Jaysus cycling! (6 Viewers)

was reading some nerdy cycle forum discussions and they seemed to say that they are not very durable and deffinately couldn't be applied to mountain biking. the nu vinci is in production. not widly available but you can buy bikes that have them.

derailers are great, especially since you don't have to be an expert to fix them when they go wrong - you can work it out by looking at it for the most part. still though, most people wouldn't try to fix them. considering they need a lot of attention in terms of cleaning and adjustment, they have some major flaws - at least in wet countries like ireland.

been looking at the rohloff speedhub a bit lately. i'm tempted!

There'd be no torque on it, it would slip all over the place. But the concept itself is deadly.

Btw, derailleur's aren't that easy to fix until you know how to fix them. And until you do know, it is an impenetrable mystery. I was fiddling with mine for months until one day I looked at it and said "Of courrsssse, it's so simple!". It was a good moment.

But I reckon that's why people don't fix them or look after them. It's a bit intimidating and confusing until you really take some time to figure it out.

yeah, but easy compared to the alternatives...

rohloff-cut.jpg

On my way in this morning my saddle literally disintegrated. I felt a crack and it just fell off nearly taking me with it.

I picked it up along with two little slabs of metal. I'm sure a few bolts were on the road but the traffic was too heavy to see.

Anyone experience something like this?

Gonna bring it to penny farthings at lunch - i went there at 10.15 and they were shut the lazy sods.

bad buzz man. was it loose before it snapped? i've seen the bolt holding the clamping system that holds the saddle on the seatpost snap before. if it was loose before then you may need a new seatpost and a new saddle as the metal of both could be damaged in such a way that it will keep coming loose no matter how often you tighten it. though that is just worse case scenario.

bad buzz man. was it loose before it snapped? i've seen the bolt holding the clamping system that holds the saddle on the seatpost snap before. if it was loose before then you may need a new seatpost and a new saddle as the metal of both could be damaged in such a way that it will keep coming loose no matter how often you tighten it. though that is just worse case scenario.

Yeah it looks like it gradually came loose and just fell apart. No real damage done and it was fixed in a matter of seconds.

I really need to get into the habit of tightening everything up regularly. Another lesson learned.

Gonna bring it to penny farthings at lunch - i went there at 10.15 and they were shut the lazy sods.

I take that back. :eek:

Yeah it looks like it gradually came loose and just fell apart. No real damage done and it was fixed in a matter of seconds.

I really need to get into the habit of tightening everything up regularly. Another lesson learned.

I take that back. :eek:
You bleedin' want to...no stem for you:)

On my way in this morning my saddle literally disintegrated. I felt a crack and it just fell off nearly taking me with it.

I picked it up along with two little slabs of metal. I'm sure a few bolts were on the road but the traffic was too heavy to see.

Anyone experience something like this?

this exact thing happened to me last year. twice. the first time i just replaced the bolt and tightened it back up again, then it happened again a couple of months later - like dunchee said, you may need to get a new seatpost if the metal parts have been worn down, they'll just keep loosening themselves otherwise. i got a new seatpost the second time and have been fine ever since, though i'm also veeeery careful about tightening everything.

of course, at the moment i have no bicycle, as i left it tethered in parnell st on friday night and some utter fucker decided it'd be great to kick my wheel in. bike currently in bike hospital getting a new back wheel and hopefully its derailleur unbent, otherwise it's a new one of those as well. fuckers.

The bike lock industry has a rating system, it’s on the net somewhere. Basically you want to be getting “Gold” standard locks.

That lock seems alright, but I generally wouldn’t trust Argos with my bicycles security.

No no’s are cable locks (at least on their own). Combination locks are generally regarded as crap. The weight of the lock is a concern for some people, that’s down to your own personal preference.
Knowing how and where to lock your bike properly is essential. For the love of god don’t just lock the front wheel on its own!

Lots of people are fond of the Kryptonite mini U-lock. Fits in your back pocket and doesn’t allow a thief much leverage to force it open because of its size:
here

I have a Kryptonite Evolution IV and a cheapo Abus cable lock. The U-lock goes around the back wheel, frame and immovable object. The cable lock goes round the front wheel, frame and another immovable object. Seems to work so far, touch wood.

Here any tips on a decent lock...are there absolute 'no-no's'? was thinking of a chain like this http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stor...ay?langId=-1&storeId=30001&partNumber=0364007

yer thoughts, folks, please!

depends on how expensive your bike is and where and when you park it.

the best lock advise is to get two different types and lock your bike to a proper bike rack locking the frame and a wheel with each lock, so that the frame is locked twice.

good locks are expensive and heavy but they are much more secure. but there's little point in using a really expensive lock on a cheap bike.

cyclogical on the north quays beside the ha'penny bridge have had kryptonite locks on sale for a while. dunno if they still have them. about 35 quid if i remember correctly but way better than that argos one.

I'm not 11 anymore and I just can't be arsed.
I keep a few spare tubes and that does me.

Hopefully my stance will become moot with my new slick-as-shit tyre.

That's just Celtic Tiger wastefulness isn't it?

Personally I've had two punctures in the last 15 months. I appear to be very lucky on that score.
I have two punctured tubes in my gaff, both for the old bike which I don't use. I'll repair them whenever I start using the old bike again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back