Jaysus cycling! (6 Viewers)

I did 3 once. It was on a mag burner when I was around 13. Then I fell back and cracked my head off the road.

there was always these show-offs that could wheelie the length of the road - like 20 or 30 or however many squares there were. I had the balance of a new-born foal though so never got to be as cool as them.

I had deadly pogo nuts on my mag burner. They were pretty damn cool. So was my laid-back saddle.

My roads weren't made of squares. I could never pop a wheelie. Never particularly hurt myself. Nothing.

Oh, go on then.
I wuv it to bits though, fastest bike in school it was
attachment.php

it looks solid man. is that a reynolds sticker i see on the down tube? that number is it?

basically, you aren't going to be able to do that work unless you have tools, which you dont I am pretty sure.

Em... so, unfortunately, all that may cost a bit, as well as the fitting.
You can buy chain rings, and a chain breaker, and maybe just a new single speed back wheel (fixed or not) and you will be able to do that job yourself.

As for the sprockets, cassettes, freewheels, all that needs very specific tools, and a chain whip, and a fuck off vice.

if i need a freewheel removed i just go to my local bike shop. they wouldn't usually charge anything.

could buy a chain, freewheel and a new set of cranks and chainrings on the internet for about 50 euro. you'd need a crank extractor and a chain breaker too. about 65 would do it i reckon. bog standard quality though so would probably be heavy.

if i need a freewheel removed i just go to my local bike shop. they wouldn't usually charge anything.

could buy a chain, freewheel and a new set of cranks and chainrings on the internet for about 50 euro. you'd need a crank extractor and a chain breaker too. about 65 would do it i reckon. bog standard quality though so would probably be heavy.

That's true actually. Sometimes I even did it for free, if the wheel was prepped up, clean and handed to me.
But, he doesnt seem to want to, (or cant? although I dont believe that) buy new sprockets, so I think that is by the by I suppose.
The cranks he has are grand. He can just change the chain rings, right?

He wont need to pull the crank unless he is going to service the bottom bracket.

Which might not be a bad idea.

its not too late. Theres still time. If there are no roads made of squares where you live, head down to templeogue. Theres loads there.

Did anyone just go all the way back and land on their head?
Oh man. I was in a hoop. Completely winded too. I had long hair, and maybe even... ahem... had it tied back into a pony tail... which probably saved a fractured skull.

No excuse though. For the pony tail that is.

Did anyone just go all the way back and land on their head?
Oh man. I was in a hoop. Completely winded too. I had long hair, and maybe even... ahem... had it tied back into a pony tail... which probably saved a fractured skull.

No excuse though. For the pony tail that is.

no, no excuse at all.

Yeah I cracked my head. Wasn't pretty. I was lucky I didn't hit it harder or that'd have been the end of poor me

That's true actually. Sometimes I even did it for free, if the wheel was prepped up, clean and handed to me.
But, he doesnt seem to want to, (or cant? although I dont believe that) buy new sprockets, so I think that is by the by I suppose.

He wont need to pull the crank unless he is going to service the bottom bracket.

yeah, unfortunately you could pay more for three chainrings than a crankset with 'integrated' (or non-replaceable) chainrings. the original crankset may be like this already. depends on whether they are 5 or 4 bolt and what the bolt circle diamater is. some are more rare than others it seems so it may be hard to get cheaper ones. you'd probably need a crank puller to change the small sprocket if you were changing the rings anyway. makes it easier to clean the whole area too. they are only 7 euro post paid from chainreactioncycles.

but yeah, you're right, seanc wants to upgrade. i just had to put it out there. i've met loads of bike shops who'll tell you it's not worth it and to get a new bike. in terms of labour it's probably correct but none of the work is too difficult.

but yeah, you're right

wow, bikes for over a grand, thats mad.

I was feeling like a crazy man on a cocaine binge throwing cash and Cristal at a bevvy of high class Russian courtasans because I'm talking a friend of mine into selling me this for €500.*

Now I just feel like a shabby wino feeling himself up on a park bench. Boo.

*he might not sell it because it was a present.
that said what do people think of it? I'm moving job soon and according to the DTO possible communtes could take anything between 46 and 66 mins. I want a lighter, faster bike to what I currently have.

I was feeling like a crazy man on a cocaine binge throwing cash and Cristal at a bevvy of high class Russian courtasans because I'm talking a friend of mine into selling me this for €500.*

that said what do people think of it? I'm moving job soon and according to the DTO possible communtes could take anything between 46 and 66 mins. I want a lighter, faster bike to what I currently have.

wheres your commute from/to? That bike looks well decent. Sounds like you're getting a bargain too.

it looks solid man. is that a reynolds sticker i see on the down tube? that number is it?

Yeah, it’s a Reynold’s lugged steel frame. I have no idea what the number is.

Chain rings are this:
http://www.lifecyclesuk.com/catalogue/view_product.php?product=FCCT93C244C
(actually, I was told they didn't make these anymore by a bike shop guy)

*If* getting a replacement cassette of some sort is possible, I don’t want to get inferior parts y’know? What’s the point like?
If I was to fix the bike, I’d defo do the work myself.

the cranks, they’re attached to the rings. Problem with this is that there’s 2 or 3 teeth that always take all the force of a heavy push, they’re worn to nubs at this stage.

And yeah, I do want to upgrade. I think there’s more I could be doing with bikes that I can’t do now.

wheres your commute from/to? That bike looks well decent. Sounds like you're getting a bargain too.

From Blackhorse Avenue - To: a bunch of possibilities

- its a local authority job so I'm not sure whereexactly I'll end up.

Scutter that bike's lovely fair play. Was looking at the Canyon mountain bikes, seem really well speced for the prices. I think I'll add one to my wishlist.

I'm half way through servicing my road bike, gears are next and I've never done them before so it should be fun.

Scutter that bike's lovely fair play. Was looking at the Canyon mountain bikes, seem really well speced for the prices. I think I'll add one to my wishlist.

I'm half way through servicing my road bike, gears are next and I've never done them before so it should be fun.

they're deadly to deal with too. Typical German efficiency!! Its all good.

the only concern would be right in the city where the roads tend to be the worst. That thing looks like it has good thick tires on it though so would be grand I reckon.

It says it's designed for single track so it should be just the job for Dublin I reckon. I'd snap that up for 500 quid(if I had 500 quid and needed a road bike that is).

I did 3 once. It was on a mag burner when I was around 13. Then I fell back and cracked my head off the road.

there was always these show-offs that could wheelie the length of the road - like 20 or 30 or however many squares there were. I had the balance of a new-born foal though so never got to be as cool as them.
longest wheelie i ever pulled (on my raleigh strika) happened when i pulled a wheelie and the front wheel fell off.

wow, looks nice. anyone have any info on these brakes - "Finally, brake levers mounted on top of the bar help you maintain control at all times."

Yeah, it’s a Reynold’s lugged steel frame. I have no idea what the number is.

Chain rings are this:
http://www.lifecyclesuk.com/catalogue/view_product.php?product=FCCT93C244C
(actually, I was told they didn't make these anymore by a bike shop guy)

*If* getting a replacement cassette of some sort is possible, I don’t want to get inferior parts y’know? What’s the point like?
If I was to fix the bike, I’d defo do the work myself.

the cranks, they’re attached to the rings. Problem with this is that there’s 2 or 3 teeth that always take all the force of a heavy push, they’re worn to nubs at this stage.

And yeah, I do want to upgrade. I think there’s more I could be doing with bikes that I can’t do now.

ah yeah, i know you wanna upgrade. i think i was just making a general point because very often bikes are scrapped because they are 'write-offs' or whatever. i find that a bit depressing.

reckon it would make a nice sturdy fixie. there was a guy talking about doing a build-yourself-a-fixie workshop in seomra spraoi sometime. if i see him i'll ask him when and if he's still doing it.

it's saying 93 minutes for a commute (though i chose a different route) which i would usually have done in under an hour. my best time was 47 minutes, it was usually about 55.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back