Jaysus cycling! (1 Viewer)

i just cycle dhome but some cunt decided even though i did have right of way, sure he'd just make a turn in front of me anyway. i was going along at a nice pace, my lane was clear, and this fucking dick from teh other lane swerved right in front of me to make a turn. i almost slammed in to the side of his car. honest to fuck, i want to punch him in the face.

i just cycle dhome but some cunt decided even though i did have right of way, sure he'd just make a turn in front of me anyway. i was going along at a nice pace, my lane was clear, and this fucking dick from teh other lane swerved right in front of me to make a turn. i almost slammed in to the side of his car. honest to fuck, i want to punch him in the face.

Ah, certainly the most common of complaints.
Not much can be done about it with the cycle tracks on the left of the road as they are. Just try to stay aware and wear hi viz. You could report it, but it’s so common I think you’d just be laughed at. It is an extremely dangerous thing for motorists to do though.

Ah, certainly the most common of complaints.
Not much can be done about it with the cycle tracks on the left of the road as they are. Just try to stay aware and wear hi viz. You could report it, but it’s so common I think you’d just be laughed at. It is an extremely dangerous thing for motorists to do though.

Wow Seanc you're like the Yoda of cycling now? Time sure flies.

So who's this Sheldon Brown fella?

EVERY FUCKIN DAY this happens to me. What annoys me most is that they spin off down the road so I don't even get the opportunity to call them a cunt through their window. I'm also get really pissed off with the amount of drivers who drive along in the cycle lanes. I usually thump(ed!) the back of their cars as I'm passing and shout something about cycle lanes and getting the fuck out of them. Also, cunts who pass me out and pull right into the side of the road ahead stuck in traffic, thus preventing me from passing when I inevitably catch up get their wing mirrors clipped by my handles.

EVERY FUCKIN DAY this happens to me. What annoys me most is that they spin off down the road so I don't even get the opportunity to call them a cunt through their window. I'm also get really pissed off with the amount of drivers who drive along in the cycle lanes. I usually thump(ed!) the back of their cars as I'm passing and shout something about cycle lanes and getting the fuck out of them. Also, cunts who pass me out and pull right into the side of the road ahead stuck in traffic, thus preventing me from passing when I inevitably catch up get their wing mirrors clipped by my handles.

as a cyclist, i look forward to when the oil runs out in the next 3 years* , we;'ll get our revenge on thos bastard motorists

*estimate figure

of course, one of those bastard motorists would probably steal our bicycle at that time

Also, cunts who pass me out and pull right into the side of the road ahead stuck in traffic, thus preventing me from passing when I inevitably catch up get their wing mirrors clipped by my handles.

oh man that is SO fucking annoying!!!!!!!!! some prick did that to me this morning and i wanted to punch him in the face too.

boo, yes. for some reason, ranelagh seems to be the right-turns-across-cyclists circle of hell, with milltown theological college at the absolute core of it. i am SO careful at the places where this happens all the time, and yet...

my worst recent incident was some utter tool reversing his taxi down the coombe at me when the road was empty. i was so pissed off that i kicked his car and he was too busy looking shocked to do anything. must stop wearing canvas shoes if i'm going to make it a habit.

(any secrets to not having your brakes utterly suck when they're soaked?)

boo, yes. for some reason, ranelagh seems to be the right-turns-across-cyclists circle of hell, with milltown theological college at the absolute core of it. i am SO careful at the places where this happens all the time, and yet...

I have had the misfortune to have to cycle through Ranelagh at rush hour in the evenings for the past few weeks and when I move it will be my new route home. OH MY GOD, its unbelieveable. They are doing the right turns across cyclists, they are pulling out in front of cyclists to join the main road but the traffic isn't moving so they are left blocking the road, they are driving in cycle lanes, they are parking in cycle lanes, they are opening their doors without looking, pedestrians are wandering out on the road without looking. I go half the speed I normally go when cycling through Ranelagh. Around the Spar at Milltown can be a shit the knickers experience too.!bog

You can:
Have disc brakes installed (not really worth the effort though)
Occasionally lightly press the brakes to wipe the layer of water off the rim (but that doesn’t really work I’ve found)
You can get some sort of salmon coloured brake pads, which are somehow better for the wet. Have a google for “wet weather salmon brake pads”
What I found worked best having the professionals fit new pads properly while they serviced it. I could probably do it myself, but it would take me hours.
Also, you could cycle more slowly.

On another, more anally retentive note, legally speaking there’s no such thing as a “cycle lane” in this country, only cycle tracks and cycle ways. Cars are allowed to drive on cycle tracks (but not park on them during the tracks operational hours). Cyclists are legally required to cycle on cycle tracks if they are provided.

edit: Don't know what's going on with my fonts there.

You can:
Occasionally lightly press the brakes to wipe the layer of water off the rim (but that doesn’t really work I’ve found)
You can get some sort of salmon coloured brake pads, which are somehow better for the wet. Have a google for “wet weather salmon brake pads”
What I found worked best having the professionals fit new pads properly while they serviced it. I could probably do it myself, but it would take me hours.

cheers. and, agreeing with daisy's dukes about speed in ranelagh (can i add an astonishing amount of broken glass near the canal to the list?), going too fast is rarely a problem. more the unexpected things turning across you and knowing you can't brake in time...

On another, more anally retentive note, legally speaking there’s no such thing as a “cycle lane” in this country, only cycle tracks and cycle ways. Cars are allowed to drive on cycle tracks (but not park on them during the tracks operational hours). Cyclists are legally required to cycle on cycle tracks if they are provided.

innnteresting. i guess the problem is that cars are never allowed to drive on cyclists, and swerving into the narrow lane right in front of a cyclist (usually without any/adequate indication) makes this pretty probable, no matter what the lines on the road say.

and ranelagh is just taking the piss with parking spaces marked over the cycle unlane for most of the village.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8LOm2VV_nY"]YouTube - Mike Strutter (People who ride bikes)[/ame]

You can:

get good quality pads, fit them properly , keep your cables tight and responsive. if they're really responsive then it's easier to brake really hard, so it's better for stopping in the wet.

bike-carries-car.jpg

ive a question bout disk brakes for any bike people here

is the brakes part of of a diskbrake set up ment to be totally solidly bolted to the fork or is there some movement with it?
got a 2nd hand bike but front brake is loose on the fork and they dont brake very well

Should be solidly bolted.

Another problem you may encounter is that the disc itself can get bent/warped, easily fixed by the right person.

is the brakes part of of a diskbrake set up ment to be totally solidly bolted to the fork or is there some movement with it?
got a 2nd hand bike but front brake is loose on the fork and they dont brake very well

what connects the lever to the calipers?
options are oil or cable.

If its an oil line (like mine) there can be air bubbles in the line which screw up your braking.

To get the bubbles out, get a rubber band and tie the lever squeezed shut, this will let the bubbles rise through the system and bleed out over night.
Give the lines a few taps to help this.

Otherwise you are going to have to re-inject your lines with new oil.

If its wire, you can just monkey about with it and see what the problem is. Wire is pretty simple.

I just checked mine and they are solid as hell.

An oil line is a new one on me.

As for braking in the wet, as somene said, the orange pads work better.
I also wore Docs as a backup on my old rothar.

I just checked mine and they are solid as hell.

An oil line is a new one on me.

Pretty common I think. I dont like cable disk brakes actually, too much stretch in the cable, you get a better feel off hydraulics.

mag-0036933.jpg

and, yeah, of course, the calipers should be rock solidly mounted to the forks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back