane, one-way streets and multi-lane gyratories, such as D'Olier/Westmoreland streets, so beloved by traffic engineers (to achieve a high throughput of vehicles); and finally to the crowding of too many buses, coaches and taxis into what are mostly sub-standard lanes that bring these wide-bodied vehicles too close to the rider for comfort and above all, safety.
    What doesn't help either is the proliferation of wide-bodied and domineering SUV/4x4 and van-type vehicles that now make up about 10 per cent of the taxi and private car fleet.
    The response of some riders is to conclude that there is no parity of esteem for bicycles and they take to the pavements to protect their lives.
    Unless these issues are addressed then there will be no increase in commuting by bike and sustainable travel goals will not be met. - Yours, etc,
    MIKE McKILLEN, Chairman, Dublin Cycling Campaign, Seaview Terrace, Dublin 4.

EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE:
Each candidate must, on the latest date for receipt of completed application forms:
(a) hold an honours degree (level 8 in the National Framework of Qualifications) or
equivalent professional qualification in engineering,
(b) have at least seven years satisfactory experience of engineering works including for a
period of not less than four years satisfactory experience in civil engineering work,
(c) be capable of dealing efficiently with the range of engineering work undertaken by a
local authority, and
(d) possess a high standard of technical training and experience and of administrative
experience.

not really related, but related, theres some idiot tearing round letterkenny on one of those segway things all week, and i hate him for introducing a segway to letter=kenny and trying to look cool and mostly for using electric transport to get around a town thats not even a km long. i've been contemplating taking him out with my bike, i was wondering if anyone has hit one of these things before?? its a rigid mountain bike so i fancy its chances.

Users who are viewing this thread

• M
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back