Jaysus cycling! (8 Viewers)

Didn’t mention this before for fear you would think I’m some kind of troublemaker cyclist, considering my other story about the taxi rage incident but I thought I’d let you know what happened to me a few months ago!!

I was cycling up Nicholas Street towards the junction at Christ Church. As I was going straight ahead in the bike lane a car turning left to go down Thomas Street cut dangerously in front of me. As the line of traffic that he was joining to turn left was stopped at a red light he ended up stopping right in front of me with the back of his car in the bike lane. As I went by I stopped and knocked on his window and told him to be careful. He proceeded to open his car door and hit me with the door about 4 times on the arm. He didn’t hurt me but was ranting and raving that I had no right to touch his car. I wasn’t hurt but was really shocked. A woman in a car shouted at him to stop and told him she had seen him cut me up on the road and another man stopped to ask if I was ok. I told him I was reporting him to the Guards and put his registration number in my phone. He drove off and I ended up crying and shaking at the side of the road. It was horrible.

I reported the incident to the Guards and I have to say the Guard who I dealt with me was really concerned and supportive. A couple of weeks later he rang to say he had been out to speak to Mr. Angry and he admitted that he had been in the area at the time but denied having any altercation with a cyclist. The woman who had stopped to ask if I was alright said she would ring the Guards when she got into work but I wasn’t together enough to get her details and she never reported it. Or if she did, and it was to her local station, they have no way of cross referencing reports. The Guard said that basically without witnesses it was my word against his and it was up to the Deputy Sergeant to decide if there was enough evidence to go to court, but in his experience if Mr. Angry continued to deny that anything happened, it would probably go nowhere. He said that if I wanted to pursue it I could go in and make a formal statement and it would mean that Mr. Angry would have to come in and give one too. I thought that at the very least I would inconvenience the cunt and make a statement, thus ensuring that he had to give up some time to the matter and it might make him think about hitting a cyclist again.

I made the statement and now its all in the hands of the Deputy Sergeant, however I’m realistic that it isn’t going anywhere. When I was giving the statement I happened to glance at the Guard’s notebook and I saw Mr. Angry’s name and address. It rang a bell with me and when I went back into work I ran his name on my system. It turns out he is a rich bastard property developer/legal advisor (not solicitor) who lives in Dublin 6 and owns a few different properties in Dublin 6 and Dublin 4! I’m kind of over the whole thing now but I was scared for a while at what I might do with that information!!!!

Sorry, that’s a bit of a badly written essay!

So, the million dollar question is do I continue knocking on windows or do I just try to rise above it! At this stage I thinks it just too risky to take people up on their dangerous driving.

Y'see, ordinarily I'm all for a bit of driver education BUT I'm beginning to wonder is it worth it, particularly when its one person's word against another and the likelihood is that the case will never go to court. I'm female, 5ft 5 and 9 1/2 stone and both the men I have had aggro from have been much bigger. Mr. Angry was so riled up I really believe if had been able to get out of the car (my bike was preventing him from doing so), he was so worked up that he would have hit me. As much as I would like to educate some of the drivers out there on behalf of all (law abiding!) cyclists, I'm not happy to put myself in physical danger for them. Maybe I've just been unlucky, but two really horrible encounters like that in the space of a few weeks have made me thinks its not worth the risk. After the most recent one I ditched my bike for about a week as my confidence was so shook and family and friends are insiting I don't knock on anyone's window again. I kind of see the knock on the window as our equivalent of a beep of a horn and it does annoy me that there is no other way of letting people like that know what they have done. Maybe I need to invest in an air horn!!

Hmmm, yeah.

Well like, the other option is to have the phone handy and ring the local Garda station every time something like this happens. There’s a chap on boards who claims to have done this over 200 times. Sometimes there’s follow up by the guards, sometimes there isn’t.

But knocking on a window and saying “be careful” is usually a much handier way to get a motorist to think about what they’re doing. Most times it’s a lapse in concentration on the motorists part rather than them being maniacs, and so it’s probably a sounder way of dealing with your fellow road users. Saves on phone credit if nothing else.

BUT, a grumpy guard might take the view that knocking on a car window is an illegal act, which I think it technically is.

But in this case, the guy assaulted you. If he walked up to you in a supermarket or somewhere and punched you in the face you wouldn’t hesitate to report him.

I dunno. I’ve never been in a position to knock on a window, but most times when I’ve given a dirty look to someone the driver responds with an apologetic wave. And while I’ve had a few big screaming matches, no one’s ever had a go at me. I must be very lucky or something.

In summation: I don’t know. Hope this helps.

Also, this is supposed to sound MASSIVE:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ACAMJC/?tag=thumpedcom-20

A lad in a car knocked me off the bike in Bray once and drove off. I was fairly used to crashing at this point, and I was grand. But a motorbike courier saw it, asked if I was ok, and then shot past me after your man to kick the shit out of his car.

I thought that was sound.

The point is though, its very easy for these lads to ping you over, and motor off. You are softer than they are in their cars. There is some logic to just trying to remember their reg plate, and doing things that way.

He proceeded to open his car door and hit me with the door about 4 times on the arm.

The Guard said that basically without witnesses it was my word against his dangerous driving.

So he's gonna get away with assaulting you because it's your word against his? The least you can do is scratch that fuckers car. After all,it would be your word agains his.

Thanks! The odd night lying in bed I like to think of ways to inconvenience the little short arse prick and his bmw convertible!!:eek::p

advice please! i recently cleaned and replaced the bearings in the front hub of my mountain bike. it's a shimano deore HB-M510. problem is i can't refit the rubber seals without causing friction when the wheel turns. does anyone know if i might be doing something wrong or if these seals can be refitted successfully? cheers.

I was looking forward to my cycle home yesterday soooooo much, cause it was a gorgeous evening, but there were so many complete IDIOTS dpoing STUPID dangerous things on the road (in cars, on foot and on other bikes) I couldn't relax for a milisecond. Anyone else find that good weather sends people on the road a bit mad?

Happened again yesterday! Gorgeous evening, wankers everywhere. A van swerved into a different lane right in front of me without indicating, I nearly collided with a cyclist nonchalantly cycling down the wrong side of of the road when I turned a corner. He did apologise, but why was he even doing that? It was a 2-way street! And don't get me started on pedestrians in standing in the cycle lanes! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Maybe I should only cycle in the pissing rain?

advice please! i recently cleaned and replaced the bearings in the front hub of my mountain bike. it's a shimano deore HB-M510. problem is i can't refit the rubber seals without causing friction when the wheel turns. does anyone know if i might be doing something wrong or if these seals can be refitted successfully? cheers.
Normally we would never take the seals out, just clean them.
Emm. Can you inject oil into where the seals sit, and leave the seals in a jar of hot water to soften them, then lube the seal up and try and help them bed in? Or have you tried that?

Normally we would never take the seals out, just clean them.
Emm. Can you inject oil into where the seals sit, and leave the seals in a jar of hot water to soften them, then lube the seal up and try and help them bed in? Or have you tried that?

i'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. i had to remove the rubber seals in order to access the cones and the bearings.

it's number 2 in this diagram (pdf):
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/t.../HB/EV-HB-M510-1894_v1_m56577569830608978.pdf

i'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. i had to remove the rubber seals in order to access the cones and the bearings.

it's number 2 in this diagram (pdf):
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/t.../HB/EV-HB-M510-1894_v1_m56577569830608978.pdf

hmm.
They should go back in no problems.
I dunno what the problem is there. Is it very noticeable?

I mean, could it be that you have not tightened the cones enough, or that the bearings you put in are not precisely the same size as the ones you took out? Metric vrs Imperial or something?

hmm.
They should go back in no problems.
I dunno what the problem is there. Is it very noticeable?

I mean, could it be that you have not tightened the cones enough, or that the bearings you put in are not precisely the same size as the ones you took out? Metric vrs Imperial or something?

yeah, it's weird. pretty sure the bearings are the right size. the cones are adjusted properly. i took the rubber seals off yesterday and the difference was unbelievable, so i reckon they are definitely the problem. thanks for your help anyway.

wow, say they'd be mad weird to cycle.

speaking of weird bike things: found out about the nu vinci no-gears hub the other day. may be old news to some of yis.

new_cvt_diag.gif

http://www.fallbrooktech.com/NuVinci.asp

mad fuckers

It's new news to me. That is genius if it actually works.

They have been talking about these sort of things for years. Always the weight issue seems to get them in the end. They always look like they are just about to get through to production... and then...

It really shows how genius an idea the derailleur was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back