Jaysus cycling! (2 Viewers)

'Commuting Solutions' in Rathmines.

The soundest heads ever. They helped me out of an emergency mechanical jam this morning, and a more pleasant bunch I've never encountered.

Give them your business. They'll certainly be getting more of mine.

big .|..| for Commuting Solutions

they're friendly, but... am i naive in thinking that someone servicing a bike is going to look at it carefully beyond maybe checking the tyre pressure, brakes and gears? i nearly went over my handlebars last year when spokes snapped less than a week after they'd serviced my bike, and it was very obvious that they were rusted when i looked closely, but i hadn't looked closely and thought i was paying someone else to do it because i didn't have a minute at the time.

also was less than impressed when i brought back a lock about six months old, where the key had just sheared off in the lock. they were lovely and replaced it, but they said something like, "oh yeah, that happens a lot. don't get another one of these." and they have a rack still full of them at €60 a go.

rah rah rah.

they're friendly, but... am i naive in thinking that someone servicing a bike is going to look at it carefully beyond maybe checking the tyre pressure, brakes and gears? i nearly went over my handlebars last year when spokes snapped less than a week after they'd serviced my bike, and it was very obvious that they were rusted when i looked closely, but i hadn't looked closely and thought i was paying someone else to do it because i didn't have a minute at the time.

yeah, that sounds normal for any bike shop. They give it a once over and focus on the obvious things, such as those you've mentioned.

If I'm gonna leave my bike in for a service (don't do it as often these days cos I can do most stuff myself now), I always give it a thorough going over myself first. That way when I leave it in, I get them to make a note of anything even slightly out of the ordinary (such as loose spokes or whatever) and to check it out.

Its not safe to assume they'll catch everything.

yeah, that sounds normal for any bike shop. They give it a once over and focus on the obvious things, such as those you've mentioned.

If I'm gonna leave my bike in for a service (don't do it as often these days cos I can do most stuff myself now), I always give it a thorough going over myself first. That way when I leave it in, I get them to make a note of anything even slightly out of the ordinary (such as loose spokes or whatever) and to check it out.

Its not safe to assume they'll catch everything.

aye, i'm still learning, and i guess trusting anyone else with your safety is a bad idea anyway. it's just that i can do a lot of stuff but i'm not totally confident in my ability, and i made the mistake of thinking everything's grand after someone who knows more services it.

(as for the shop, i still think the second point was prickery.)

i know they get second hand bikes from cycling safaris to fix up and sell. it would probably depend on what state your bike was in and what you were buying off them.

Cheers.

I have a dawes hybrid thats 2 years old but its gotten tons of mileage. I'm thinking its time to upgrade a bit. I've taken very good care of it but its showing signs of wear. It owes me nothing at this stage.

A guy in the shop where i bought it offered me 80 quid off the higher spec model in the range if i trade in (i paid around 300 for it.) He recommended i upgrade to a Dawes Discovery 301...i think.

I said i'd get back him. I know very little about bikes so i'm gonna look around.

Any recommendations for a commuter bike in the €500-€600 range?

Why have motorists gotten so angry these past few days? The weather is fine. Its brighter for longer. The kids are off school so traffic is lighter. It makes no sense. Maybe they're just not getting laid enough.

Motorists are generally pissed off d'bags that are infuriated with the fact that life behind the wheel hasn't turned out the way the Clio commercial said it would.
When a cyclist whizzes by, it compounds the misery.

Number one complaint on text-in radio shows when they talk about commuting - cyclists. Either we're weaving in and out, have no lights, break red lights or whatever.
Driving makes you bitter.
Fact.

(as for the shop, i still think the second point was prickery.)

aye, not great. I've had a lot of jip with locks over the years. The problem bike shops have is that they don't see to have comeback with the manufacturers themselves. I think its mostly up to the customer to sort it directly with them. So their hands are kind of tied. Shame they didn't just say that though.

Oxford locks are the worst. I've had so much trouble with them, with keys breaking or not turning or whatever. I have a BBB one now. Never had a moments hassle with it.

Number one complaint on text-in radio shows when they talk about commuting - cyclists. Either we're weaving in and out, have no lights, break red lights or whatever.

I'm guilty of 1 and 3 and unapologetically so. I see it as the perks of cycling.
Anyone that has no lights is a tit in my book.

Driving makes you bitter.
Fact.

Yeah, when its your commute. Spending so much time in a car every day has to mess with your head. I dunno how people do it. My commute would want to get damn long before I'd even consider it.

I have a car but drive very little. Its more out of necessity than anything else. The less I use it the better.

Also, is there a Critical Mass event here in Dublin?

I’m 99% sure there is, but I can’t find any info off hand. Think there’s a link somewhere else in the thread.

+1 for commuting solutions. They turned my rusting heap into a viciously graceful machine of cyber-mechanical purple speed. So they did.

I was standing on the pedestrian area by the side of Stephen's Green Shopping Centre on Wednesday evening at 6 when it is really busy with people walking all over the place. Some guy came flying along on a bike through that area and people were literally jumping out of his way. He screamed at some lad in front of him "Get the fuck out of my way" and the lad took a step to the side and then body-checked him to knock him over. Cyclist went flying.
That is all.
Well, it's not on innit. The flying along and shouting I mean.

my new approach is to smile. It drives them nuts.

If they go as far as actually swearing at you, and any further arguing is fruitless, I find politely asking them to repeat themselves drives them insane.

"Sorry, sir, I didn't quite catch that, could you repeat it please?"

Kept this going once with a London cabbie at traffic lights who called me a stupid fucking cunt for daring to try and change lanes - after making eye contact, ensuring he wasn't too close and signalling clearly, of course. He nearly imploded with rage when I said "Sorry, is English your first language? I can't understand you" (I should point out that he was very white and very English.)

WHAT YOU SAY?! WHAT YOU FUCKING SAY YOU CUNT?! YOU FUCKING CUNT! FUCK YOU! DICKHEAD!

I’m ashamed to say I’ve said that a couple of times. Get’s their attention at least. I follow it up with something more reasonable but I should really calm down.
I dunno, I think people need to realise that there’s social consequences to acting the maggot, and being in a car does not make you impervious. I’m probably wrong though.

I'm pickin' up my new Kona tomorrow.
Sexy out....

What shop are you getting that in? I've always liked Konas.

What sort of lock should one get locking bike?

I'm getting rid of my motorbike in favor self propelled bike next month for the cycling to work and stuff. What'll i get for about €400 and what should i be looking for?

Cheers.

I have a dawes hybrid thats 2 years old but its gotten tons of mileage. I'm thinking its time to upgrade a bit. I've taken very good care of it but its showing signs of wear. It owes me nothing at this stage.

A guy in the shop where i bought it offered me 80 quid off the higher spec model in the range if i trade in (i paid around 300 for it.) He recommended i upgrade to a Dawes Discovery 301...i think.

I said i'd get back him. I know very little about bikes so i'm gonna look around.

Any recommendations for a commuter bike in the €500-€600 range?

yer only man

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=38&idproduct=16575

CarVsBusVsBike.jpg

here ,lads and lassies what would ye recommend by way of a comfoertable cycling seat?My present 1 is weasring out my mans part and i need to replacement...haas to be generic;ie bought in shops(cork)

how important are spokes as i've seen this lovely bike that has neem sitting under an eave for the ;ast 6 months the eave protects it against the rain so it has no rust. only four of its spokes on the front are locked with a big fuck off chain im sorely tempted. also there is another racing bike thats wheels and chain are totally fucked but the body is beautifull am sorely tempted to take it. what would yous reccomend

If you cut the spokes, the wheel is bollixed until you replace the spokes and get the wheel trued up.

Some wheels cant really be trued because the nipples are seized, so you might want to give it a good soaking of WD 40 where the spoke goes into the nipple / rim a week before you take it into the shop.

I'm not really going to go into the ethics of robbing bikes though. You really think they are abandoned, not just locked for the winter or something?

how important are spokes as i've seen this lovely bike that has neem sitting under an eave for the ;ast 6 months the eave protects it against the rain so it has no rust. only four of its spokes on the front are locked with a big fuck off chain im sorely tempted. also there is another racing bike thats wheels and chain are totally fucked but the body is beautifull am sorely tempted to take it. what would yous reccomend

Wind-up

Bike thieves are scum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back