Jaysus cycling! (3 Viewers)

i agree but there are loads of abandoned bikes left to rust all over the city too.
Absolutely.
I've seen about 10 bikes rotting for the last couple of years just near my job, and one classic BMW 750cc motorbike. One of them was a lovely bike, used to be anyway.

If the bike is abandoned and rotting, leave a note on it for a month or two maybe, and then take it, do it up, and use it...

There was icicles on my bike this morning.
AND I lost my gloves over the weekend.
AND I fell off the bike this morning.
BUT…I landed on my back, yet the pack of eggs in my backpack came out unscathed. It’s the little things that matter guyz.

I've finally been told that my bike is "beyond economic repair".
I really am very very sad. The idea of spending 20quid die slowly on Dublin Bus for 18hours in every week is unfathomable.
I don't know what to do.

Can't really get a new good bike because I can't afford it, and I sort of plan on maybe not being here in a few months, maybe.
I don't want a shit cheap bike, because its cheap and shit.

20 quid a week?
If you get a loan, for 500 quid off the bank, and pay around 23/24 quid a month, in two years you will have paid for the bike. Or one year at 40 odd euro a month.

The American way Sean. Buy now, pay later. It makes sense though a lot of the time.
Fuck the bus.

I really am very very sad. The idea of spending 20quid die slowly on Dublin Bus for 18hours in every week is unfathomable.
I don't know what to do.

Can't really get a new good bike because I can't afford it, and I sort of plan on maybe not being here in a few months, maybe.

dude, even a shit cheap bike has to beat the bus. hope something handy turns up for you.

unrelatedly...why the fuck would anyone overtake another cyclist on the inside? i'm hugging the left side of the road and every time someone does this, it's a near miss for both of us for no good reason.

20 quid a week?
If you get a loan, for 500 quid off the bank, and pay around 23/24 quid a month, in two years you will have paid for the bike. Or one year at 40 odd euro a month.

The American way Sean. Buy now, pay later. It makes sense though a lot of the time.
Fuck the bus.
Aye, but what if I'm not in the country in 3 months time? Y'know? I've to make some tough decisions....

unrelatedly...why the fuck would anyone overtake another cyclist on the inside? i'm hugging the left side of the road and every time someone does this, it's a near miss for both of us for no good reason.

It's one of my biggest pet hates of cyclists.

Aye, but what if I'm not in the country in 3 months time? Y'know? I've to make some tough decisions....
if you're not in the country for three months leave 80 euro in your account, and have it direct debited out of your account.
If you can afford getting the bus, you can afford to have a 1000 euro bike paid off after 12 months.
I made loans in college and stuff, for things I didn't even properly *need*, I just wanted them, and then paid it off later. I was always heading out of the country for months here and there, so you just stash some cash in your account to cover it.
Sound.
On little loans here and there the interest is fuck all. One less night out, or one night out on the cheap more likely. And in the mean time you have a bike.

Although, I would never have behaved this way if the other half wasn't a yank. She is the one that gives me all these ideas.
Life's too short Phil. Get it now.
OK.

Unrelatedly I dont like that either. I spin about on motorbikes with this (sickeningly good looking) Serbian guy, and the prick loves rallying down the inside on his very loud Ducati. Scares the shite out of me.

I don't know what to do.

what exactly is wrong with it. i may be able to help...

what exactly is wrong with it. i may be able to help...

OK, bear with me.

The block, the crankset and of course the chain need replacing.
It's a 6sp, which they don't have anymore. Maybe they can put a 7speed on it, but they don't know.
The axle at the pedals in unusually narrow, and the mechanic reckons a replacement would cost more than usual, as its an unusual thing. If it's even possible.

Fundamentally, the mechanics point was that he could fix all this and charge me, but since it's such an old bike (maybe 12 or 13 years old and showing it), I would be coming into him every couple of months to fix the next thing that breaks, and that the repairs would get ever wierder and ever less reliable.

Which is fair enough, like.

I asked him about making it a single speed or fixed gear. He said that he'd have to charge me labour, which would be a lot because he'd have to figure out exactly how to make that work. I sort of hope I can do this myself, but I can't quite my head around it. I've read all the online guides.

But basically, I think I'm fucked...

OK, bear with me.

The block, the crankset and of course the chain need replacing.
It's a 6sp, which they don't have anymore. Maybe they can put a 7speed on it, but they don't know.
The axle at the pedals in unusually narrow, and the mechanic reckons a replacement would cost more than usual, as its an unusual thing. If it's even possible.

Fundamentally, the mechanics point was that he could fix all this and charge me, but since it's such an old bike (maybe 12 or 13 years old and showing it), I would be coming into him every couple of months to fix the next thing that breaks, and that the repairs would get ever wierder and ever less reliable.

Which is fair enough, like.

I asked him about making it a single speed or fixed gear. He said that he'd have to charge me labour, which would be a lot because he'd have to figure out exactly how to make that work. I sort of hope I can do this myself, but I can't quite my head around it. I've read all the online guides.

But basically, I think I'm fucked...

is the block a cassette or a freewheel? what part of the fixie stuff can you not get your head around?

Cassette...shimano Altus hyperglide c.

As for the fixed thing, what exactly do I do with the chainring? The online guides all seem to use chainrings that can separate, so you just use one and throw the rest away, whereas with mine the 3 chainrings are one solid component. So, how do I replace it with one ring?
Also, I'd need shorter cranks for clearance.

I don't know what to do.

does your workplace partake in the cycle2work scheme? It's not very popular over here and I don't know much about it but it exists in some form.

does your workplace partake in the cycle2work scheme? It's not very popular over here and I don't know much about it but it exists in some form.

Well here is the definitive answer from the Tánaiste's mouth about that. Don't think there's been any changes in the last three months.
I thought it existed here too.

I can get a new bike...I think I'll follow Flashbacks advice, lifes too short etc.

I can get a new bike...I think I'll follow Flashbacks advice, lifes too short etc.

Heres to living life beyond your means!
Image1-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back